Jump to content
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Hybrids observation.


steve617

Recommended Posts

A few of the T. Hybrids I have are Nova x Waggie and Nanus x Waggie.  I have I think 4 or 5 Nova x Waggie. Their about 1 year old and at first seemed fairly fast growing. I've never had Nova but at this point I don't see any Waggie traits. Also the nanus x waggie I was hoping would be a dwarf trunking palm. Had a couple mention they don't think it will trunk. Still nice. Here is a few pics. Soy assessment is the waggie seems recessive however I have some waggie × bulgaria they seem like they may have some waggie traits. However from what I read since the waggie on that cross is the female may carry more of the waggie gene. 

20221211_075409.jpg

20221211_075416.jpg

20221211_075404.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You've got a lot of nice Trachy hybrids going on!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Allen, now if my Princeps seeds will start germinating. Oh want you know how much I appreciate your videos. I've gave 3 coworkers a Fortunei a couple days and links to your YouTube channel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks!  Well if some of my stuff dies in the future you and @teddytn will have to hook me up!  Both of you are growing a lot of GREAT stuff in TN.  I'm not too good at that part.  

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love some trachy hybrids! I’ve got several from Patrick I’m looking forward to getting some size. And I have a few hundred Nanus open pollinated hybrid seeds germinating now. so mix bag of nanus x all Patricks properties trachys, basically all sp. 

wag x princeps 1gal

nanus x princeps 5gal

nanus x wag 15gal

nova (princeps green form) x “hard leaf” (princeps stonegate) 15gal

nanus x nova (princeps green form) 7gal

110BDEC5-CC1F-4E25-A316-BEF21435BFF5.jpeg

36D0AB74-843F-4500-B362-91F1208DA7C7.jpeg

B901403A-EB7A-4430-8287-ABB2422C2314.jpeg

58B48DF8-2F53-46D0-9432-31B1FE460E9C.jpeg

EDC12132-18FF-45D4-8502-82DEAD618E43.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wag x princeps. 

Probably one of the bigger ones around?  It has more blue on the undersides of the leaves than you can see in this photo.

WXP.thumb.jpg.fb7ae120099a5c613870eab4ebea1aaf.jpg

 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe NC said:

My wag x princeps. 

Probably one of the bigger ones around?  It has more blue on the undersides of the leaves than you can see in this photo.

WXP.thumb.jpg.fb7ae120099a5c613870eab4ebea1aaf.jpg

 

 

Very nice. That's the biggest one I've seen. I have 2 of that cross I n 1 gallon pots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, steve617 said:

Thanks Allen, now if my Princeps seeds will start germinating. Oh want you know how much I appreciate your videos. I've gave 3 coworkers a Fortunei a couple days and links to your YouTube channel.

In the summer, I just toss the fruits into a mulch pile and water. They germinate in about 6 weeks. Probably need a heat mat this time of year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SeanK said:

In the summer, I just toss the fruits into a mulch pile and water. They germinate in about 6 weeks. Probably need a heat mat this time of year.

I've heard several say princeps may take 6 months to over a year. I recently put mine on heat mats so that should help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Love some trachy hybrids! I’ve got several from Patrick I’m looking forward to getting some size. And I have a few hundred Nanus open pollinated hybrid seeds germinating now. so mix bag of nanus x all Patricks properties trachys, basically all sp. 

wag x princeps 1gal

nanus x princeps 5gal

nanus x wag 15gal

nova (princeps green form) x “hard leaf” (princeps stonegate) 15gal

nanus x nova (princeps green form) 7gal

110BDEC5-CC1F-4E25-A316-BEF21435BFF5.jpeg

36D0AB74-843F-4500-B362-91F1208DA7C7.jpeg

B901403A-EB7A-4430-8287-ABB2422C2314.jpeg

58B48DF8-2F53-46D0-9432-31B1FE460E9C.jpeg

EDC12132-18FF-45D4-8502-82DEAD618E43.jpeg

Nice collection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2022 at 6:15 AM, steve617 said:

Also the nanus x waggie I was hoping would be a dwarf trunking palm. Had a couple mention they don't think it will trunk.

Nanus x wag is dwarf trunking. It grows a little sideways first like nanus but then up, I don’t believe it will ever be above 6ft of trunk mature. There’s a few pics on google. Nanus x nova likely same In 2nd pic. 

701B943B-D377-4F3B-A941-1C654A7C0114.jpeg

2A20661D-6C74-473D-B950-C43D851746A4.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Nanus x wag is dwarf trunking. It grows a little sideways first like nanus but then up, I don’t believe it will ever be above 6ft of trunk mature. There’s a few pics on google. Nanus x nova likely same In 2nd pic. 

701B943B-D377-4F3B-A941-1C654A7C0114.jpeg

2A20661D-6C74-473D-B950-C43D851746A4.jpeg

That be great to get a trunk that big. I have I think 8 of them. There still pretty small. I did check the info on mine and says Nanus x Waggie F2. I'll have to take a look at them closer. Thanks

Edited by steve617
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 12/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, steve617 said:

I've heard several say princeps may take 6 months to over a year. I recently put mine on heat mats so that should help 

Have you been able to get them to germinate? 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Likely the "Bulgarian Trachy" has some similar genetics to Waggie or shares some Waggie blood

and thats why you see some traits come out...honestly nothing against trying a Nova x Waggie

cross but it seems to me that this would just create a Fortune type looking palm.

 

Interesting though that we do see wonderful traits exhibited in the Princeps x Waggie cross.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2022 at 8:22 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

Nanus x wag is dwarf trunking. It grows a little sideways first like nanus but then up, I don’t believe it will ever be above 6ft of trunk mature. There’s a few pics on google. Nanus x nova likely same In 2nd pic. 

701B943B-D377-4F3B-A941-1C654A7C0114.jpeg

2A20661D-6C74-473D-B950-C43D851746A4.jpeg

I bought my trachy from a nursery like this, why does this even happen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2023 at 8:03 PM, steve617 said:

Still nothing germinating. I've got a feeling none will.

Same here regarding princeps, been about a year now 😐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Likely the "Bulgarian Trachy" has some similar genetics to Waggie or shares some Waggie blood

and thats why you see some traits come out...honestly nothing against trying a Nova x Waggie

cross but it seems to me that this would just create a Fortune type looking palm.

 

Interesting though that we do see wonderful traits exhibited in the Princeps x Waggie cross.

So cool to see you! I remember you from garden web from like over a decade ago. How are all your palms? I remember they were getting big years ago. 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have all come and gone unfortuneiatly. haha

I moved to the other side of town and had a nice collection of small palms T.Manipur (Naga Hills) T.Takil,T.Oreophilus,T.Gemenisectus

T.Princeps x Wagnerianus, T.Princeps and T.Latisectus but had the lights go off in the December freeze...planted some new stuff this spring

but just to stay on topic...heres a pic of last years T.Princeps x T.Wagnerianus.

 

I do have some new palms in this year and a good sized tree fern going.

 

Good to see you here!

 

Vfuq8VU.jpg?1

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...