IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone else have a jungle inside?

teddytn

Last winter there was a bunch of other filler plants in here too. Now this entire room is stuffed with nothing but palms, a little line of cactuses on the window sill and the 2 bigger cactus on the side yes. 
The shelves of seedlings is out of control, all of this outside is one thing, stuffed into the same room is eye opening. Won’t be able to do this another year, seriously have to get this greenhouse finished by this time next year. Definitely a cool spot to hangout in during the winter. A585B84B-3EDC-477D-B5F9-0FFE0E14F034.thumb.jpeg.388d2b385e1ac994e959d9eca4557c86.jpegB4DD954C-7009-4FCD-90D0-66CA50970767.thumb.jpeg.344c94937128c27e407b9c56db41d57b.jpegE5CBA1A8-96B4-4F93-9032-80A67C1971D8.thumb.jpeg.d6c2b4565cfcab6610b002e52e48861c.jpeg3F225473-7FBD-402C-9E0A-D30158EF071C.thumb.jpeg.b2ba12261c28b7a4b00882fc2db12b20.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Last winter there was a bunch of other filler plants in here too. Now this entire room is stuffed with nothing but palms, a little line of cactuses on the window sill and the 2 bigger cactus on the side yes. 
The shelves of seedlings is out of control, all of this outside is one thing, stuffed into the same room is eye opening. Won’t be able to do this another year, seriously have to get this greenhouse finished by this time next year. Definitely a cool spot to hangout in during the winter. 

That's getting crazy!    I should be sending you a seed box in a couple weeks for more palms!  Trachy seeds are turning some.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

36 minutes ago, Allen said:

That's getting crazy!    I should be sending you a seed box in a couple weeks for more palms!  Trachy seeds are turning some.  

Good thinking Allen, add to the problem 😂. Seriously though looking forward to playing with some of your Trachycarpus x wagnerianus seeds especially. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not taking any pics because my apartment is a mess, but yes lol. We had a low of 37 this morning so I brought in half of Patio Squad last night. All the baby Kings have been inside since the first cold snap last month. 

I mean, I ain't got nothing on THAT though. 

5 hours ago, teddytn said:

Good thinking Allen, add to the problem 😂. Seriously though looking forward to playing with some of your Trachycarpus x wagnerianus seeds especially. 

@Allen was it your YouTube video I was supposed to send you an email to get Trachy seeds? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I don't have an addiction, I can quit plants any time I want. 

🤩👏🏻😂 Passionate collector lol. Those are just my palms in that room. Then there’s house plants in the kitchen, my bedroom, living room, bathroom 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

20221114_152109.jpg

20221114_152046.jpg

20221114_152040.jpg

20221114_152030.jpg

20221114_152021.jpg

20221114_152013.jpg

20221114_152004.jpg

3 hours ago, teddytn said:

🤩👏🏻😂 Passionate collector lol. Those are just my palms in that room. Then there’s house plants in the kitchen, my bedroom, living room, bathroom 🤦🏼‍♂️

I love y'all. I'm sitting here with 35 pots in a studio apartment (Patio Squad is mostly inside due to temps in the 30s) wondering what I'm doing with my life, then I look at these pics and I feel better about my decision making process. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@JohnAndSancho if anything you're doing in life resembles what I'm doing, STOP!  Go Back!  The light at the end of the tunnel is a giant bug zapper!  

That reminds me, I need to make another post asking what these translucent green bugs showing up on my walls and ceiling are. No pics because I just sucked them up with my handheld vacuum which is also full of dog hair. 

That seems to be one of the downsides of having lots of vegetation indoors.  I have little bugs hovering around as well.  I'm not sure if they're fungus gnats, but all my palms seem fine so I don't know what to make of them. 

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

20221114_152109.jpg

20221114_152046.jpg

20221114_152040.jpg

20221114_152030.jpg

20221114_152021.jpg

20221114_152013.jpg

20221114_152004.jpg

19 hours ago, teddytn said:

16 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I love y'all. I'm sitting here with 35 pots in a studio apartment (Patio Squad is mostly inside due to temps in the 30s) wondering what I'm doing with my life, then I look at these pics and I feel better about my decision making process. 

