IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Polar Vortex 2022...... who's ready?

Sabal King

Looks like my young queen made it too.  Spear already grew almost an inch , green healthy growths . Located on a the NW side , covered only with a bucket and a thin layer of bedsheet around made it a pretty impressive cold tolerent palm.  I deep watered it and added extra layer of mulch before the polar vortex moved in so that definitely helped .  I market the spear at the opening now you can see it's already growing.  It survived 16F and 19F nights and many other hours in the 20s.  The right care like fertilizing , watering and mulch around the base makes a palm hardier . I followed the experts advices. 

20230104_113048.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MarcusH said:

Looks like my young queen made it too.  Spear already grew almost an inch , green healthy growths . Located on a the NW side , covered only with a bucket and a thin layer of bedsheet around made it a pretty impressive cold tolerent palm.  I deep watered it and added extra layer of mulch before the polar vortex moved in so that definitely helped .  I market the spear at the opening now you can see it's already growing.  It survived 16F and 19F nights and many other hours in the 20s.  The right care like fertilizing , watering and mulch around the base makes a palm hardier . I followed the experts advices. 

20230104_113048.jpg

Marcus I saw a lot of queens survive in New Braunfels from around 15 or 16 degrees in 2011.  A lot of them.  Some of which lived all the way until Feb 21.

5 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Marcus I saw a lot of queens survive in New Braunfels from around 15 or 16 degrees in 2011.  A lot of them.  Some of which lived all the way until Feb 21.

It's amazing how much of cold temperatures they can handle.  They're fast growing and cheap and easy to remove even when mature . They're root system growths very shallow and the trunks are normally thin .  They're also easily to winterize in cases of very cold snaps unlike washingtonias with all their razor sharp spikes ,messed up my bedsheets lol.  It's a good looking palm I'll stick to it.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 2:51 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

Initial assessment of palms planted on my property:

Updated assessment:

Species Minimum Temperature Damage Sustained Protection Notes Status Date
Brahea armata 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. 25% frond damage. Frost cloth. Juvenile.  Approximately seven years old.  Experienced spear pull during freeze in February 2021 and February 2022. 1/5/2023
Brahea armata 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately three years old. 1/5/2023
Chamaedorea radicalis  17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. 75% frond damage. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately three years old. 1/5/2023
Chamaedorea radicalis  17F (-8.3C) No damage. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately three years old. 1/5/2023
Chamaerops humilis var. humilis 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. No frond damage. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately three years old.  Experienced spear pull in February 2022. 1/5/2023
Livistona decora 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately two years old. 1/5/2023
Livistona chinensis 17F (-8.3C) Light frond damage. Spear intact. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately three years old. 1/5/2023
Nannorrhops ritchieana 17F (-8.3C) 25% frond damage. Spear intact. Frost cloth. Approximately eight years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Phoenix dactylifera 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Frost cloth. Juvenile.  Approximately four years old. 1/5/2023
Rhapis excelsa 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately four years old.  All stems in clump expierenced spear pull. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Green' 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Community pot. Approximately eight years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Green' 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Community pot. Approximately four years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Green' 17F (-8.3C) No damage. None. Approximately four years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Silver' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Approximately four years old.  Experienced spear pull in February 2022. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Silver' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately two years old.   1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Silver' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately two years old. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Silver' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately three years old.   Survived freeze in February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Silver' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately two years old. 1/5/2023
Serenoa repens 'Silver' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. No frond damage. Frost cloth. Juvenile.  Approximately two years old.  Spear pull on one of two stems in clump. 1/5/2023
Sabal etonia 'Miamiensis' 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Community pot. Strap leaf seedling.  Less than one year old. 1/5/2023
Sabal mexicana 17F (-8.3C) No damage. None. Juvenile.  Approximately five years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Sabal mexicana 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately three years old. 1/5/2023
Sabal minor 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Frost cloth. Approximately seven years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Sabal minor 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Frost cloth. Approximately seven years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Sabal minor 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Frost cloth. Approximately seven years old.  Survived freeze in February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Sabal minor 17F (-8.3C) No damage. None. Approximately five years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Sabal minor 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Frost cloth. Approximately five years old. 1/5/2023
Sabal minor 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Frost cloth. Approximately five years old. 1/5/2023
Sabal minor 'Tamaulipas San Carlos' 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Community pot. Strap leaf seedling.  Approximately two years old. 1/5/2023
Sabal palmetto 17F (-8.3C) No damage. Frost cloth. Approximately ten years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 with minimal frond damage, and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Sabal uresana 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Strap leaf seedling.  Approximately three years old. 1/5/2023
Trachycarpus fortunei 17F (-8.3C) No damage Frost cloth. Approximately thirteen years old.  Survived freeze in February 2021 with spear pull, and February 2022 with no damage. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia x filibusta 17F (-8.3C) 25% frond damage.  Spear intact Frost cloth. Approximately six years old.  Survived freeze in  February 2022 with minimal frond damage. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia x filibusta 17F (-8.3C) 50% frond damage.  Spear intact Frost cloth. Approximately four years old. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia x filibusta 17F (-8.3C) 50% frond damage.  Spear intact Frost cloth. Approximately four years old. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia x filibusta 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. 75% frond damage. Community pot. Juvenile.  Less than two years old. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia x filibusta 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. None. Juvenile.  Less than two years old. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia filifera 'Coachella' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. 75% frond damage. Community pot. Juvenile.  Less than two years old. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia filifera 'Coachella' 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. None. Juvenile.  Less than two years old. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia robusta 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately two years old. 1/5/2023
Washingtonia robusta 17F (-8.3C) Spear pull. Complete defoliation. Community pot. Juvenile.  Approximately two years old. 1/5/2023
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

