IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with a Transplanted Potted Sabal Palm :)

Another_Conquistador

I already have a Majesty and Cat Palm that have been doing great so I’m familiar with the beginner species inside. I’m from South Florida and moved to West Georgia and I’m very common with Sabal Palms, their care, flowering, fruit, et cetera. But I’m not familiar with potting and am told it’s very difficult.

I got back from a trip to Savannah & Tybee Island, and I wanted to come back with a Sabal Palm. I was walking in Bonaventure Cemetery, and some workers cleaning around a Mausoleum pulled one up roots and all so I took it.

I’m enclosing a photograph of it in my car lol

It’s older obviously as it has a trunk, it seemed a little dry so I have it in a trash bag with a little water to create humidity and hopefully rehydrate it.

I’m getting a pot and soil, probably submerge the trunk with warm water for a little bit to remove pests and to further hydrate it. Then I plan to remove older boots if possible and clean it up.

Is there anything you would do differently? And is there anything I should know about keeping this gorgeous species inside?

39846FBB-7EA9-4D65-AE96-7DB1A979B902.jpeg

Edited by Another_Conquistador
Title correction

I won’t tell you not to waste your time and money - miracles have been known to happen. But be aware that Sabals with less a than 4-6’ of clear trunk are virtually impossible to transplant after they have been ripped from the ground. That is because the meristem/growing point of the palm is still underground. Any attempt to dig/rip/pull up the palm will fatally damage the growing point and kill the palm.k

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks @palmatiermeg, it honestly looked like the full palm, the bottom was intact and in the picture you can see where the roots come down from where the meristem started. It doesn’t look broken off or anything. But at the same time the trunk is really weird looking I don’t know if it was two palms or if there was a weird growth pattern? Very odd. It’s still in the bag with water, tomorrow I’m going to hopefully get to it I’ll post what I find under the boots I can remove

I just poked around it, it’s very odd… the trunk just out one way and the boots are condensed on that one side… I don’t know what happened. But the boots came off really easily and it looked healthy and green underneath, same on the other side. You can see where the leaf sheath goes down and then curve around the growth point. I’m hoping so hard that this thing will make it

I wouldn't give up, either. After all, it ain't dead until it's dead. Nevertheless, you're trying to stimulate growth during the worst time of the year. My bet is that it will start browning up, then expire quickly, but you never know.

Poor thing has already started browning on outer leaves.
How do you tell if it’s dead? Lmao

The colors look a little faded :( the heart of it is a bright green and close to the middle it’s vibrant

image.jpg

I’ll prune them this afternoon, I thought maybe inside would help as it’s 35° F outside. Should I put a heating pad beneath it?