IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seedling surprise in a bag

Tracy

I forgot about a couple of bags I had placed some Dypsis prestoniana seeds in last December.   I probably monitored them for several months but sine they were behind some books on a book case in my office I stopped checking them.  I was getting something out of the book case and noticed one of the two bags and its contents.   The Dypsis seeds sprouted and have become Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus seedlings.   Such a metamorphosis! 

Baggie date indicates 12/18, so just over 11 months from when I dropped them into the bags.  Nothing happening in the other bag but this one was on top of it.   Not the ideal time of year to be potting them and moving them outside. 

20221201_060844.jpg

• Like 11

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Congratulations! Surely you can find space indoors on a windowsill somewhere? In a warm kitchen or laundry room? Instead of red plastic cups, get one of those fancy English glass terrariums to appease the head of the household: large glass terrarium

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

Congratulations! Surely you can find space indoors on a windowsill somewhere? In a warm kitchen or laundry room? Instead of red plastic cups, get one of those fancy English glass terrariums to appease the head of the household: large glass terrarium

Funny thing, we actually have one of those on the back deck outside.  We were selling some old patio furniture at a resale spot, and picked it up along with another rack that I have some of my orchids hanging on.  Unfortunately it is a bit rusty from being outside for a few years now, so wouldn't be welcomed by the head of household inside.  I'll have to come up with something reasonable to get them through the coming winter months.

• Like 1

"to appease the head of the household" 

You should watch a movie called "Real Women have Curves". 

The father forbids his bright daughter to attend college, Mom comforts  the daughter by saying,  "Don't worry, your father is the head of this household, but I am the neck."    :D

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

21 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

"to appease the head of the household" 

You should watch a movie called "Real Women have Curves". 

The father forbids his bright daughter to attend college, Mom comforts  the daughter by saying,  "Don't worry, your father is the head of this household, but I am the neck."    :D

Slightly off topic follow up question.   Any idea on how long it takes to germinate Chrysalidocarpus onilahensis?  I shared most of my seeds from the weepy form but kept some to baggie up myself.  

Tracy, I have never germinated any Chrysalidocarpus so far.  I treated the seeds with my usual protocol,  2 parts perlite, 1 part peat, in a sealed container with supplemental bottom heat 12 hours on/off per day.  I will keep you informed.  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California