I realized that I may have a problem about a week ago with about 300 ftof potted plants. With this years growing conditions, I couldn't reliably plant anything. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, amh said:

I realized that I may have a problem about a week ago with about 300 ftof potted plants. With this years growing conditions, I couldn't reliably plant anything. 

Welcome to palmaholics @amh, admitting you have a problem is the first step. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Welcome to palmaholics @amh, admitting you have a problem is the first step. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I can quit anytime I want:unsure:.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jesse PNW said:

That seems to be one of the downsides of having lots of vegetation indoors.  I have little bugs hovering around as well.  I'm not sure if they're fungus gnats, but all my palms seem fine so I don't know what to make of them. 

Mosquito Dunks or Mosquito Bits will kill them off. Add it to your water. It kills the larva too. Might need to treat it 3 or 4 times but that and the yellow sticky traps will get rid of them. 

• Like 2

I have ended up with all my palms outside now, under shadecloth until they are planted out. Had a handful of smaller ones inside last winter but realise now they are fine outside, do better under more humid outdoor conditions, and we need them out of the way of our toddler. 

20221030_123919.jpg

20221005_143837.jpg

• Like 2

Indoor palms get out of hand real quick and I find them a bit too much work watering etc.

I'm finding it so much easier to just have em outside and am fortunate that I can. My baroniis probably wont make it in the long term outside, and arent up to much but everything else seems fine. I laugh now when I remember having 150 tiny chatham island nikau palm seedlings  on a shelf under grow lights. Good learning experience though and fun at the time 😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

Indoor palms get out of hand real quick and I find them a bit too much work watering etc.

I'm finding it so much easier to just have em outside and am fortunate that I can. My baroniis probably wont make it in the long term outside, and arent up to much but everything else seems fine. I laugh now when I remember having 150 tiny chatham island nikau palm seedlings  on a shelf under grow lights. Good learning experience though and fun at the time 😁

It’s so cool on a cold day with sun pouring in through that window to hangout in that room, but you’re absolutely right, watering is the main problem. Can’t wait until I have a greenhouse built and then can just water with a hose like outside. Last year it was transferring plants into big Tupperware bins and watering, I’ve got more water saucers this year and going to try and move stuff outside and give a good soak once a month or so. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Jesse PNW said:

@Philly J what happened to that (appears to be) Wodyetia in the middle?

Sun scorch back in May due to lazy poor acclimation.  The previous spring I didn’t lose a single frond and was careful with acclimating and this year I put them out one morning went to work and came back in the afternoon to no damage.  That’s because It took overnight, and in the morning I walked outside to a blood bath 😵.  I lost 4/6 fronds, and with little leaflet surface left for photosynthesis the summer was pretty much slow and wasted.  With most of my collection, not just the Wodyetia.  Will never ever make a lazy mistake like that again.  Here it was in my office at work last winter looking like a champ.  🥺 now we are down to a spear and two shitty looking fronds.

656562C0-A0D1-4CAE-828D-0E4E185B3BE7.jpeg

• Like 1

I burn fronds every summer when my palms migrate outdoors.  I always think they're in a sheltered-enough location.  Nope. 

• Like 1

This was last year. Moved some in the Heated Garage this Year like the Foxtail due to it's Height and planted some other stuff outside that is comfortable it's Protection.

Sadly the lighting in this Picture is bad.

image.thumb.jpeg.538da2d3eb666f55c2dbe366a00bdeae.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Welp, brought lots of stuff inside since it's cold. Pardon the mess in front of the Mangave - one of my employees got matching socks for me and Sancho and they don't fit either of us so they just kind of ended up there. Brought my 3  good looking A Tuckerii inside and left the bad looking ones basically outside to die. 25 potted plants currently inside my tiny ghetto apartment  

IMG_20221215_091948.jpg

IMG_20221215_092004.jpg

IMG_20221215_092144.jpg

IMG_20221215_092300.jpg

IMG_20221215_092351.jpg

IMG_20221215_092418.jpg

IMG_20221215_092515.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1