IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Polar Vortex 2022...... who's ready?

Sabal King

13 hours ago, teddytn said:

95%Sabal family, 3 needle palms, 5 windmill palms just planted this year. Big Birminghams are on their own, same as Sabal minors and Louisianas. Covered everything else including small agaves, yuccas, cactus and small palms with buckets and bins. Bigger palms got frost cloth and then plastic, or a blanket and a trash bag. No heat on anything. We’ll see how it turns out, may have some new spots to plant stuff in the spring 

Save me some plants!  I think I might lose some.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I’m sure I’ll lose some palms as well, our lowest low will be 14 as per the weather channel app. We’ll see though. I’m hoping for a miracle that it ends up being warmer.

I hope my robusta will make it, my Sylvester’s might be toast, I’ll probably protect my Sabal Lisa and uresana since they are small. Everything will have to ride it out. I want to protect more palms but at the same time I don’t want to go out to busy stores and buy several different things for protection. I bought 1 frost cloth and that is all I have.
I want to have worry free palms during the winter.  
I have so many palmetto seedlings popping up everywhere, I hope they are ok in this cold. I have spread more seeds around this year and hopefully I’ll have a palmetto patch going on in the future. I’ll have to stick to Sabals and pindos. 

I’d really hate for my palms to get big and then die at another time in the future(robustas) and have to have someone remove the tall trees. 

• Like 1

Looks to be a rough next 3 days here in Western North Carolina. Then the temperatures will slowly get back to more seasonal norms.

12-22-2022

516F1DC8-41EB-41EF-896F-3DF1869CDCD2.jpeg

Emerald Isle, NC

USDA Zone 8B - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

1 minute ago, BigBilly said:

Will sago's in large ports survive 8 F , with a wind chill ??

I'd bring them inside, or at least somewhere sheltered, if at all possible. Sago's have struggled in Eastern NC when it drops into the low teens.

12-22-2022

• Like 1

Emerald Isle, NC

1 minute ago, MrTropical said:

I'd bring them inside, or at least somewhere sheltered, if at all possible. Sago's have struggled in Eastern NC when it drops into the low teens.

12-22-2022

The ones in where I am seem to do fine in those temps . They've been outside for 4 years without minimal protections. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BigBilly said:

The ones in where I am seem to do fine in those temps . They've been outside for 4 years without minimal protections. 

Alright. Yeah, I was basing that off of what I've read from the NC State Ag Extension. They talk about how Sago's in Craven County have to be covered up in times like these.

Just to play it safe though, especially considering the wind-chill, I'd protect them this time around. This is going to be the coldest air the state has seen in years.

12-22-2022

• Like 2

Emerald Isle, NC

1 hour ago, MrTropical said:

12-22-2022

Agreed, especially in the pots. That soil will freeze much quicker and get much colder than if it were in the ground = no bueno for the roots.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Allen said:

I'm showing 7-10F for you.  Did you wrap the Trachy?  16-18F is not too hard on most Sabals even with ice but 7F might hurt the non-minor hybrid types

Nope didn't wrap either trachy.. Neither were wrapped during 2021 and thrived since then, so nope.  They are on their own.  I didn't wrap any minors, but wrapped just a few Louisianas, Birminghams are on their own, Brazis half were wrapped, and wrapped my Mexicana(s), Riversides, Brahea Armata, Palmettos, Bermudana, but I still didn't wrap quite a bit.  nly my BxJ hybrid got christmas light (C9) and a nice big frost blanket over it..  Nothing else got supplemental heat.

Whatever does NOT make it, will get replaced with one of the backup squad that is in the garage.. IMG_20221221_141153.thumb.JPG.d06567dbe1ee2f075a0992f11d4e315f.JPG

IMG_20221221_141151.thumb.JPG.9a452ce884679c68ef28f19ffb85087e.JPG

I still think, given the plant delights kill log of their palms, all UNPROTECTED and the temps they have seen, we'll be fine... we will start to warm back up in just a day or two and get into nearly 70 by NYE.  Will they be banged up?  Surely, but this is why I am 95% sabals..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

A chilly wind this way bloweth my friends.  Stress test operations are a go.  Just remember....there is no crying in game of zone pushing.  Be well, good luck, and I will see you all on the other side...

Brought some friends inside to ride out the weather with me in the home office (Back row left to right: Chamaedorea radicalis, Phoenix dactylifera, Livistona decora, Phoenix canariensis, and Livistona decora; front row left to right: Rhapis excelsa, Acoelorraphe wrightiiPhoenix reclinata, and Thrinax radiata; way in the back: Chamaedorea elegans).

20221222_140105.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

36 minutes ago, Figo said:

Should i take my Celeste Figs inside? ( Austin Area)

They should be okay inside your garage, but if it gets around freezing, they will become dormant till the weather warms. Don't leave anything potted outside.

39 minutes ago, Figo said:

Should i take my Celeste Figs inside? ( Austin Area)

D9B578DD-79A4-45AB-9009-E85EE34CD519.jpeg

After looking at the wind-chill expected for the Austin TX area, I'd recommend keeping them in the garage, especially since they are in pots. Celeste Figs are hardy down to 0F but that is with the expectation of them being in-ground. Soil tends to freeze faster in pots than in-ground, and with the wind-chill possibly bringing temperatures down as low as -7F, you're taking a considerable chance if left outdoors.