14 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Damn...

Sucks.  Put another mule there?

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

51 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Damn...

I wouldn’t be surprised if it pulls through. They’re tough buggers. 

guy over here has a big queen in his front yard, it’s been there a couple years. I drove by it today and it actually didn’t look that bad, he didn’t protect it or anything. I’ll be watching to see if it makes it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Allen said:

Sucks.  Put another mule there?

Yea it's definitely a bummer. I think I'm going to cut it down to good tissue and nurse it through the winter. Had to cut it back last year and it pulled through, not sure how much it's going to like having it done two years in a row but we're gonna find out. Lytos are definitely tougher than queens, at least in my experience

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RJ said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it pulls through. They’re tough buggers. 

guy over here has a big queen in his front yard, it’s been there a couple years. I drove by it today and it actually didn’t look that bad, he didn’t protect it or anything. I’ll be watching to see if it makes it. 

I'm super surprised it spear pulled, especially with having it wrapped and whatnot. Gave the spear on my abreojos a good tug and it feels solid. I wrapped that one but didn't give it any heat - could be where I have it planted. 

The one that spear pulled is going under the knife in the next couple of days so we'll see what happens. How big is that guy's queen? 

48 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I'm super surprised it spear pulled, especially with having it wrapped and whatnot. Gave the spear on my abreojos a good tug and it feels solid. I wrapped that one but didn't give it any heat - could be where I have it planted. 

The one that spear pulled is going under the knife in the next couple of days so we'll see what happens. How big is that guy's queen? 

Here it is… been there a couple years anyway. 

22321195-AB86-4630-A0ED-7C1A620DCF13.jpeg

• Like 1

@DAVEinMBif it makes you feel any better, my neighbors queen got snapped in half by the high winds we had during the cold event.  It also resulted in the wrap on it coming off so I suspect its a goner.  He does have three more big ones ready to take its place though.

32 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@DAVEinMBif it makes you feel any better, my neighbors queen got snapped in half by the high winds we had during the cold event.  It also resulted in the wrap on it coming off so I suspect its a goner.  He does have three more big ones ready to take its place though.

Kinda just makes me feel sad for him lol. I still think it stands a chance to pull through, just gonna be a bit of an uphill battle over the next 2 months. Once I cut it back I may build an enclosure around it and throw a heat lamp in with it. Encourage growth since we're coming into the coldest 2 months of the year

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RJ said:

Here it is… been there a couple years anyway. 

22321195-AB86-4630-A0ED-7C1A620DCF13.jpeg

Oh wow that's a beaut. Pretty surprising to see one look that good in Columbia. 

