IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Armata vs filifera cold hardiness

Armata79

On 1/5/2023 at 12:27 AM, fr8train said:

Interesting, I thought it burnt, but hopefully it's happily transplanted elsewhere. 

I went down to an area that I read about armata growing here in San Antonio today, and they look great. Completely unfazed by a recent freeze. 

20230104-165822.jpg

• Like 7

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

On the other hand I'm seeing burnt robustas everywhere. Filifera look ok, but much more burnt than these armatas. I'm not sure how cold it got as I was out of town that week, maybe someone else from the San Antonio area can chime in. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, fr8train said:

On the other hand I'm seeing burnt robustas everywhere. Filifera look ok, but much more burnt than these armatas. I'm not sure how cold it got as I was out of town that week, maybe someone else from the San Antonio area can chime in. 

Thanks for posting these. Did you also take some pictures of filifera in the area? I get the feeling filifera’s are less leaf hardy than armatas in places where there is humidity around the freeze period. But i am no expert on US climates. It’s interesting though that my armatas never experience leaf damage even though Amsterdam is really wet during autumn and winter. 

• Like 3

On 12/28/2022 at 9:31 PM, Armata79 said:

Thanks Axel for sharing your experiences with those species. So far, armata is winning the race against filifera. What a pity that armata is not more often seen in temperate gardens. So much beauty and potential in this specific plant. This is also due to the fact that brahea armata are much more expensive than washingtonias, especially if you want larger specimens.

definitely armata....I live in the same climate as Axel and in the past I have tryed Washingtonia's a lot but they can not take much frost in our humid winters and rot easily. B. armata is growing here for over 14 years without any problem. They do take a few years to adopt and establish wel in our climate and are slow but once they have some size and are well established they start to grow well and can take a lot of cold humid weather. I think it is best to start with a small plant that can easily kept dry for the first winters.  When such a palm gets to big to protect it should be well established and it can grow on it's own. I also grow B. moorei but this one I keep dry over winter. This is easy because of the small size of this palm. B. edulis is also present but the leaves are lost during cold spels with lows of -6/ -8 and it often shows damaged spears after such winters but it recovers fast during the growing season.

The picture of the B. edulis shows the damage of a cold spell we had a couple of weeks ago with almost every night subzero temps with lows of max -5°C for around 10 days. This was in combination with very humid weather.

edulis.jpg

arma2.jpg

arma1.jpg

moorei.jpg

• Like 9

They look great Kristof, i remember pictures of these as small plants. Amazing these desertpalms do so well here.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:12 PM, fr8train said:

Small Filifera were burned some.  I have larger Filifera that had zero burning.  None.  I have seen a lot that have no burning.  Do you see any burning on this Filifera. I don’t   This is from today.  This is in New Braunfels TX  

307F2879-C726-409E-A7D4-9FCEBAD18154.jpeg

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Thanks for posting these. Did you also take some pictures of filifera in the area? I get the feeling filifera’s are less leaf hardy than armatas in places where there is humidity around the freeze period. But i am no expert on US climates. It’s interesting though that my armatas never experience leaf damage even though Amsterdam is really wet during autumn and winter. 

Here's one from today, I'll try to take more pictures the next time I go out.

20230102-173206.jpg

By comparison here's how all the robusta look around the city:

20230108-180707.jpg

• Like 3

Here's what I think is a filifera in Fair Oaks Ranch, it's the only Washingtonia around here that isn't completely burnt to a crisp.

20230109-172634.jpg

20230109-172705.jpg

This area gets a bit colder than San Antonio from what I understand, but maybe it's a hybrid. Even European fan palms here are burned. Sabals and Trachycarpus are unscathed though. 

• Like 2

That’s an interesting palm, it seems similar to this one in Portugal with very long hastula’s. Do you know the name of the street?

65288404-F23C-4BEF-A964-E49025D25D28.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fr8train said:

Here's what I think is a filifera in Fair Oaks Ranch, it's the only Washingtonia around here that isn't completely burnt to a crisp.

20230109-172634.jpg

20230109-172705.jpg

This area gets a bit colder than San Antonio from what I understand, but maybe it's a hybrid. Even European fan palms here are burned. Sabals and Trachycarpus are unscathed though. 

Ok they’re not burned as bad in New Braunfels. They range from no damage to a little damage. Here’s my big one with little damage. My medium sized one has no damage. 

F2487ABE-7173-4A3D-AD4C-377439743ECF.jpeg

22B99E9A-85AF-4065-8866-417D68E774A5.jpeg

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

That’s an interesting palm, it seems similar to this one in Portugal with very long hastula’s. Do you know the name of the street?

65288404-F23C-4BEF-A964-E49025D25D28.jpeg

Here's it is, the last time the Google car swung by was over a decade ago though:

29306 Sumpter Dr
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1H7fHh7Eo3WZuLTr8

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

Ok they’re not burned as bad in New Braunfels. They range from no damage to a little damage. Here’s my big one with little damage. My medium sized one has no damage. 

F2487ABE-7173-4A3D-AD4C-377439743ECF.jpeg

22B99E9A-85AF-4065-8866-417D68E774A5.jpeg

Yeah I drove through New Braunfels today and the palms looked less burned than in my immediate area. 

58 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Thanks, are you both convinced the one in fair oaks ranch is filifera?

Not sure, maybe it's a hybrid? 

12 hours ago, fr8train said:

Yeah I drove through New Braunfels today and the palms looked less burned than in my immediate area. 

Maybe you got colder than the airport low of 16F. 

3 minutes ago, amh said:

The Fair Oaks Ranch area was 12F to 13F, which isn't abnormal.

Looks about right based on the damage. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2023 at 1:22 AM, fr8train said:

20230109-172634.jpg

20230109-172705.jpg

I found another one in Portugal, aimilar to yours. I don’t know if this is filifera

950333A4-E996-4E10-B79C-E11367478516.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

I found another one in Portugal, aimilar to yours. I don’t know if this is filifera

950333A4-E996-4E10-B79C-E11367478516.jpeg

Not too far, there is also this classic filifera

5D4C4D4A-0992-4280-B83C-07A52B0DA6F7.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam