IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Palmpedia?

Kaname-kun

The Palmpedia site seems to have been revised, at least graphically, and connected to a business selling palms in Europe. Does anyone know what's going on with it? It looks like most of the information remains the same, though there are some glitches and certain references (e.g. "edited by Eric") have been removed. I hope it will remain the valuable open-source tool it always has been!

• Like 2

Some months ago (March? April?) I visited the site and it had a prominent "For Sale" sticker on it. That disappeared within a day or two, so my guess is it sold quickly. The "about" page mentions it is still a wiki format. The update to the look is pretty slick.

• Like 5

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I’m so very grateful to those who made the original Palmpedia website possible, including those who contributed data or plant photos. The information on this site helped me plan my landscaping intelligently, and saved many needless Palm deaths due to inappropriate choices.

if someone purchased the site and plans to maintain it (funded by a store element), I say more power to them! I’m surprised it’s not an official service of the IPS... but whatever will keep the info online is something I am happy to support.

Only bummer is that the incredibly helpful “Palms for California” section doesn’t appear to be included... at least not yet. That was the part that was most useful to me so I’m really hoping it gets added to the site as well. Looks like the original URL works for now at least...

http://www.palmpedia.net/palmsforcal/Category:Palm_Genera

Worst case, we can still access the data via the “Wayback Machine” website. Here’s the “Palms for California” Wayback Machine URL in case the above page goes dead at some point...

https://web.archive.org/web/20220000000000*/http://www.palmpedia.net/palmsforcal/Category:Palm_Genera

Here’s hoping the new website will continue to be a great resource for the palm collecting community 🌴 📖

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

I was waiting for the 1st of the year to remind everyone it was time to donate some money to keep the site afloat.  Guess no need now.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Me thinks RarePalmSeeds is now running this page.  Glad I held off my $ 100 donation planned for 2023.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I'm very disappointed that the cultural information, "Palms for California"  seems to be missing.   :(

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

• 3 weeks later...

Good News... Looks like the new owners of Palmpedia have added the "Palms for California" section - https://www.palmpedia.net/palmsforcal/Category:Palm_Genera

If the new Palmpedia owners are not based in the USA, there was no financial incentive I can see for this... so I'm extra grateful for the inclusion. 🙏

Hopefully they'll keep the Palmpedia site updated and possibly allow for wiki-style additions (to keep the data up to date). But either way, I'm glad to see that all this valuable palm data is still online and accessible.

• Like 5

I sold Palmpedia several months ago to someone who has the resources and passion to keep it going. It became too much for me alone to continue and provide the time and expense to do it justice.

The new owner is an IPS Member, and a long time lurker on PalmTalk. He is a terrific guy, capable businessman, and a palm/plant lover. I think it is a good fit, and the future of the site is in better hands now that he is involved. Give him time, and I expect many more improvements.

Thanks to all those who provided financial and emotional support during its creation and almost 20 year run so far. I too use the site often, and hope to for another 20 years. 

• Like 32
  • Upvote 4

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

31 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

I sold Palmpedia several months ago to someone who has the resources and passion to keep it going. It became too much for me alone to continue and provide the time and expense to do it justice.

The new owner is an IPS Member, and a long time lurker on PalmTalk. He is a terrific guy, capable businessman, and a palm/plant lover. I think it is a good fit, and the future of the site is in better hands now that he is involved. Give him time, and I expect many more improvements.

Thanks to all those who provided financial and emotional support during its creation and almost 20 year run so far. I too use the site often, and hope to for another 20 years. 

Thank you Dean for all the work you put into Palmpedia over the years!  It’s an amazing resource that has benefitted all of us greatly. I’m happy to hear that you were able to sell it and look forward to seeing how it continues to develop. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

On 1/20/2023 at 1:06 AM, Dypsisdean said:

Bravo for your dedication and effort, and best of luck to the new owner!

