IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia identification

kristof p

Can anyone Id this Butia sp.? 

The fruits are large and red/purple when ripe. the flowers are purple. I don't have recent pictures of the whole palm but will make some tomorrow. It grows quite fast and has a thick stem, almost like a Jubaea.  I bought it as B. capitata some 15 years ago... could it be B. eriospatha instead?

some pictures of the seeds when ripe 

bs2.jpg

bs.jpg

• Like 5

Palmpedia states eriospatha is the fastest growing and most cold hardy of the Butia.  Also states they can have red fruit, so it fits the bill.  There is also a pic showing seed differences there under eriopsatha, so that might help a little.

Unfortunately though trees in the Butia species have so many similarities its hard to distinguish them apart.  Dr. Noblick published a paper on using leaf samples to help distinguish between four types, maybe that will help...you can find it below using the link.  

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Larry-Noblick

Beautiful tree and phenomenal fruit color, what do you do with it all???

• Like 1

I don’t know what it is but it is beautiful. Hope you know a lot of people to share seeds with.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 1 month later...

My butia has same fruit and also purple stemmed flowers. Grows fast. No fur on spathe. Definitely armed. Round/oblong seeds, 3 eyed. And some purple on the leaf betiols closest to the trunk. 

On 12/24/2022 at 6:26 PM, Roy_marshall said:

My butia has same fruit and also purple stemmed flowers. Grows fast. No fur on spathe. Definitely armed. Round/oblong seeds, 3 eyed. And some purple on the leaf betiols closest to the trunk. 

Hey Roy, welcome to the forum!

Curious where you are located, as I'd be interested in some seed of this particular Butia.

Thanks.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:36 PM, yeye said:

Butia eriosphata have tomentose flower spathe .

i don't see tomentum on your pic

there is no brown tomentose on the flower spathes so no it is not B. eriospatha. But I can not find any information about B. capitata fruits having a red/purple colour.... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 10:19 AM, Scott W said:

Hey Roy, welcome to the forum!

Curious where you are located, as I'd be interested in some seed of this particular Butia.

Thanks.

I’m in Waller Texas. Direct message me. I’d be more than happy to send some seeds. I forgot to mention this specific palm took the freeze of 2021 un protected. Got down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 hrs and was below 10 degrees for more than 12 hrs. With Athena total time below 32 was 4 days straight. 

• Like 1