Hope this helps.

12-22-2022

Edited by MrTropical
  • Like 1

Emerald Isle, NC

4 hours ago, BigBilly said:

Big risk!

Here is how to protect: 

1. Bring all leaves/fronds to the top and tie with a string.

2. Put a large brown lawn paper bag over the plant. Tie at the bottom.

If the sago is big, I would trim the leaves/fronds to the point I can cover the whole plant.

If you have any heat source (heat cable or Christmas lights), it is a big plus. 

Edited by smatofu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I hope my Sabal minor doesn’t mind the rain before the deep freeze. The coldest night was originally 16 which would’ve been easier to swallow than 10, but as long as it stays out of zone 7 I’ll be fine.

1D47F309-FE11-4E21-BAB7-25CD49103FD1.thumb.jpeg.486f281c4197d421b00823b7014994b6.jpeg

17 minutes ago, cm05 said:

I hope my Sabal minor doesn’t mind the rain before the deep freeze. The coldest night was originally 16 which would’ve been easier to swallow than 10, but as long as it stays out of zone 7 I’ll be fine.

1D47F309-FE11-4E21-BAB7-25CD49103FD1.thumb.jpeg.486f281c4197d421b00823b7014994b6.jpeg

An established minor should be ok with that.  Throw something over if worried.

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Well? Not that replacing my two outdoor ground fault outlets had anything to do with the arctic cold front on the way but I did think it was time to replace my 30-year old outlets so I did and suddenly my backyard palm eco system has been left without power…apparently, my 30-year old ground fault outlets weren’t as ground fault as I thought and I’ve been an electrocution hazard for many years…most of my cord connections have been lying in wait to kill me, according to my new outlets, but I’ll see to it my palms won’t be without some heat starting tomorrow night.  I’ll have to get out there and disassemble all my outdoor extension cord connections, dry them out with a hair dryer, reconnect them and seal them with waterproof tape…I always wondered why those ground fault breakers didn’t kick…even in the biggest flooding rains…🤔😳😏…what a disruption.

Have to say though, the duration of cold here in NOVA seems several nights well below freezing followed by only a couple days below freezing and the rest of the days next week, above freezing…they saw way worse in 2014 with extended days and nights below freezing, but what’s coming is relatively sunny as well so doesn’t seem like that big a deal…here anyway. Just want to get the electricity flowing to light the lights that supply that little bit of heat to take off the edge.

Had a lot of rain today so will treat the crowns again with copper fungicide and make some bread this weekend…Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Well? Not that replacing my two outdoor ground fault outlets had anything to do with the arctic cold front on the way but I did think it was time to replace my 30-year old outlets so I did and suddenly my backyard palm eco system has been left without power…apparently, my 30-year old ground fault outlets weren’t as ground fault as I thought and I’ve been an electrocution hazard for many years…most of my cord connections have been lying in wait to kill me, according to my new outlets, but I’ll see to it my palms won’t be without some heat starting tomorrow night.  I’ll have to get out there and disassemble all my outdoor extension cord connections, dry them out with a hair dryer, reconnect them and seal them with waterproof tape…I always wondered why those ground fault breakers didn’t kick…even in the biggest flooding rains…🤔😳😏…what a disruption.

Have to say though, the duration of cold here in NOVA seems several nights well below freezing followed by only a couple days below freezing and the rest of the days next week, above freezing…they saw way worse in 2014 with extended days and nights below freezing, but what’s coming is relatively sunny as well so doesn’t seem like that big a deal…here anyway. Just want to get the electricity flowing to light the lights that supply that little bit of heat to take off the edge.

Had a lot of rain today so will treat the crowns again with copper fungicide and make some bread this weekend…Merry Christmas!

Get the connections/ lights and plug ends off the ground.  Electrical tape connections and light ends.  

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

Get the connections/ lights and plug ends off the ground.  Electrical tape connections and light ends.  

Yes and thank you…amazing how the years bury things…pulled one up today that lights my pond flood light…scary…

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tlow said:

It starts today for us NTX folks.....

And it has reached College Station as well this afternoon. A sharp drop in temperatures combined with a biting wind. Oof! Though models predict mid-teens, I am sure temperatures in my area may get reach single digits with clear skies. Temperatures are supposed to remain subzero for over 28 hours.

Spent a grueling couple of days packing up plants (instead of Christmas presents). Basic protection combining hay, fleece and frost cloth that worked for me during Uri as well. This time I was armed with bags of leaves that I had collected from neighbors as well. 

Good luck, everyone! 

Prot1 22.JPG

• Like 7

No one has got our weather quite right. Dropped to 19F last night rose to 21f and now it’s back at 19F. We’re supposed to be warming up not getting colder. As far as I know freezing rain still predicted overnight. I was worried about this triple dip La Niña and I guess it was justified. I purposely didn’t plant a few palms in late summer and decided to keep them in pots this winter. 