• Like 3

The font is very difficult to read and I agree with Darold that it’s disappointing to see the Palms for California is gone.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:31 PM, iDesign said:

Good News... Looks like the new owners of Palmpedia have added the "Palms for California" section - https://www.palmpedia.net/palmsforcal/Category:Palm_Genera

If the new Palmpedia owners are not based in the USA, there was no financial incentive I can see for this... so I'm extra grateful for the inclusion. 🙏

Hopefully they'll keep the Palmpedia site updated and possibly allow for wiki-style additions (to keep the data up to date). But either way, I'm glad to see that all this valuable palm data is still online and accessible.

Stacey thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

I thought that one person in particular from RPS was already involved in the Palmpedia. I hope more money can get invested into the site. It's one of the best resources about palms online and in general but there are still things that could be improved.

• Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 12/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, Darold Petty said:

I'm very disappointed that the cultural information, "Palms for California"  seems to be missing.   :(

No, it's there, just scroll down a bit on the main homepage.

But the information is incomplete. For example, Brahea edulis isn't even listed under Palms for California. Nor are Brahea clara or elegans.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NorCalWill said:

No, it's there, just scroll down a bit on the main homepage.

But the information is incomplete. For example, Brahea edulis isn't even listed under Palms for California. Nor are Brahea clara or elegans.

The "Palms for California" was a later edition - It's on the website now.

As for the data being incomplete, I did a quick comparison and all the information appears to have been transferred over from the original website. For example, here is the "Brahea" page from the pre-transition version of the site - https://web.archive.org/web/20200220071129/http://palmpedia.net/palmsforcal/Category:Brahea (no clara or elegans on the original website either). The switch was most likely a database transfer of some sort (not manual copy/paste).

In other words, whatever was on the original Palmpedia site is on the new version of the site. No new content (yet), but all the original content should still be there.

• Like 4

On 1/23/2023 at 8:22 PM, James B said:

The font is very difficult to read and I agree with Darold that it’s disappointing to see the Palms for California is gone.

Personally I like the new font, it looks clean and elegant. Yeah if there were a slightly bolder (or larger) version of the same font it might help with legibility but overall I like the new look. The old forum pages still appear to have the old font(s). When I click on Palms for California it does lead me to a page but I don’t know what used to be there, I usually use the site for its palm and croton photos.

• Like 3

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for some of the positive messages, i am thankful for all of them.  My name is Joao Santos Costa, i am from Portugal and i am the new responsible for the management and administration of Palmpedia and connected resources.  Palmpedia as been over the years a fundamental and unavoidable tool, an endless source of information to the palm growing hobby. I am forever thankful to Dean,  Ed Vaile, and all people who have contributed immensely to the creation of this incredible resource.

My path with palms started more than ten years ago, when i wanted to create a big garden around my former residence in Lisbon, and wanted to have some privacy from all the neighbours,  together with the perpetual feeling of evasion and "vacations feeling" every-time i would step home.  Likewise many of you the inicial humble idea of planting a few palms turned out to be an incurable addiction, that month after month started to influence where we would spend the weekends, to where we would go for vacations. From a nice garden the things escalated quickly and i ended up with a full size jungle with dozens of mature specimens, I got hooked.

I loved every bit of the new lifestyle, this garden could provide, so did my children and my wife. From late night barbecues, to tiki jacuzzi parties, to bird watching with my toddler, was a fantastic experience that forever change my mindset on the "art of living".

Professionally, i have responsibilities in a group of companies with ranging activities from managing real estate portfolios, to construction and hospitality businesses.  Few years ago, i started the acquisition of multiple agricultural investments and have turned my hobby into a full size business operation.

Currently we have 3 state of the art productions facilities, manufactured entirely in double glaze polycarbonate, biomass heating, evaporative cooling, and full climate control, where we are fully devoted to the germination of palm trees.  We are also establishing plantations in Sao Tome and Principe, and Mauritius for the more tropical varieties. As of today we hold several tens of thousands of 2-3 year old palm seedlings of around 237 varieties and growing. I am focused in creating top quality plants.  Our aim is to introduce recently discovered or unusual palms in the ornamental market, after all i guess we are all tired of finding the same options for sale in the conventional garden center!

I have quite ambitious plan for the new Palmpedia,  and i hope to have you all along for the journey, but i also understand that i will not be able to be a very consensual and accommodate everyone requests, but i will try!

