IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN Ɨ
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community. Ā By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no ā€œcatches,ā€ and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society.Ā - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide.Ā Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Disney World

OC2Texaspalmlvr

So my wife and I are finally taking my daughter (age 7) to Disney World. Which means I'm finally gonna make it to Florida šŸ˜ƒ Unfortunately we don't have anytime to do any PRA while we're there. Basically what I'm hoping for is, insights for some hidden palm gems in the Park. A little heads up into stuff we shouldn't miss would be awesome too. Thanks in advanceĀ 

T JĀ 

T JĀ 

Iā€™ve heard Pandora-World of Avatar is a great place for palms, even though I havenā€™t been there myself, even as a local. If you have an extra afternoon or evening, check out Harry P. Leu Gardens for an excellent palm observing experience not too far outside of Disney area. Have funĀ 

• Like 3

Agree if you can make even a few hours, Leu Gardens is well worth a visit.Ā  Haven't been to Disney in years so unfortunately can't give you suggestions for viewing in the parks.Ā  Surely some other Floridians will be able to give you suggestions.

Lou St. Aug, FL

I love visiting Disney just for the palms. There are bottle palms in magic, satakentia in magic as well as a few new ones in Epcot. Animal kingdom has so many beautiful palms, lots of foxtails, fishtails and many more. The foxtails in Epcot are stunning especially at night. And Iv really grown attached to the Washingtonias that line the streets. Dang-it now I want to renew my passesā€¦..Ā 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So my wife and I are finally taking my daughter (age 7) to Disney World. Which means I'm finally gonna make it to Florida šŸ˜ƒ Unfortunately we don't have anytime to do any PRA while we're there. Basically what I'm hoping for is, insights for some hidden palm gems in the Park. A little heads up into stuff we shouldn't miss would be awesome too. Thanks in advanceĀ 

T JĀ 

If you can talk the family into having dinner at Charley's Steak house on International Drive, you'll get to see the nicest coconut palm in inland Central Florida.

• Like 6

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9aĀ  2012: 9bĀ  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

21 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

If you can talk the family into having dinner at Charley's Steak house on International Drive, you'll get to see the nicest coconut palm in inland Central Florida.

Had to look it up on Google maps just encase we can't make it haha Hoping this polar vortex doesn't kill my scenery =/Ā 

Thanks @DAVEinMBĀ for the visual definitely gonna try and check out animal kingdom šŸ˜ƒ

@Fishinsteeg234Ā  @Lou-StAugFLĀ Gonna have to save Leu Gardens for my next Florida tripĀ 

T JĀ 

• Like 3

T JĀ 

Ā There are lots of palms there. My advice is not palms but days to visit. The week before Christmas and Christmas day are great as there are light crowds. The day after Christmas it is shoulder to shoulder. Everyone within a few hours drive of there gives Disney tickets and people show up in droves. Try to plan accordingly. Also if you plan to go back, and before you leave the park, go to one of the guest services booths and price what adding more days, to your ticket, for later costs (those days are good forever) . It is usually dirt cheap compared to buying tickets at the park on your 1st day.

• Like 2

Ā 

A few highlights;

Animal Kingdom- LOTS of nice palms throughout the park. Big Royal and Licuala spinosa just past the entrance on the right side. Pandora has lots, especially Caryota obtusa. Also Kerriodoxa, some nice Pandanus utilis, Pachypodiums and a big Pandanus furcatus that used to be in my yard.

EPCOT- Lots of Bismarcki.Ā  Satakentia over by the Guardians of the Galaxy, nice Howea in the Mexican pyramid jungle, nice Wodyetia and Adonidia by Spaceship Earth, a huge Ficus benjamina 'Nuda' just past China at the Coca Cola outpost, big Ficus aurea near the land in the fenced off construction area, tall Phoenix rupicola and roebelenii at Morocco, a nice Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii by Imagination, great gardens at China and Japan.

Magic Kingdom- Satakentia by Pirates, nice Wodyetia at Crystal Palace, big Licuala spinosa on the Jungle Cruise, in Adventureland there is tall Archontophoenix,a big Hyophorbe lagenicaulis and a old, tall Phoenix sylvestris, original palm since it opened in 1971

Disney Studios- lots of common palms in the park, some Howea by Indiana Jones, out front recent plantings of Copernicia alba, Livistona nitida and Pandanus utilis.