• Like 8

We are getting close to the end of this deep freeze in the PNW! 10.4F/-12C was my ultimate low which I haven’t experienced since the late 80s.. Hopefully this is the last time also! Wishing everyone a better outcome with this polar vortex and yes Happy Holidays also🎄

• Like 6

8 hours ago, BigBilly said:

Probably not,my largish sagos in pots completely defoliated at 17 F. I think 8 would probably kill them. Sidenote... -7 f here with -30 wind-chill. Spring can't get here fast enough...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrTropical said:

After looking at the wind-chill expected for the Austin TX area, I'd recommend keeping them in the garage, especially since they are in pots. Celeste Figs are hardy down to 0F but that is with the expectation of them being in-ground. Soil tends to freeze faster in pots than in-ground, and with the wind-chill possibly bringing temperatures down as low as -7F, you're taking a considerable chance if left outdoors.

Hope this helps.

12-22-2022

Just hit here.  Within 10 minutes one of my covers blew off and I went to put back on and it was frozen solid.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Allen said:

Just hit here.  Within 10 minutes one of my covers blew off and I went to put back on and it was frozen solid.

Oh no. I had two cover’s blown off overnight as well the winds has been relentless. It ends up being a matter of making it work even if it’s ugly. We usually have high winds with our cold weather but this is a whole different animal. Good luck. 

• Like 2

17F right now with some strong wind gust, the temps will continue to drop till sunrise, but I fear the coldest temperatures will occur tomorrow night with no wind or clouds.

Thankfully I only have Sabal minors and 1 Sabal uresana in the ground. 

coldelmo.gif.c3e4b3f2d3b82aee25ddebffbf703d61.gif

• Like 5

Opinion needed.

here is my forecast.

I’m not gonna protect my robusta, it will probably fry or die with my low temps. Should I just cut the fronds off and take care of the trunk? Could that hurt it anymore than it’s already gonna hurt? 

CE0E2022-3BBF-4517-9CA3-AECAE53A3DA0.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jtee said:

Opinion needed.

here is my forecast.

I’m not gonna protect my robusta, it will probably fry or die with my low temps. Should I just cut the fronds off and take care of the trunk? Could that hurt it anymore than it’s already gonna hurt? 

Yes cut off fronds and protect trunk/spear.  I'm not sure what you have to protect it with but that is a good plan on those.  

Little mini lights chugging along with frost cloth and plastic wrap I added for wind.  CH 2 is outdoor temp.  CH 3 is mule and others are Trachy.   2F is supposed to be low now at 4AM

tempgauge.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Little mini lights chugging along.  Station 2 is outdoor temp.  2F is supposed to be low now at 4AM

Think warm thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Yes cut off fronds and protect trunk/spear.  I'm not sure what you have to protect it with but that is a good plan on those.  

I’ll try to find something to protect it with, with the fronds missing it’ll be much easier to protect. I tried wrapping it earlier tonight but they are harder than I thought to tie up the fronds. 

37F here currently at my location in Western North Carolina. It will drop down to 5F by sunrise, dropping to -4F by 10PM tonight. This is the coldest air to hit the state in years.

Stay warm everyone, and make sure your palms stay warm too.

12-23-2022

Edited by MrTropical
  • Like 3

Emerald Isle, NC

2 hours ago, Jtee said:

I’ll try to find something to protect it with, with the fronds missing it’ll be much easier to protect. I tried wrapping it earlier tonight but they are harder than I thought to tie up the fronds. 

The fronds will always grow back once warmer weather hits. But yes, focus on protecting the trunk and spear. That's the life of the palm.

12-23-2022

Edited by MrTropical

Emerald Isle, NC

B5488573-2DB5-4E01-8F89-66E37561B268.thumb.jpeg.8a652a5be44239abe212214c10f11f59.jpegCall me crazy (not a far stretch there)😅fairly excited to see how this experiment turns out now. Whatever survives gets the cold hardy stamp of approval 

• Like 3

Wind is howling here… currently 43 and dropping. Calling for potential power outages, which wouldn’t surprise me with all the rain we’ve had this past week. Tree roots are all soggy. Stocked up on fire wood for the fireplace. Backup propane heater and made sure I’ve got gas for the generator. 🤕

NWS:

Impacts: Prolonged periods of freezing temperatures, with
multiple nights in the teens, raises concern for frozen pipes,
those without warm shelter, and sensitive plants and animals.
Wind gusts of up to 45 mph may cause power outages and travel
difficulties, particularly for high profile vehicles. Impacts
from any power outages are compounded by the frigid
temperatures. Rain from Wednesday night/Thursday morning may
become black ice on Friday night in poorly drained roadways.

This is one of the coldest air masses in recent memory across the area
and the first time a Wind Chill Advisory has been issued for the
entire area since 2/8/2015. Bottom line, these are hazardous
conditions and if you have to be out Friday night into Saturday
morning, you will need layers.

Edit: just got a call from my folks. Power is out. 🤕

Edited by RJ

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Wow…I heard up in Montana, temperatures dropped 40 degrees in 30 minutes! That kind of cold is unreal…but if anyone is ready for it, you are. Gotta get my lights working today for sure.