In what concerns the future of Palmpedia, our plan is to keep the entire structure in the wiki platform like was originally intended and allow edition, inputs, and submission of pictures and content. We are currently working in the log in and users platform to allow people to sign in and edit the content of the pages, i believe in the next few days will be operational. 

Also i understand that there are several scientific revisions that need update, and we are currently compiling with the help of fellow forum members the list of updates needed to perform. So if you have a suggestion or topic requiring update  we are thankful to receive them by email to info@palmpedia.com.

Palmpedia will remain a free and open "go to place" for palm information, independently where you are in the globe. 

Regarding our plans on the comercial front. We are currently testing the new online marketplace, that will be made available on the website. This will be a multi vendor online shop, (much like amazon) and will allow verified nurseries, brands, individual growers, and hobbyists to sell their palms, and their seedlings. With a very simple and user friendly platform will allow every nursery to have equitable online exposition and a simplified online sales spot. If you know a nursery let them know that we are working in order they can soon list their palms and exotics stock in the world leading marketplace we are creating.

I strongly believe in this model because because is the only way to provide a truly global service without the limitations of phytosanitary regulations. In other words, depending on the place you are and will access the online shop, the assortment you see available to purchase is within your geographic range to be delivered without need of phytosanitary certificate.

I am always available at info@palmpedia.com

I hope to have all of you along,

Best Regards,

Joao

• Like 20
  • Upvote 4

thank you for this explaination, and for your personnal presentation !

i started with palms only 4 years ago, but i already spent so much time to look for any kind of species, and as web developer i had in mind that there should have a single platform where everyone could share their palms for sale or for swap. It would save us lot of time.  

so i can only support you in your way, it will be amazing ! 

I also had another thing in mind, maybe more tricky to create, but it would be nice to have a place where anyone could point out a palm specimen on a map, with the species name, its age, if it is alive or dead, the temperature of death, or if it is alive, the minimum temperature at which it survived, the annual average temperature, possibly a picture.

Then we could use a filter to show only specific species or a minimum temperature filter to see palm species that might survive in our garden. (maybee we could add map overlay with annual rainfall or other weather data)  

it's just a raw idea, you would have to think about it and it's a lot of work. 

• Like 3

Hi Joao - your journey into the palm world sounds similar to mine and many others here on PalmTalk and in the IPS. It can indeed become a life changing experience and a passion worth pursuing.

I can only imagine what the coming decades have in store for all of us. If it is anything like the transformation of the last 50 years from the tiny IPS to a vibrant worldwide community, it will be exciting to watch. The IPS continues to evolve and grow, and remains a place to focus on the enjoyment and preservation of palms and their habitat.

I am glad Palmpedia has found a good home, and wish you success as we all enjoy a mutual appreciation for the magical and rewarding life of palms and plants.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Dear Anthony,

Thank you very much for your kind message! Palmpedia will require all hands on deck to reach the peak of its possibilities! And you, as well any enthusiast is very welcome to contribute with support, content, pictures, articles, and ideas. So i am grateful for your enthusiasm which is very much shared by me.

I took a deep look in your idea, which i agree that could be fantastic specially to document the successful efforts of marginal planting and survivability guide, since if we could pin point geographically successful cases of palms planted outside their climate zone, this could be a very valuable resource for all of us to really know how far the limits could potentially be pushed.

Of course the existence of such guide, could not assure success plantations, because every garden, can have exterior elements that can contribute to the creation of a special microclimate, that could not be reproduced in the same surrounding location, however i still think would be very cool tool.

I was thinking a bit in how potentially that could be done, and i found a quite easy and straightforward solution. We could use the Google API that allows the pin point of comunal maps shared by users. It is particularly good for us because it allows free cooperative inserts, so all users can work within the same map, and will allow to edit the pin with information (in our case, palm cultivar, type of plantation, age, minimum temps etc) and potentially we can figure out a way to add picture also. 

Let me know if you want to help and contribute with your expertise in the peruse of creating this tool, to be made available trough Palmpedia! Thanks!

---------------

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your input, regarding font size, i agree and i have performed a font size increase. I didn't had notice, since i use very big screens and when i took a look in laptop i agree that they would be of extended convenience to have a bigger font size. Thanks for your contribute!