The Polynesian Hotel has lots of neat plants too. Including a big Ficus macrophylla thats been there since opening day and nice flowering Stenocarpus sinuatus.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Disney is great for palm lovers. Universal also has loads of great palms, my favorite is the Jurassic Park area.Ā 

Also, lots of various cycads and other prehistoric plants in the Dinoland area at AK. And lots of Ficus and tropical trees all through AK.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

@Eric in OrlandoĀ I'm really bummed i hadnt seen your post till I left cause i missed out on a lot of cool palms =/ I will say this I have never seen so many Beautiful Bizzies in one city before.Ā  I found the old Hyophorbe and a couple old Mules at magic kingdom. They didn't look good with a slight lean to them =/ The Polynesian hotel had such amazing landscaping and I barely got around it. Foxtails as big Royal palms. What I thought was odd but maybe it makes sense was how many Xmas palms planted but no Coconuts. Only explanation would be the liability and maintenance for Disney. We never made it to Animal kingdom which was a bummer. All in all I got a decent palm fix during my daughter's vacation. Can't see myself ever going back tho.

T JĀ 

20221229_171927.jpg

20221229_165224.jpg

20221229_115113.jpg

20221228_121340.jpg

20221228_121056.jpg

20221228_105005.jpg

• Like 2

T JĀ 

11 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Eric in OrlandoĀ I'm really bummed i hadnt seen your post till I left cause i missed out on a lot of cool palms =/ I will say this I have never seen so many Beautiful Bizzies in one city before.Ā  I found the old Hyophorbe and a couple old Mules at magic kingdom. They didn't look good with a slight lean to them =/ The Polynesian hotel had such amazing landscaping and I barely got around it. Foxtails as big Royal palms. What I thought was odd but maybe it makes sense was how many Xmas palms planted but no Coconuts. Only explanation would be the liability and maintenance for Disney. We never made it to Animal kingdom which was a bummer. All in all I got a decent palm fix during my daughter's vacation. Can't see myself ever going back tho.

T JĀ 

20221229_171927.jpg

20221229_165224.jpg

20221229_115113.jpg

20221228_121340.jpg

20221228_121056.jpg

20221228_105005.jpg

Epcot had some nice coconut palms a few years ago but plucked them (healthy) to plant mule palms.Ā  I believe there is one hidden in Morocco, against a building. Well protected but no room to grow.Ā  Next time, plan a trip to Discovery Cove at Sea World. Best park in Orlando for relaxing IMHO.Ā  Well worth the money. They have tremendous tropical plants (which I understand are given heat on the freezing nights).

Screenshot_20230103_105639_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

Years back there was a nice Triangle palm visible from the old train that circles MK. I haven't been in years due to increases in prices and decreases in customer service.

Disney Corp. Needs a CEO who has spent money bringing his family to the parks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Epcot had some nice coconut palms a few years ago but plucked them (healthy) to plant mule palms.Ā  I believe there is one hidden in Morocco, against a building. Well protected but no room to grow.Ā  Next time, plan a trip to Discovery Cove at Sea World. Best park in Orlando for relaxing IMHO.Ā  Well worth the money. They have tremendous tropical plants (which I understand are given heat on the freezing nights).

Ā 

I remember those, they were plant just for the Flower and Garden Festival. There was a big grouping at the entrance then also some by TestTrack. Once the festival was over they replaced them with the permanent Mules. Over at Morocco that is a Majesty planted up against the wall. There is also a nice Phoenix rupicola at Morocco.

At the front by Living Seas and The Land there is that area under construction, going to be a walk through waterfall garden based on Moana. They have started planting a few things at the one end and there are some big Beccariophoenix alfredii being planted. Perfect for a lush Polynesian look.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 1/4/2023 at 8:43 AM, Eric in Orlando said:

I remember those, they were plant just for the Flower and Garden Festival. There was a big grouping at the entrance then also some by TestTrack. Once the festival was over they replaced them with the permanent Mules. Over at Morocco that is a Majesty planted up against the wall. There is also a nice Phoenix rupicola at Morocco.

At the front by Living Seas and The Land there is that area under construction, going to be a walk through waterfall garden based on Moana. They have started planting a few things at the one end and there are some big Beccariophoenix alfredii being planted. Perfect for a lush Polynesian look.

Thanks for confirming about the majesty. I actually like those Mule Palms...they definitely have a unique look.Ā  Can't wait to see the alfreddii. Any suggestions for how to stake them. Mine lean bad after the hurricanes. I hear others having the same problem. Not sure if the ones at Leu have or had the same issue.Ā