35 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

That picture is way closer then I’ve ever been to it, all I ever see is the top. It’s on a dead end road, I’d never know it was there other then my son used to play soccer at the YMCA across the street 😂

apparently there are some along the lake, but I’ve only been told second hand. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

A quick assessment of freeze damage incurred to area palms. etc around here:

Conditions: Dec 23 lo 20-21 high 32-34 Dec 24 lo 22 hi 38 Dec 25 lo 22 hi 48 Dec 26 lo 25 hi 56 dry throughout but followed by alot of rain after warmup

The hardy stuff (Sabals, Pindos, Windmills, European fans) was basically unfazed

Canary Island Date Palms came through surprisingly well with negligible to minor frond discoloration

Sylvesters and other dates are inconsistent - some still look quite green, a few are fried

Pygmy dates unsurprisingly are toasted for the most part

Mule palm hybrids mostly look pretty good with perhaps minor alteration

Livistonas mostly have considerable 'frosting' or burn although some aren't too bad

Washingtonias are a mixed bag: ranging from very minor to moderate fading or browning, but overall look much better than 2021. However, a few are now showing signs of partial crown collapse. I expect the isolated specimen to succumb.

Queens that are still around (not many at all) have moderate to considerable frond damage but look much better if they were wrapped

Sagos mainly look fine

Citrus was hit kinda hard but should survive, especially if they were protected. Navels and Lemons have heavy leaf stress while satsumas are generally okay

I sure hope we get through the rest of the winter without any more hard freezes and the excessive rain is not helpful

• Like 4

My coldest temperature of this season was 11oF(possibly colder). My in ground Sabal minors had no damage, of course, but my lone in ground strap leaf Sabal uresana was severely burned, but should survive.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jtee said:

ust a few palms healing from the cold in Dothan Alabama. 

Good photos.  It's very obvious which palms are hardier than others - CIDP and Washingtonia look dreadful, Sabal and Butia look like nothing happened.  How cold did you get @Jtee?

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

4 hours ago, Ryland said:

Good photos.  It's very obvious which palms are hardier than others - CIDP and Washingtonia look dreadful, Sabal and Butia look like nothing happened.  How cold did you get @Jtee?

I don’t know how cold Dothan got but I live 30 mins west of there and we got down to 13,16, and 18. Two of those days we never got above freezing. 
The sabals and pindos in my yard look as if they haven’t even seen freezing temps. It’s amazing the cold they can take. Now my robustas and CIDP and Sylvester’s look like crap and are fried! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jtee said:

I don’t know how cold Dothan got but I live 30 mins west of there and we got down to 13,16, and 18. Two of those days we never got above freezing. 
The sabals and pindos in my yard look as if they haven’t even seen freezing temps. It’s amazing the cold they can take. Now my robustas and CIDP and Sylvester’s look like crap and are fried! 

Yea my Sylvester is starting to show a decent amount of burn. My washy is crispy

18 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Kinda just makes me feel sad for him lol. I still think it stands a chance to pull through, just gonna be a bit of an uphill battle over the next 2 months. Once I cut it back I may build an enclosure around it and throw a heat lamp in with it. Encourage growth since we're coming into the coldest 2 months of the year

I guess I'm lucky December is the coldest month here followed by January.  Long term forecasts look good for January so far, and once we get past the second week of Feb its smooth sailing.

• Like 2

After 7F all of the Butias spear pulled along with the chamaerops. I have 8 larger sizes Butias but I'm not sure they'll make it. 

The Sabal palmettos and minors did the best. 

• Like 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

21 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I drove by it today actually, it’s looking a lot more beat up… interesting to see if it makes it. 

1 hour ago, Brad Mondel said:

After 7F all of the Butias spear pulled along with the chamaerops. I have 8 larger sizes Butias but I'm not sure they'll make it. 

The Sabal palmettos and minors did the best. 

Brad , sorry to hear about your butia. How cold did you get in 2018/19 during that very long cold snap?

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I guess I'm lucky December is the coldest month here followed by January.  Long term forecasts look good for January so far, and once we get past the second week of Feb its smooth sailing.

Yea luckily the extended forecast is looking pretty good through February but we know how quickly that can change haha. But if the stars align maybe it'll be smooth sailing for us too

• Like 1

CRISPY

Of the 5 mules this one looks the worst, 3 look like nothing happened, and the remaining one falls somewhere in between

20230106_163330.jpg

20230106_163342.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RJ said:

I drove by it today actually, it’s looking a lot more beat up… interesting to see if it makes it. 

Yea i believe it, my yard is looking more tattered as the days pass. Some things are still surprising me tho.

Hope that queen pulls through, definitely a gem

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

CRISPY

Of the 5 mules this one looks the worst, 3 look like nothing happened, and the remaining one falls somewhere in between

Amazing how variable mules are, that’s why you gotta plant a bunch of them .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

C. Microspadix adding some "color" to the mix. 

Don't wanna inundate this thread with my stuff anymore so I'll save the rest for my yard's thread. 

