IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any interest in Sabal maritima Seeds? And S causiarum?

NatureGirl

I’ve seen Sabal maritima in person a few times, it looks distinct from causiarum and domingensis. This is an old photo and it’s hard to see the tomentum and freckles on petioles. If enough interest, I can have them sent to me. $10/100. Can get S. Causiarum too if wanted. 

Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com or PM 

3BE0973A-51D3-432C-BB2D-4B9D8ECE2CE0.jpeg

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Those large Sabals make great wind blocks for your house during wind storms. My Sabal Row shielded the east side of our house through Irma and Ian. I'm replacing my 4 dead Bizzies with Sabals on the west side. And there is no more impressive palm than a well grown S. causiarum. So, go get 'em.

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Are you positive they’re causiarum? I think a lot of causiarum floating around are wolves in sheep's clothing. I’ve got a few different lots of causiarum over the years and and many look different even at a young age. 

• Upvote 1

I assume these are in FL? They will hybridize with the native sabals and the seeds will not come true to the parent.

Sabal’s as far as I know don’t tend to hybridize on their own. Sure it happens from time to time, but that’s the exception. But often times the only way to tell one sabal from the other is in the details. Seed size, stalk size etc… 

12 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Im curious how much @PalmatierMegsabal row throws out hybridized seeds ? 

T J 

I have no idea. No seeds have germinated. I agree with @RJ, Sabals are not highly prone to hybridization unlike the Phoenix genus. I suspect Sabals stagger flowering times or have other mechanisms to avoid hybridization. That said, I may have a miamiensis x mexicana hybrid from Leu Garden. It flowers and seeds weeks, even months before any other Sabal I’ve known.

Meg

Florida

14 hours ago, RJ said:

Are you positive they’re causiarum? I think a lot of causiarum floating around are wolves in sheep's clothing. I’ve got a few different lots of causiarum over the years and and many look different even at a young age. 

Definitely causiarum, my friend keeps excellent records and even knows parent plants of his causiarum's.

I also think I can get a couple other species too. Maybe domingensis (this palm has absent ligules) and maybe probably rosei.

• Like 2

I'd like to try S rosei. Domingensis is harder to find nowadays than when I started with Sabals in 2008. I managed to find a stretched out 10g to plant or I'd be interested in seeds of that, too. I've planted 1 S causiarum and have 2 smaller ones in pots until we can prepare planting spots on the west side of the yard where we're still dealing with hurricane damage. Causiarum are so massive from germination they are hard to mistake for anything else. Domingensis are almost as large but as Charlene indicated do not have all the ligules.

Meg

Florida

On 11/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

I have no idea. No seeds have germinated. I agree with @RJ, Sabals are not highly prone to hybridization unlike the Phoenix genus. I suspect Sabals stagger flowering times or have other mechanisms to avoid hybridization. That said, I may have a miamiensis x mexicana hybrid from Leu Garden. It flowers and seeds weeks, even months before any other Sabal I’ve known.

I disagree!

On 11/27/2022 at 7:15 PM, NatureGirl said:

I’ve seen Sabal maritima in person a few times, it looks distinct from causiarum and domingensis. This is an old photo and it’s hard to see the tomentum and freckles on petioles. If enough interest, I can have them sent to me. $10/100. Can get S. Causiarum too if wanted. 

Beachpalms@cfl.rr.com or PM 

3BE0973A-51D3-432C-BB2D-4B9D8ECE2CE0.jpeg

I have the impression, that trunk is rather slender. Not what I would expect from the third of the giant Sabal spp.

In that pic it does look that way, but the bottom of trunk is covered in high weeds, plus that pic is from 2015. Much bigger now. 

• Upvote 1