IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm freeze protection

KsLouisiana

23 minutes ago, RJ said:

This is similar to what I purchased, used in a brood light that’s used for chicken hatchlings or reptiles. I’d place it a few feet of the palm perhaps? 

You just have to use common sense.  I have a 90W bulb about a foot away from the Louisiana in this 3'x6' material enclosure on a 20/30 thermocube though.  It seems to stay on

enclosure.jpg

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 minutes ago, GregDFW said:

I've had C9's burn some holes in the cloth in Feb 2021 when they stayed on for about 5 days straight.  The last few years I've used a layer of frost cloth, C9's all followed by a thin tarp.  Never fully sealed up though.  Any lights in the crown area aren't covered.   Everything is hooked to a thermocube but I don't have a thermometer or sensors to get a reading of what temperature everything is getting too.

This is the first event for me to have anything on mini lights so if those are sucessful I may have to make that transition.  They are definitely easier to deal with than the large bulbs which regularly shatter and tangle up easy too.

Look at my Youtube to see how I use mini bulbs.  Wrapped direct to palm with frost cloth wrapped direct over is ok.  I have them still on a 35/45 thermocube. I'm watching 4 thermometers on them now and they are sitting at 39, 45, 43, 41F with 12F outside

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

12 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Happy Holidays! Sending warm thoughts to all Palm Talkers and their plants now enduring this bomb cyclone/winter freeze. Good luck to you all. Warmer weather will surely follow... eventually.

It's so cold this coconut palm has blue nuts!🤪

HappyHolidays.jpg

😂😂😂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fusca said:

This is what C9's did to my Copernicia alba in 2018 (after trunk cutting):

Here it is 2 years later:

Do you mean they kept it alive or burned it?  I'm not following.  

7 hours ago, GregDFW said:

I've had C9's burn some holes in the cloth in Feb 2021 when they stayed on for about 5 days straight.  The last few years I've used a layer of frost cloth, C9's all followed by a thin tarp.  Never fully sealed up though.  Any lights in the crown area aren't covered.   Everything is hooked to a thermocube but I don't have a thermometer or sensors to get a reading of what temperature everything is getting too.

This is the first event for me to have anything on mini lights so if those are sucessful I may have to make that transition.  They are definitely easier to deal with than the large bulbs which regularly shatter and tangle up easy too.

Yes were a pain to put on kept getting tangled

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Yes minis are much safer and in 6F my palms are sitting on 40F+.  Many times I've warned people about C9.  They can be put in an open air type enclosure not wrapped to a palm and then wrapped over.  They can fry the whole palm if wrapped over in the spear area without a thermocube 

hopefully I didn’t damage too bad

i should know better I’ve read enough threads here 

I feel like a bonehead

only got to 25 probably didn’t even need them

18 minutes ago, Tropicdoc said:
9 hours ago, Allen said:

Yes minis are much safer and in 6F my palms are sitting on 40F+.  Many times I've warned people about C9.  They can be put in an open air type enclosure not wrapped to a palm and then wrapped over.  They can fry the whole palm if wrapped over in the spear area without a thermocube 

hopefully I didn’t damage too bad

i should know better I’ve read enough threads here 

I feel like a bonehead

only got to 25 probably didn’t even need them

Expand  

Don't beat yourself up because it IS confusing because so many people use them in different ways that can be safe and ok.

I added a thermometer last night...with low of 25, I tested a 5+ ft trunked pindo and it showed it heating into 80s befor turning off and turning back on in the high 30s.  Moved it to a TX Sabal this morning and its stayed mid 60s the whole time while the temp is 28 right now.  Will throw it in with the small pindo or queen wrapped with the minis to see how hot it is there now.  

On the brght side the weather is going to be good enough to unwrap all but the queens.  Even they'll be fine with no heat at this point.

On 12/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, Allen said:

Do you mean they kept it alive or burned it?  I'm not following.  

The C9's might have kept it alive but also burned the fronds to a black mush.  ☹️ Initially I thought it was dead but later noticed that the base was still green.  I cut off the dead stuff almost down to the ground as you can see in the first photo which was taken about a week after cutting.  It had pushed about 1 cm of growth during that week.  It was just going palmate and had only been in the ground for 4 months prior to the freeze.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

The C9's might have kept it alive but also burned the fronds to a black mush.  ☹️ Initially I thought it was dead but later noticed that the base was still green.  I cut off the dead stuff almost down to the ground as you can see in the first photo which was taken about a week after cutting.  It had pushed about 1 cm of growth during that week.  It was just going palmate and had only been in the ground for 4 months prior to the freeze.

I need to do a video of why and how to use C9's safely as I know so many examples of burnt palms.  Thankfully it did well

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Allen said:

I need to do a video of why and how to use C9's safely as I know so many examples of burnt palms.  Thankfully it did well

That would be great.  I had no idea how hot they would get when I used them and I wrapped them right up against the palm which is a bad idea!  I haven't used them since.

Jon Sunder

Freeze is over. Its in the 70s. Everything survived I think. Some things took some tamale and won't look good for a while. Washingtonia robusta is damaged, phoenix roebelenii looks good even though we cut all the upper leaves off, bismarck is looking good! One of our tiny queen palms had no protection and looks pretty good.

20221228_130635.jpg

20221228_130601.jpg

20221228_130552.jpg

20221228_130535.jpg

20221228_112748.jpg

• Like 2