IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia filifera holes in palm trunk

MarcusH

Went for a walk in the city and I've noticed that some W.filifera trunks had huge holes in it. One of them already died . Is that a disease ? 

20221209_122310.jpg

20221209_122328.jpg

20221209_122333.jpg

• Like 1

It's common for San Antonio Filifera to have every type of trunk deformity known.  Gouges out of trunk, chunks missing, mangled up trunks, etc.  It usually does not harm the palm at all.  I've seen Filifera with completely healthy looking crowns that have half the trunk missing.  I don't know why this particular palm died.  Maybe it was just weak and was one of the few unfortunate palms that died in the freeze.  But overall, don't worry about trunk deformities.  My large Filifera has some, but it didn't stop it from producing seed and looking great.  Maybe someone else has some insight as to why this palm had holes in it, but in general, I do not worry about Washingtonia trunk deformities.     

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

It's common for San Antonio Filifera to have every type of trunk deformity known.  Gouges out of trunk, chunks missing, mangled up trunks, etc.  It usually does not harm the palm at all.  I've seen Filifera with completely healthy looking crowns that have half the trunk missing.  I don't know why this particular palm died.  Maybe it was just weak and was one of the few unfortunate palms that died in the freeze.  But overall, don't worry about trunk deformities.  My large Filifera has some, but it didn't stop it from producing seed and looking great.  Maybe someone else has some insight as to why this palm had holes in it, but in general, I do not worry about Washingtonia trunk deformities.     

I have seen some trunk deformation only on a few trunks in the SA area overall the trunks looked nice and smooth.  The wash filiferas I saw yesterday had the most severe trunk damage I have ever seen so far.  I guess that's rare and maybe some birds got involved too.  It definitely created some nice housing for them.  I can tell the filifera is a pretty much bullet proof palm in the SA metro . Want to see more of them growing along freeways like a row not just one or two. 

11 hours ago, MarcusH said:

I have seen some trunk deformation only on a few trunks in the SA area overall the trunks looked nice and smooth.  The wash filiferas I saw yesterday had the most severe trunk damage I have ever seen so far.  I guess that's rare and maybe some birds got involved too.  It definitely created some nice housing for them.  I can tell the filifera is a pretty much bullet proof palm in the SA metro . Want to see more of them growing along freeways like a row not just one or two. 

If you want to see more grab a bucket of seeds and toss them into every store, gas station, fast food restaurant, etc lining the freeways in your area. I did exactly that in New Braunfels. You will see palms sprouting everywhere 

On 12/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, NBTX11 said:

If you want to see more grab a bucket of seeds and toss them into every store, gas station, fast food restaurant, etc lining the freeways in your area. I did exactly that in New Braunfels. You will see palms sprouting everywhere 

Absolutely 😄.  I like your way of thinking .  I have to get more seeds from that filifera at that park I went that I told you 2 weeks ago. In the city it seems to be that they clean up the seeds right away . There's this beautiful looking filifera near tobin center but no seeds on the ground nothing.  But yes I'd like to see a lot more filiferas here.  I've noticed NB has quite a lot of them.  I will just do what you do spread them everywhere.  

21 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Absolutely 😄.  I like your way of thinking .  I have to get more seeds from that filifera at that park I went that I told you 2 weeks ago. In the city it seems to be that they clean up the seeds right away . There's this beautiful looking filifera near tobin center but no seeds on the ground nothing.  But yes I'd like to see a lot more filiferas here.  I've noticed NB has quite a lot of them.  I will just do what you do spread them everywhere.  

I’ve got some more you can have if you need some. I have a lot of extras. 

Sure . 7 already growing a leave that's slightly open . The others don't grow.  When it's warmer in the spring I'm going to plant some in the ground close to our neighborhood.  I keep two for myself.  

• 4 weeks later...