---------------

Dear Dean!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope i will honor the amazing work done by you, Ed and all the contributors over the years! 

Like i shared with you, the other day thought my usual reading i became deeply touched by the article of the state sale of Dr. Mardy Darian, http://www.marriedtoplants.com/hodgepodge/mardy-darian-garden-estate-plant-sale/.  I think any gardener and palm colector must introspectively relate to the irony of the destiny of our own mortality and ultimately disappearance of the product of our life work and passion. Like i told you i am currently working in a solution to recover the incredible Palmoramas (witch i think was a brilliant idea) that you have made from  Dr. Mardy Darian garden. The Flash technology was discontinued by Adobe, and we are looking into a solution of converting the files and make them readable again, so hopefully this garden can live forever.  Wether a fellow palm lover have passed, or a property with a beautiful garden have been sold i think would be an extremely cool option to remember this gardens.

I believe we should create a place to perpetually capture and remember a garden and its gardener.  This memorial tool would be also a great addition to Palmpedia! I also took opportunity and devoted some time to think in one option to make this easy, and at reach of every user, and currently i see to two possibilities that would be valid options and i challenge any member is interested and is reading this to try so we can make it happen. 

1) Try to use a new technology of 3d scanning made available for the newer and more modern phones. Its is free and it might provide a good result. And looks rather simple to use.  https://poly.cam/ Garden Example: https://poly.cam/capture/F6650311-ED91-406C-BBA9-B062E4C5BE42. This probably is the most complicated way of doing it, and with the lowest picture resolution to appreciate the gardens.

2)The best i think, and easier is the usage of Google Earth services.  Google Earth allows to contributors, to make street views or even interior views, of monuments and gardens and load it in google earth data base. Of course the mapping and 3d pictures that is required is not easy to do, and require special cameras, but here comes the very very cool part.  There is an enormous list of google contributors that have this cameras, and most likely you have one next to the place you live. Some of them do this captures for free for Google points and compensations, others charge very small amounts (60 USD)  for small businesses to make their front capture, and their shop capture. Of course might be people asking crazy fees, however there are literally thousands of contributors every where, so it is matter of negotiation.

I have used this system before for making a interior 3d view of a hotel i have developed, and allow costumers to navigate thought the common spaces and see the hotel, and venue is a virtual model, to help plan wedding cerimonies and others, 

https://maps.google.com/streetview/contributors/

https://www.google.com/streetview/how-it-works/

https://www.google.com/streetview/business/

See if a Professional is near you:

https://www.google.com/streetview/business/trusted/

Let me know if you think this might be a thing, and if the rest of the readers/members think its a cool resource to make available in Palmpedia.

Thank you very much to all the ideas and volunteers wich are sending emails, i am very thankful.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dear Anthony,

Please find bellow an example of what could be done:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=11TqXYTZ20ynEb37Pn10CtX5dz8toybI&ll=44.21644576709736%2C-3.0856420499999935&z=6

This could be inserted as a new category in the website. Let me know your feedback.

Thank you,

Joao 

• Like 2

Thanks Dean for your dedication and time invested in the evolution of Palmpedia. Being the ‘go to’ online palm reference for many of us is a testament of that dedication. I hope that this will allow you more, well deserved time off. 

Joao, your thoughtful and articulate response pertaining to the transition and future of Palmpedia is much appreciated and reassuring for those of us that use the resource on a daily basis. 

A BIG Mahalo!

Tim Brian

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

hi Joao, 

I'm very happy to see that you are interested by this idea :)

the google map exemple you made is the best way to do it i think yes, need to check if we can use custom filters, as i never work with this API. 

but i think we couldn't find better and more robust API for such use.

PS : i took a quick look to the map.

Through direct acces to the map from google map, it doesn't allow us to do what we need, but integrated to a website using javascript API it could work.

We just need to store data in our own database and request it from php sript depending of filter choosed by the user. 

