IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Carpentaria acuminata seeds

aztropic

Subtropical feather leaved palm with a trunk identical in looks to a foxtail. I've found these to be slightly hardier than Royal palms,growing under Arizona's desert conditions. I'm starting a new batch now, but there are plenty of seeds available for others willing to experience the fun of growing your own palms from seed... :greenthumb: Local pickup. 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20221113_075455581.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I've been wanting to grow this. If I send you a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope, would you be willing to mail to NJ?

• Like 1

Absolutely! I'll pm you my address.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

Hi Scott, how funny you had this posted. I was just saying I wanted to try capentarias and I come across this post 🤣. Would i be able to send you a self adressed stamped envelope also please for some seeds? Also if you have Veitchia and humilis seeds if available?

Absolutely. I could fit a few Carpentaria seeds into a standard first class envelope with a .60 forever stamp on it. Veitchia seeds are big,being an inch thick by 1.25 inches long,so would require a bigger envelope. Be aware,first class postage on the larger other than flat envelopes starts around $5.75 up to $7.50 for 13 ounces maximum. I will PM you my address.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

On 11/20/2022 at 6:38 AM, aztropic said:

Absolutely. I could fit a few Carpentaria seeds into a standard first class envelope with a .60 forever stamp on it. Veitchia seeds are big,being an inch thick by 1.25 inches long,so would require a bigger envelope.

Careful with this thought process. The USPS sorting machine will reject envelopes that are not flat. The postage stamp is for a letter that is 1 ounce or less. Also, there is a note that says “Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics in DMM 101.1.2 are subject to the $0.39 nonmachinable surcharge” on the website. I have had a few people send me seeds this way and they have been lost or if they arrived, been nearly destroyed with a postage due fee. The best plan for seeds would be to use a padded envelope and follow the chart on the website or ask at the post office what would be an appropriate amount of postage. Better to pay a few cents more than to have a problem.

• Upvote 1

While I fully agree with and encourage the padded envelope method, I actually have never had a problem mailing several smaller sized seeds in a standard first class envelope. Here's how I do it. Cut a piece of packaging tape about 6" long,stick several seeds in a line onto the tape about 1/3 of the way down,then cover off center with another piece of tape so there is 1/2 inch of sticky tape on either side,with seeds encapsulated. Then this line of seeds is inserted,centered into the pre addressed envelope,and the tape holds it there as it is stuck to both sides of the inner envelope. Always check weight to make sure it's under an ounce when finished packing. It's worked for me without any issues so far,and gives others a chance to try seeds on the cheap that they never would have had access to otherwise. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

9 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Careful with this thought process. The USPS sorting machine will reject envelopes that are not flat. The postage stamp is for a letter that is 1 ounce or less. Also, there is a note that says “Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics in DMM 101.1.2 are subject to the $0.39 nonmachinable surcharge” on the website. I have had a few people send me seeds this way and they have been lost or if they arrived, been nearly destroyed with a postage due fee. The best plan for seeds would be to use a padded envelope and follow the chart on the website or ask at the post office what would be an appropriate amount of postage. Better to pay a few cents more than to have a problem.

This. 

@DoomsDavesent me a few envelopes of various seeds last year. I don't remember the exact timeline, but several months later I got a call from the post office, and out of the 4 or 5 envelopes he mailed, I received one.... That was shredded open and empty. For bonus fun, the post office wanted to charge me these fees. So I'm like, uhhhh y'all destroyed my packages and want me to pay extra? I casually suggested they do things to themselves that are physically impossible and walked out. 

The last couple of times I answered freebie or bought seedlings off of here, I PayPal'd extra money for UPS shipping. 

• Like 2

All the Carpentaria seeds have now been claimed. Good job people! B)

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

19 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

This. 

@DoomsDavesent me a few envelopes of various seeds last year. I don't remember the exact timeline, but several months later I got a call from the post office, and out of the 4 or 5 envelopes he mailed, I received one.... That was shredded open and empty. For bonus fun, the post office wanted to charge me these fees. So I'm like, uhhhh y'all destroyed my packages and want me to pay extra? I casually suggested they do things to themselves that are physically impossible and walked out. 

The last couple of times I answered freebie or bought seedlings off of here, I PayPal'd extra money for UPS shipping. 

Yeah I wasn’t going to mention names but I had the same thing happen. My mailman brought me a ripped and taped up envelope with a single stamp, postage due and a few seeds left. I paid him the money but it wasn’t worth it. The seeds were mashed up and none of them germinated. It can get pretty frustrating doing trades since I send seeds for free all over the country using full postage. It’s not a good trade if I have to pay postage both ways and end up with nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Another happy palmtalker in CROATIA just received free seeds I sent in a standard first class envelope. Again,with my method of sending seeds,I have NEVER had a problem... :shaka-2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Screenshot_20221209-070152.png

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

Standard first class envelope DOES WORK,with my method of sending...:P

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2022 at 12:43 PM, aztropic said:

While I fully agree with and encourage the padded envelope method, I actually have never had a problem mailing several smaller sized seeds in a standard first class envelope. Here's how I do it. Cut a piece of packaging tape about 6" long,stick several seeds in a line onto the tape about 1/3 of the way down,then cover off center with another piece of tape so there is 1/2 inch of sticky tape on either side,with seeds encapsulated. Then this line of seeds is inserted,centered into the pre addressed envelope,and the tape holds it there as it is stuck to both sides of the inner envelope. Always check weight to make sure it's under an ounce when finished packing. It's worked for me without any issues so far,and gives others a chance to try seeds on the cheap that they never would have had access to otherwise. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

A video or pics would give a better idea. But i m volunteering to receive some seeds and see your packaging when you have more 😜

Pat

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2023 at 4:12 PM, Hardypalms said:

A video or pics would give a better idea. But i m volunteering to receive some seeds and see your packaging when you have more 😜

Pat

So how did you like my packaging method? Seeds came through without any trouble, in just a plain letter envelope. 😄

Mesa, Arizona