IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Killer Colour Pinanga thanks Bill Austin.🙏👌💖

65Pedro

Bill Austin sent me seeds of 1 of his many Pinanga's  around 7 yrs ago and Bill's had a lot of dark orange in the C/shaft.

Here, it's getting redder ea year. I have given it a high K slow release fert to induce flowering, which also add's color to most plants.

Thanks Bill, trust your very healthy and happy mate.

Pete 

image0 (2).jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 2

Here's a pic I took during a tour at Floribunda. The palm was referred to as Pinanga sp. "maroon crownshaft". Doesn't show very much maroon in this pic - Pete's pic is better:

380982056_14-Pinangasp.marooncrownshaft.thumb.JPG.37faf5a7832bc3898e485e47249dcadc.JPG

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thanks to all for their input. 👌👍Sorry for the slow reply, but being a minimalist, I have NO Mobile and limit my time on my laptop.

I DO have a Pinanga sp "Maroon C/shaft' but here in Oz it's called "Purple C/shaft" and HERE is very slow growing. 

My Pinanga "Purple C/shaft IS on Palmpedia and a very large specimen is in Cairns Botanic Gardens and its stems are very thin. 

I'd love Bill Austin to chime in as his had chunky stems and was very orange in colour.

I also sold 1 to Paul (Comic 97). Did you take yours to Cairns Paul?

Here's a Pic from Equatorial Exotics site of Pinanga "Purple C/shaft".  Since having 2 I very much think what Bill sold me is a "Hybrid" as its very fast growing and I have a very good eye. 😊

Wishing ALL a very Happy/ Healthy/ Peaceful/ Fun/ 2023. 

pinanga_purple_crwnshaft_1.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@65Pedro did you mean High-Phosphorus fertilizer above? I always thought P was the macro that encouraged blooming, but I want to try it for color as well. Just want to be sure which one you were talking about.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

13 hours ago, cobra2326 said:

@65Pedro did you mean High-Phosphorus fertilizer above? I always thought P was the macro that encouraged blooming, but I want to try it for color as well. Just want to be sure which one you were talking about.

Are you serious Jon?? 😂Potassium =K is 100% for getting more seed, more color, bigger buds 😂 Phosphorous IS for Root growth.

HOPE your AWAKE and Healthy mate. 🙏👌

• Like 1

Pete, 

That’s a great looking plant and so is the parent plant that I have seen many times at Bill’s place. It was one of the first to really catch my eye on my first visit there, about 5 years ago when I moved to the Big Island. 

As others here have said, it’s what we are referring to as Sp. Maroon, at least here in Hawaii. Floribunda has the same palm and has offered them in the past on their price list. 

Here’s a potted one of mine waiting to be planted when I have the right place for it:

1A3F5328-E73F-49F5-88BC-E744D7744F86.thumb.jpeg.ee8e9069d34d437e54ee77c522c429b8.jpeg

Ps. Nice to see you posting here again. Looking forward to seeing more of your garden. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

As many times that I’ve been to Bill’s, I never remember seeing that Pinanga. Nice color and habit too.

I agree with Jason, nice seeing you posting again Pete.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Pete, 

That’s a great looking plant and so is the parent plant that I have seen many times at Bill’s place. It was one of the first to really catch my eye on my first visit there, about 5 years ago when I moved to the Big Island. 

As others here have said, it’s what we are referring to as Sp. Maroon, at least here in Hawaii. Floribunda has the same palm and has offered them in the past on their price list. 

Here’s a potted one of mine waiting to be planted when I have the right place for it:

1A3F5328-E73F-49F5-88BC-E744D7744F86.thumb.jpeg.ee8e9069d34d437e54ee77c522c429b8.jpeg

Ps. Nice to see you posting here again. Looking forward to seeing more of your garden. 

11 minutes ago, realarch said:

As many times that I’ve been to Bill’s, I never remember seeing that Pinanga. Nice color and habit too.

I agree with Jason, nice seeing you posting again Pete.

Tim

Thanks Justin and Tim.  Justin your Palm is the "Proof in the pudding" that it's Maroon C/shaft. Why is it not on Palmpedia ??? Purple C/shaft is a different beast as its Petioles are Purple / Black as this pic of mine off Palmpedia shows..

