IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana Fungus?

Dpw4205

Anyone know what this is? Planted my kings in the middle of June. (I know it was a bad time to plant I was just impatient) plants suffered pretty bad this summer, I live in Menifee Ca and it’s pretty hot and dry. I know they usually don’t do well in these conditions but I love these palms and wanted to see if I could get them to grow. They are in full sun so they had a significant amount of sun burn this summer. They seem to be recovering now that it has cooled down. I started having new spears open prematurely, I think this was do to me over fertilizing trying to get them established quicker. They are putting out new spears one after another lately, some are starting to grow spears normally while some are still opening prematurely. I have, in some cases three new leaves opening all at once. I have started noticing that some of the new spears are staring to have brown streaks and then some of the new leaves are turning white and brown. The frond itself sometimes Is very weak and folds in half but the whole leaf itself is a nice green other than those areas of the leaf that turn white and almost kind of slimy. I have one spear that was coming out ( second picture) and it turned brown and died. I tried to pull on it to see if I could pull it out but it just crumbled. The trees seem like they’re healthy other than that. Been searching the internet and palmtalk non stop trying to find out what this is and if it’s curable. Any help would be appreciated. I already lost two palms in a quad bunch. The two that are pictured are my biggest and favorite of all my kings. Please help me figure this out before I lose those, also.
Thank you. 

D1AC6210-52F9-48E8-9144-A759D673947F.jpeg

33260872-EF67-4769-9423-A090CE032A65.jpeg

8A479D4E-EF3B-482C-95DF-829F3497F21C.jpeg

It’s always best to not feed newly planted palms for a few months while they settle in. I think your King palms will be fine. Just give them lots of what they REALLY need…WATER! They are swamp dwellers in their natural habitat so they are used to lots of water. They will reward you with lush growth and fast upward growth as well as nice plump trunks if you keep the soil wet at all times. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Yeah I found that out after I planted them. Should have done more research before experimenting 🤦🏼‍♂️
I took your advice from my first post and upped the water a lot on them and they definitely turned it around once I started watering more. Mulched the slope and it stays consistently wet. It’s a clay/DG mix for the most part where they are planted. Just worried about the ones that had the new spear die. The two that I lost had the same thing happen and they eventually died. Is it possible for them to recover once a spear dies? Will a new spear push it out?

• 1 month later...

Thank you, it looks like most of them are recovering. Two of them still have a spear coming out that’s brown and beat up. The rest are starting to shoot out nice green new spears. 🙌🏼