IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

King palm indoor

Chavy87

I have a triple trunk King Palm in a wine barrel, I brought it into the garage under LED grow lights for the winter. It's looking pretty poor. I'm thinking it may need more water? Some of the fronds are nice and green others are brown.

20221211_211605.jpg

20221211_211259.jpg

20221211_211332.jpg

20221211_211433.jpg

20221211_211418.jpg

They are water hogs. Keep ‘em wet! We’re they subjected to frost or subfreezing temperatures before you moved them into your garage?

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

No not at all. In fact my king palm that is outside looks better than the one pictured aside from a little yellowing probably due to lack of nutrients. I'll attach a picture of the one outside tomorrow in the light.

7 hours ago, Chavy87 said:

No not at all. In fact my king palm that is outside looks better than the one pictured aside from a little yellowing probably due to lack of nutrients. I'll attach a picture of the one outside tomorrow in the light.

I notice your forecast in Plumas Lake, CA is calling for nighttime lows in the upper 20s for the next few days. That coupled with frost will damage King Palms. I hope your outdoor ones are protected by overhead tree canopy. 

• Like 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim I stand correct, I checked the outdoor king this morning and it was covered in frost. The lights were not enough. Hopefully this was the only time frost has accumulated and it will survive.  Any tricks anyone knows to keep the frost off?

20221213_081250.jpg

20221213_081255.jpg

19 minutes ago, Chavy87 said:

Jim I stand correct, I checked the outdoor king this morning and it was covered in frost. The lights were not enough. Hopefully this was the only time frost has accumulated and it will survive.  Any tricks anyone knows to keep the frost off?

20221213_081250.jpg

20221213_081255.jpg

Get a frost cloth and maybe some stakes to keep the cloth suspended over the palm. I have this setup for some of mine right now. The frost will sit on the cloth, not the fronds. My kings have been through the ringer this year... it's just been a bitter cold fall.... not even winter yet. I had actual ice on my kings (unprotected) a couple weeks ago. They did fine, but you may want to make sure there's some protection for these going forward. Cumulative effects can do them in. 

1 hour ago, Chavy87 said:

Jim I stand corrected, I checked the outdoor king this morning and it was covered in frost. The lights were not enough. Hopefully this was the only time frost has accumulated and it will survive.  Any tricks anyone knows to keep the frost off?

20221213_081250.jpg

20221213_081255.jpg

On 12/11/2022 at 11:27 PM, Chavy87 said:

I have a triple trunk King Palm in a wine barrel, I brought it into the garage under LED grow lights for the winter. It's looking pretty poor. I'm thinking it may need more water? Some of the fronds are nice and green others are brown.

Like Jim said, they're water hogs.  But even in a container the roots can sufficate in mucky soil.  Make sure your soil drains well and then water, water, water... 

Even Miracle Gro potting mix becomes mucky after a couple of years.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

4 hours ago, Fusca said:

Like Jim said, they're water hogs.  But even in a container the roots can sufficate in mucky soil.  Make sure your soil drains well and then water, water, water... 

Even Miracle Gro potting mix becomes mucky after a couple of years.

I have several growing well in stagnant muck 365 days per year in an in-ground fiberglass pond (no drain holes). Stinky water is right up to their trunks. A gravel layer hides the muck and any smell. The palms are doing exceptionally well after several years there. King palms are truly aquatic. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

6 hours ago, Chavy87 said:

20221213_081250.jpg

20221213_081255.jpg

If you have a large beach umbrella or similar to place over the palm, frost won’t form. It will also help trap heat from the string of lights. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

2 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I have several growing well in stagnant muck 365 days per year in an in-ground fiberglass pond (no drain holes). Stinky water is right up to their trunks. A gravel layer hides the muck and any smell. The palms are doing exceptionally well after several years there. King palms are truly aquatic. 

Jim, I believe it!  :) This past summer I put several seedling containers with different Archontophoenix species in buckets so that they would have steady access to water during several days of 100°+ temps.  All did great except I noticed one really struggling and I figured that it needed potting up.  I was horrified at the sludge it was growing in!  The roots had started to turn brown.  I rinsed off the roots and put it in a completely new mix.  Now it is improving in the better draining mix.  For some reason a container presents problems that wouldn't be an issue in the ground in similar conditions.  Root rot with Ravenea rivularis in containers doesn't make sense either but it seems to happen a lot.

Edited by Fusca
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

Jim, I believe it!  :) This past summer I put several seedling containers with different Archontophoenix species in buckets so that they would have steady access to water during several days of 100°+ temps.  All did great except I noticed one really struggling and I figured that it needed potting up.  I was horrified at the sludge it was growing in!  The roots had started to turn brown.  I rinsed off the roots and put it in a completely new mix.  Now it is improving in the better draining mix.  For some reason a container presents problems that wouldn't be an issue in the ground in similar conditions.  Root rot with Ravenea rivularis in containers doesn't make sense either but it seems to happen a lot.

Well Jon, the Archotophoenix I have in stagnant water ARE containerized since the 500 gallon former pond contains all of these three particular palm’s roots. There were seven palms there until I thinned them out to just three. No roots have escaped this big “planter.” I have several water elements throughout my landscape and routinely have Archontophoenix seeds sprout and grow up out of the water for months before I remove them. Before I demolished a 22,000 gallon pond, I let King palms in the water mature to up to 20 feet tall. Their roots were anchored to piles of boulders at the bottom of the pond. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

• 2 weeks later...

So here's an update on the king palm in the garage. The fronds on the largest trunk definitely are brown and crispy, the new spear appears to be healthy and the smallest two trunks are healthy as shown in the pictures. Any thoughts on what could have caused the decline in appearance/health?

16721842985897424707515396048683.jpg

1672184342709745275821980426080.jpg

16721843644704388504696622513911.jpg

16721843810383702713082422442295.jpg

Anthony the exciting thing is you may be growing Archontophoenix farther North than anyone on Palmtalk. Especially considering how far inland you are. 

Which is awesome. Kings may get cold damage if they are exposed to below 30. A variety of factors come into play from there. In my old garden several of mine showed frost damage at between 29-31 degrees. This was the last time they had any damage as they grew larger and IMO acclimated as well as I continued to plant more creating a jungle canopy that protected even more cold sensitive palms.

If you can keep your outside double alive through the winter I’d bet if it sees similar temps next winter and beyond it will show less damage each year as it gets bigger. I would also plant more around it to create more protection. 

As for your palms in the pot, it’s a different game. A number of different challenges can impact palms in pots as they aren’t designed for that especially King Palms. It could be cold, it could be fungal, or it could be insect related. 

I’d inspect each leaf closely to see evidence of spider mites or other pests that could damage the palm.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have king palms in whiskey barrels.   One is triple a the other is a quad.   The frawns begin bright green the turn crispy brown. There appears to be black specks on the frawns.