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Anthony,

Sorry for my late reply I have been bustling with the conclusion of the mobile version and glitch correction of Palmpedia website. It is now finally available and already online for everyone convenience. I think this is a very important addition, since I usually use the website to consult for information while I am busy gardening, potting and planting palms, taking in consideration what is the best, or more recomended requirements for a certain palm. So now that we can do it from the comfort of our phones I think is great news! And a powerful gardening tool.

I additionally took the time, and did Palms for California a mobile version too, and integrated a search bar much like the main Palmpedia website as, for facility on a quick search, on the information there.

In regards to the test google map, I understand that the options we have are limited, but we could start with this and potentially improve if enough collaborators and data is obtained. To insert some points in the map the user must log in with their google (gmail) account on the top right corner of the map, in order to edit the map and add points, otherwise is a view only map.

I hope everyone appreciates the mobile versions,

Best

João,

• Like 2

I had heard about the sale, but had missed this topic which I just very much enjoyed reading!

Like everyone here I thank Dean and Ed for all the years of providing this wonderful resource!

I am very happy to virtually meet the new owner of the site and am excited to hear about all the ideas and energy.  Thank you João.

I look forward to many more years of enjoying Palmpedia with its great name and content.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Joao, thanks a bunch for keeping the site! Are the old forums archived anywhere? They had a lot of useful information in them but I’m sure took up a lot of storage.

• Like 2

Dear Cindy,

Thank you for your kind words, i hope everyone can enjoy as much as i am enjoying the process! 

Thank you!

-----------------

Dear Richard

The old forum is still online in the root: https://173.199.144.147/forum/

The reason why is not integrated in Palmpedia main website is related with the fact that i still dont know if would be of added value for the end user,  since it looks like everyone uses Palm Talk. In terms of space or resources consumed is very small, and it wouldn't be a problem to keep and maintain running, with our current system architecture the main question is only if there is users and content for it or not. Since if we would do it, we probably would migrate it to a more recent software and graphically review it, and it would be a considerable amount of investment and effort.

Sorry it dosent have any SSL certificate, and is not currently linked to any domain, because i really dont know what we should do about it.

If you think some info contained there would be relevant to integrate in some way in Palmpedia let me know, so we can try to integrate it or if you believe the Forum is of significant importance to keep running.. Everyones opinion is greatly apreciated on this. Thanks!

Best

João

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Another information for everyone that uses "Palms for California"

After much consideration, and to make it the more valuable for all the Non-California users😃. We will have the "Palms for California" under the Link "Growing Guide".  An introduction text will be added on the this page,  referring that this Guide was made for California climate, but it is a valuable resource to similar climas like the most southern Mediterranean regions.  I write this message to prevent users to think it disappeared, it will be exactly were it is now, but the under the separator Growing Guide.

Thanks

Joao

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dear Richard,

Via mobile i dont think you can add points to the Google my Maps, i have tried and also havent managed.

Best,

Joao

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 1:06 AM, Dypsisdean said:

Just my opinion, unless you're suffering from a debilitation or dying, it would have been better to keep your website as your own. But hopefully the new owners will respect the quality and standards that you insisted upon in the site construction.

2 hours ago, Robert D. Young said:

Just my opinion, unless you're suffering from a debilitation or dying, it would have been better to keep your website as your own. But hopefully the new owners will respect the quality and standards that you insisted upon in the site construction.

Easy for you to say - you weren't the one losing money every month.

No debilitation (other than too many birthdays), and hopefully not compost anytime soon.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Hi Robert

Thank you for your extremely valuable opinion! I will take your advise in consideration for myself in future,

Best,

Joao

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2023 at 5:42 PM, Joao Santos Costa said:

Hi Robert

Thank you for your extremely valuable opinion! I will take your advise in consideration for myself in future,

Best,

Joao

Joao, I have experience with this. I think a lot people start projects, only to have others take over years later, and then the project goes in a direction that is not ideal. Perhaps it was a bit bold of an alleged 'newbie' to say something, but I am actually a noted scientist and a leading expert in my field. My field is not botany. However, the principles of science are the same and cross-field understanding of how things work and long-term interests mean that I have a certain accumulated knowledge in botany, as well as meteorology, etc that overlap well...knowing weather also helps with growing plants outdoors...🌦️🌱🌿