I WON'T be posting much guys as I do NOT want to become addicted and the as I WAS before. The only recent pics on here have been taken by Tiger who has an Iphone like MOST but I

REFUSE to ever own one. Thanks again and all the BEST Pete ps Turning my laptpof OF to be out in the Gardens /Nature/Swimming/Walking up my creek etc

DpIMGP3608.jpg

• Like 2

Pete,

Your knowledge and garden is has been super inspiring. I definitely respect the desire to not be “tech addicted”, so share once or twice a week and we’ll all be happy 😃 And thanks for the confirmation on the fertilizer, I’m going to give it a go. 

Jason, that photo is money! I’ve got a couple of these and I’m excited to see what they’re turning out to be. I remember seeing a pic of that palm in bills garden years ago but not being able to determine what it was. 

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

11 hours ago, cobra2326 said:

Pete,

Your knowledge and garden is has been super inspiring. I definitely respect the desire to not be “tech addicted”, so share once or twice a week and we’ll all be happy 😃 And thanks for the confirmation on the fertilizer, I’m going to give it a go. 

Jason, that photo is money! I’ve got a couple of these and I’m excited to see what they’re turning out to be. I remember seeing a pic of that palm in bills garden years ago but not being able to determine what it was. 

Hi Jon, 

thanks mate, I was always happy to share info and love to try n "Myth Bust" not just Palms bur many plants! Hope all yr Pinanga's are doing well mate and Maroon is a V fast grower! 👌✔️

The gardens have grown a LOT since I was on PT 8 yrs ago or whatever. I don't use FB anymore as it's a 'time waster "and have NO reason to look at other people lives.

It's been 11 yrs this May since my fall and Brain Plasticity is a great thing when you don't drink alcohol, eat well, stay fit, and learn and DO something new ea day.

Sorry I commented the way I did re Fert. 🙏👍

Jason's pics was the 1 I NEEDED to see, thanks Jason.  My Purple C/shaft is NOT clumping yet and certainly is NOT Maroon Crown shaft as the VERY purple black petiole show which Maroon doesn't have. The fronds differ greatly as do the leaflets. 

When Tiger returns soon, or Shakira, Demi or Carlos visit I'll get them to take some snaps.

Kind regards Pete 

No worries Pete! I don't get offended easily at all, and I appreciated you taking the time to respond and confirm for me. 

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

10 hours ago, 65Pedro said:

Hi Jon, 

thanks mate, I was always happy to share info and love to try n "Myth Bust" not just Palms bur many plants! Hope all yr Pinanga's are doing well mate and Maroon is a V fast grower! 👌✔️

The gardens have grown a LOT since I was on PT 8 yrs ago or whatever. I don't use FB anymore as it's a 'time waster "and have NO reason to look at other people lives.

It's been 11 yrs this May since my fall and Brain Plasticity is a great thing when you don't drink alcohol, eat well, stay fit, and learn and DO something new ea day.

Sorry I commented the way I did re Fert. 🙏👍

Jason's pics was the 1 I NEEDED to see, thanks Jason.  My Purple C/shaft is NOT clumping yet and certainly is NOT Maroon Crown shaft as the VERY purple black petiole show which Maroon doesn't have. The fronds differ greatly as do the leaflets. 

When Tiger returns soon, or Shakira, Demi or Carlos visit I'll get them to take some snaps.

Kind regards Pete 

Hey Pete, I'm happy to help out, glad my picture was the 1 you needed.  

That purple crownshaft Pinanga you have is pretty incredible looking with those dark petioles!  So many great Pinangas out there! 

On 12/24/2022 at 3:03 AM, 65Pedro said:

Bill Austin sent me seeds of 1 of his many Pinanga's  around 7 yrs ago and Bill's had a lot of dark orange in the C/shaft.

Here, it's getting redder ea year. I have given it a high K slow release fert to induce flowering, which also add's color to most plants.

Thanks Bill, trust your very healthy and happy mate.

Pete 

image0 (2).jpeg

Wow!!!!

👍🏻

Pat