IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen Palm Protection Issues

JLM

I am having issues protecting my Queen in the backyard. Its a lot bigger than it seems. Unfortunately, im thinking that i may need to hurricane cut the palm in order to make this work. Hurricane cutting as it cutting most of the fronds off. I really DO NOT want to do that, but if it means that it has a greater chance of surviving, ill do it. We are having troubles getting these fronds tied because theres so many fronds and we dont want to lean the ladder up against the palm. What do yall think? Is there any other way? Should i just let it go and hope it survives? Ill post pictures if its needed.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

@JLM

Something you can try: 

Try to tie the fronds two or three at a time to each other  You typically want to tie a few lower hanging fronds to a higher frond in order to help raise their level a bit.  After you get them in bunches, tie the opposing bunches together.  They should force each other toward the growing point.  You'll probably want some strong rope or nylon twine to do this.  Then go for the wrap with a blanket around what you have.

Another option is to only protect the growing point like @Walt did with his coconut palms.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Looks like you're hitting 19F.  try to protect the spear and growing point.  I just posted something on a queen to help this poster.  Try tieing at least 3 fronds.  if you have a heat source wrap it around the trunk and spear area and wrap frost cloth around everything and leave the other fronds sticking out if that makes sense. 

Like this idea

wrap 2022 3.jpg

Dec 2022-7.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

The issue is that the spear is so high up. Not sure if ill be able to reach with the ladder. I tied up the bunches then tied the bunches as close as possible. This should help with blocking out some of the cold. If this wont work, ill untie the fronds and just wrap the trunk and growth point. The palm will most certainly see some degree of cold damage regardless.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, JLM said:

The issue is that the spear is so high up. Not sure if ill be able to reach with the ladder. I tied up the bunches then tied the bunches as close as possible. This should help with blocking out some of the cold. If this wont work, ill untie the fronds and just wrap the trunk and growth point. The palm will most certainly see some degree of cold damage regardless.

I’ll post some pics of mine tomorrow, but i burlaped all my queens from the fronds all the way down to the trunk. Then I put frost cloth over that then put trash bags over that as well. My tallest queen is probably 9 ft tall but I have a 8ft A frame ladder so that helped. We’re to expecting a low of 19 here in Charleston. 

1 hour ago, South Carolina palms said:

I’ll post some pics of mine tomorrow, but i burlaped all my queens from the fronds all the way down to the trunk. Then I put frost cloth over that then put trash bags over that as well. My tallest queen is probably 9 ft tall but I have a 8ft A frame ladder so that helped. We’re to expecting a low of 19 here in Charleston. 

The Queen im trying to protect is at or over 20 ft tall, it is a pain to protect. Maybe in the future it will be big enough that it can fend for itself during a cold snap. It appears ill only be protecting the growth point and trunk which are the most important parts for long term survival. I remember when this palm was small enough that i could fit a trash bag over it, which wasnt that long ago (maybe 2 years?)

• Like 2

Finished wrapping this beast. I decided to go without wrapped fronds, the fronds can be lost and the palm will be fine. 

Unfortunately, i wasnt able to wrap the entirety of the growth point. I got somewhere between the first set of fronds and the spear which seems good enough to me. If it spear pulls, the pull point will be less than a foot from emerging, so all should be fine.

Onto the other stuff. Next pain in the ass will be the front yard Queen, but luckily it has a lot less fronds because of rachis blight. This is the ONLY time that i am thanking a disease for doing what its doing LOL

• Like 2