20230106_194242.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB

Just an interesting observation, and maybe others have seen this already, but on the sabals I have had that bleached fronds, not dried out, shriveled, just bleached, I decided to water heavily this last weekend, and this week, and will continue to (we've been dry this winter), the fronds went from bleach white, to light brown, to dark brown, and appear to be going back to green in many places.

I have a 5G or so S. Urensas planted in ground years ago and it was white a day or two after the cold, now it's dark green like nothing happened.  I'm seeing this all over with S. Bermudana, S. Urensas mainly, but even Mexicana...

Anyone else seen or seeing this?

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Damage report on unprotected palms at -1F and 88 hours below freezing.  Unlisted palms were heated and have little to no damage

Needle palms 4' - no damage except one has a shriveled new frond and will check that trunk for spear pull.  No spear pull so far although these can pull in spring

S. minors - Small seedling size if overhead canopy look good, ones without have shriveled tips on some.  Mature ones 3'-4' range from mild spotting on older fronds to mild-moderate spotting on all fronds

S. Birmingham 4'-7'- All had a frost cloth cover/no heat.   1- 80% damage, 1-50% damage, 1 close to cover - mild spotting, 1 now suspected to be a minor has minor spotting

S. Louisiana 6' - frost cloth/no heat - 80% damage

S. brazoriensis 6' - frost cloth/no heat - mainly spotting on older fronds

1 hour ago, tlow said:

Just an interesting observation, and maybe others have seen this already, but on the sabals I have had that bleached fronds, not dried out, shriveled, just bleached, I decided to water heavily this last weekend, and this week, and will continue to (we've been dry this winter), the fronds went from bleach white, to light brown, to dark brown, and appear to be going back to green in many places.

You have such a variety of Sabals and 10F is kind of a interesting low temp it would be helpful to get a updated damage report on the Sabal varieties.  Even small if they start getting damaged at 10F some of us in colder zones will know to be really careful or not plant those.  

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

19 minutes ago, Allen said:

Damage report on unprotected palms at -1F and 88 hours below freezing.  Unlisted palms were heated and have little to no damage

Needle palms 4' - no damage except one has a shriveled new frond and will check that trunk for spear pull.  No spear pull so far although these can pull in spring

S. minors - Small seedling size if overhead canopy look good, ones without have shriveled tips on some.  Mature ones 3'-4' range from mild spotting on older fronds to mild-moderate spotting on all fronds

S. Birmingham 4'-7'- All had a frost cloth cover/no heat.   1- 80% damage, 1-50% damage, 1 close to cover - mild spotting, 1 now suspected to be a minor has minor spotting

S. Louisiana 6' - frost cloth/no heat - 80% damage

S. brazoriensis 6' - frost cloth/no heat - mainly spotting on older fronds

You have such a variety of Sabals and 10F is kind of a interesting low temp it would be helpful to get a updated damage report on the Sabal varieties.  Even small if they start getting damaged at 10F some of us in colder zones will know to be really careful or not plant those.  

I'm due for an update to my youtube channel here.  I did a round or two of walkthrough of the property but it's been a week... I'm slacking!

I will tell you a few thoughts that I've learned so far because I've been at this a few years, and some folks scolded me when I started doing this telling me it can't be done, but I have planted seedlings (single strap leaf), two strap leafs, 1G, 5G and everything in between at various parts of the year.  I can report Sabals as a whole for everything I own do NOT care what time of year.  Last fall I planted 15x single leaf S. Minors all over, then we got 48 hours of <20F, ice, snow, and they are all thriving now going onto split leaves and will go palmate in due time.

This year, I got S. Palmetto Baldhead, S. Maritima, S. Louisiana, S. Birmingham, S. Urensas, S. Riverside, and so much more and they went in the ground throughout the year.  The Baldhead literally germinated in April\May and barely was on a second leaf.  It got planted late in the year, and while some of the growth above ground bleached, it's now pushed 2" of green growth.  Same for the Maritima, etc...

Last observation is, which I think some folks argue against as well, but WATER them before and after an event, heavily.... We should be getting rain this time of the year but it's been super dry.  I was shocked to see the Urensas go from 100% bleached, to now DARK brown and my Bermudanas which were 100% bleached, are getting green patches in the white.  They're thirsty, don't deprive them, especially after a crappy cold event.  Probably need it the most right now.  Back to watering, and I will do a video later and show some of the progress.  Thus far, with my 150+ in ground Sabals...  ZERO losses at 10.6F ultimate low... zero, even the single leaf ones I've planted all over.

