IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help me understand this!

ahosey01

This fall, I got a weather station in my yard.  I am at the bottom of a river valley in the desert, and my neighborhood is full of large trees (cottonwoods, pecans, ash trees, cypresses, etc.) because the groundwater is so close to the surface.  Many of these trees are not on irrigation and they look beautiful.

Anyways - because we're in this valley (and in the desert) the cold air seems to sink down to my property.  I find that every night, I am between 28F and 33F.

What's unusual, though, is that my temperatures appear inversely related to the rest of Wickenburg.  In the morning, when I check my station, I check the local Weather Underground ones also.  What I find is that on nights where I am coldest (say 28F), the rest of Wickenburg (which is on the hill) is significantly warmer than me - sometimes 40F-43F.  On nights where I am warmer (say 31F), the rest of Wickenburg is almost always just barely warmer than me - generally 32F-35F.

It makes sense I would be colder than the rest of the town being in this river valley and surrounded by lots of green and little concrete, but I'm completely confused by the inverse relationship between me and the rest of the town.

Can anyone help me understand this phenomenon?

• Like 1

Once again, I greatly appreciate your explanation of the phenomenon witnessed between Yuma and Havasu. Obviously, I have no clue whatsoever to explain the phenomenon you are observing. That stated, it must have something to do with the fact that you are in the valley, and the other station is hillish/urban. It blows my mind how many micro climates the western United States enjoys!

What you look for is what is looking

Cold air is more dense than warm air .   Therefore it drains to the lowest level , similar to water settling into the low places .

In radiational cooling events , with little or no mixing that is quite evident . You are in a pool of cooler  air under these conditions . 

In a bad a** freeze , when the wind is strong , a lot of mixing occurs , and the differences are much less , or not at all .

Even here in Florida , the same happens .  The grove owners installed very large fans in order to mix the air in older days .

.   The subject has  been much discussed .