IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mauna Loa Eruption 11-27-2022

Kim

Mauna Loa, the world's largest volcano, began erupting last night at 11:30pm HST after (in conjunction with?) a 4.2 earthquake. Mauna Loa last erupted in 1984. Initially the eruption was confined to the summit crater, but has since spread to fissures beyond the crater, first to the south, then to the north. Last time I checked, the majority of the flow was to the north. The flow remains far from roads (20 miles) and structures, not threatening any downslope communities at this time.

Follow Hawaii Tracker https://www.hawaiitracker.com to see video footage, commentary from Mayor Mitch Roth, USGS experts, links to maps, and more.

https://www.usgs.gov

• Like 5

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm grateful that all I have to worry about is floods, freezes and hurricanes. Good vibes for all of y'all. I start to feel jealous about y'all's growing conditions then I realize y'all deal with stuff I can't comprehend plus stupid prices on everything. 

• Like 1

Oh boy…here you go again. Any danger to Lelani Estates?

• Like 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

1 hour ago, sur4z said:

Oh boy…here you go again. Any danger to Lelani Estates?

Fortunately Leilani Estates is a very unlikely destination for the lava flow this time. The town of Hilo is potentially at risk, though the flow stopped short of it in 1984.

The attached map will help -- all the red areas shown on the small map of the whole island are considered possible flow directions for a Mauna Loa eruption; Leilani estates is in the grey area south and east of Hilo. No chance of inundation from Mauna Loa. But we have lots of friends in Hilo! 😟

Link to the USGS page for this map: https://www.usgs.gov/maps/november-29-2022-mauna-loa-eruption-map

1632052567_ScreenShot2022-11-29at6_38_44PM.thumb.png.ef9c56c8e8c8fc89a935451b91b0cafc.png

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Kim for starting this thread, and the situation has changed quickly over the past day or so. As I type this it is 10 am Wednesday morning in Hawaii and the flow is reportedly about three miles away from Highway 200, a/k/a The Saddle Road. I drove the Saddle Road last night, about 12 hours ago, and took these photos from around Mile Marker 30, give or take a mile or two. This is about halfway between Kona and Hilo side. The flow last night was reportedly about five miles from the road.  Saddle Road was packed with cars in both directions and I saw the wreck after one very serious accident that had just happened. In short, it's a circus up there  and no wonder - this is incredibly spectacular and just about everybody on the island wants to have a look.

DSC_7055(2).JPG

DSC_7082 (2).JPG

DSC_7086 (2).JPG

• Like 5

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Our house and farm are at the 1,200 ft elevation on the west side of Mauna Loa. The northern boundary of the property is the southern edge of Mauna Loa's first flow of 1950 so we watch the seismic activity reports fairly closely. With a good size jolt Sunday evening followed by a bunch of small quakes we had a suspicion that the volcano was more than just rumbling. At 2:00 AM Monday I got a call from a neighbor letting us know that an eruption had started. I went to the front door and looked up the mountain and there was the glow (see pic below). We assembled the crew (sister & brother-in-law were visiting for Thanksgiving), packed up the vehicles and were ready to evacuate but fortunately for us the flow went to the other side of the volcano. 

BTW @bgl - great pics from the Saddle!

gmp

1416082335_MaunaLoaMonday11_28.222AM.JPG.49a50e0695fa5f7e3c13859cb18889e6.JPG 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1