• Like 4

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

27 minutes ago, tlow said:

I'm due for an update to my youtube channel here.  I did a round or two of walkthrough of the property but it's been a week... I'm slacking!

I will tell you a few thoughts that I've learned so far because I've been at this a few years, and some folks scolded me when I started doing this telling me it can't be done, but I have planted seedlings (single strap leaf), two strap leafs, 1G, 5G and everything in between at various parts of the year.  I can report Sabals as a whole for everything I own do NOT care what time of year.  Last fall I planted 15x single leaf S. Minors all over, then we got 48 hours of <20F, ice, snow, and they are all thriving now going onto split leaves and will go palmate in due time.

This year, I got S. Palmetto Baldhead, S. Maritima, S. Louisiana, S. Birmingham, S. Urensas, S. Riverside, and so much more and they went in the ground throughout the year.  The Baldhead literally germinated in April\May and barely was on a second leaf.  It got planted late in the year, and while some of the growth above ground bleached, it's now pushed 2" of green growth.  Same for the Maritima, etc...

Last observation is, which I think some folks argue against as well, but WATER them before and after an event, heavily.... We should be getting rain this time of the year but it's been super dry.  I was shocked to see the Urensas go from 100% bleached, to now DARK brown and my Bermudanas which were 100% bleached, are getting green patches in the white.  They're thirsty, don't deprive them, especially after a crappy cold event.  Probably need it the most right now.  Back to watering, and I will do a video later and show some of the progress.  Thus far, with my 150+ in ground Sabals...  ZERO losses at 10.6F ultimate low... zero, even the single leaf ones I've planted all over.

That's a great video update.  That is what I was looking for.  My little riverside from @teddytn got beat up bad even covered in a prime spot.  I just saw your bulgaria got beat up too.  Further evidence the "bulgaria" fortunei are not more hardy than regular fortunei

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Allen said:

Further evidence the "bulgaria" fortunei are not more hardy than regular fortunei

Marketing gimmick. There was nothing special about those fortunei. They had good siting and probably a few mild years. They’re all dead as far as I know. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Allen said:

That's a great video update.  That is what I was looking for.  My little riverside from @teddytn got beat up bad even covered in a prime spot.  I just saw your bulgaria got beat up too.  Further evidence the "bulgaria" fortunei are not more hardy than regular fortunei

Agreed... I secretely hope (close your ears allen) that my Trachys croak, and I may just pull them, pot them, and sell\give them away... I have my two big ones that have never been covered, never had an issue through any winter that have earned a spot, but the other three.. plus bulgaria, blah.  It is all marketing btw... 100%, no doubt.

I scored some W. Filifera seedlings (1G and 10G) that amazingly enough a very cool story.  The seeds folks have been collecting (post '21) of the survifor here in DFW, their parents are out in Chino Valley, AZ... the owner lives in the DFW area and gifted me a few.  His were never covered in '21, nor ever, and they grow, and they're beautiful!  I need a few spots for those.  Have always wanted W. Filifera but needed survivor genetics for DFW.  The parent of this Filifera here in DFW has been here since the late 60's!

• Like 3

Queen and Mexican fan are coming back.  Filifera has some minor leaf damage . Almost all palms including Filifera have severe leaf damage they all turned brown with a little green left. They'll come back strong in spring after the last freeze . 

20230107_171322.jpg

20230107_171327.jpg

20230107_171341.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/6/2023 at 5:42 PM, RJ said:

Brad , sorry to hear about your butia. How cold did you get in 2018/19 during that very long cold snap?

It wasn't as cold in 18/19 but I had all of the palms in a heated greenhouse at the time. The spears pulled look like wilted cabbage and smell bad. I saw mature Butias completely fried around town today. I guess time will tell if there's survivors. 

• Like 3

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

So far absolutely nothing has perished, but I'm waiting on my rescue Butia to push out a new spear.  I've done some daconil, and peroxide and had to deal with this happening last spring too after the ice.  It eventually pushed out a new spear, and doubled in size.  I can certainly feel something down there, and none of the petioles are pulling.  Hoping that one pulls through, so I can breathe a collective sigh of relief.

I have been watering ALL of my sabals heavily as we are getting beautiful sun, and 70 to now 82F today and it'll be nice winter weather through the end of the month.  I can see tons of growth going on, so make sure you water everything.  They want to grow!

• Upvote 1