IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dates in Charlotte NC?

BigBilly

4 hours ago, BigBilly said:

I was wondering if charlotte has any dates . Maybe downtown , lake Norman or Lake Wylie. 

There are a couple sylvestris on Lake Wylie. You can see them at the 3:20 mark in this video:

The guy who runs this channel also has some canary islands in his Charlotte yard. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NCFM said:

There are a couple sylvestris on Lake Wylie. You can see them at the 3:20 mark in this video:

The guy who runs this channel also has some canary islands in his Charlotte yard. 

I wonder what could be on Lake Norman there should be a favorable microclimate . image.png.74c0ae88ae8db6fcb5975e176c253916.png

It would be interesting to see temperature data from the SE edge of Lake Norman.

CLT proper suffers like ATL from ice storms every few years. Along this section of I85, even jelly palms are a challenge, long-term.

You certainly see some along lake Murray. Charlotte is about double our elevation of roughly ~360’ , not sure what lake Norman is…  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SeanK said:

It would be interesting to see temperature data from the SE edge of Lake Norman.

CLT proper suffers like ATL from ice storms every few years. Along this section of I85, even jelly palms are a challenge, long-term.

I normally hop on Weather Underground , Looks like southern lake Norman hasn't had a freeze yet , Where I am it hit 29F.image.thumb.png.bf07584a3e06515f5db0451e4ac9d342.png

• Like 1

Wow Phoenix In charlotte? They must be protected substantially during winter…. Right? I’m questioning my own efforts to find a Phoenix or Phoenix hybrid that has a long term chance at my place PNW 8b/9a, but that gives me hope. 

3 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Wow Phoenix In charlotte? They must be protected substantially during winter…. Right? I’m questioning my own efforts to find a Phoenix or Phoenix hybrid that has a long term chance at my place PNW 8b/9a, but that gives me hope. 

I believe they aren’t protected.  I’m going to have to check up on them next time I’m on the lake after the winter.  There well established been there for awhile

14 hours ago, BigBilly said:

I wonder what could be on Lake Norman there should be a favorable microclimate . image.png.74c0ae88ae8db6fcb5975e176c253916.png

Last time I was on Lake Norman which was last year.  All I mostly saw was sabals and windmills mind you the lake is huge so there’s a big possibility I missed some but from what I’ve seen lake Wylie has more of a variety of palms than lake Norman. 

They definitely aren’t protected around me, granted lake Murray is about 60% bigger and at 360’ compared to lake Norman at 760’. 

my camp in Maine is right on the water and only recently had a frost. My folks and my house near lake Murray haven’t had one yet either. My rental probably 5 miles from the lake as the crow flies has had a light frost at 35* …. YMMV 😏

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phassett said:

Last time I was on Lake Norman which was last year.  All I mostly saw was sabals and windmills mind you the lake is huge so there’s a big possibility I missed some but from what I’ve seen lake Wylie has more of a variety of palms than lake Norman. 

If that's true that'd be so strange, There has to be more types of palm hidden around Lake Norman.

13 hours ago, RJ said:

They definitely aren’t protected around me, granted lake Murray is about 60% bigger and at 360’ compared to lake Norman at 760’. 

my camp in Maine is right on the water and only recently had a frost. My folks and my house near lake Murray haven’t had one yet either. My rental probably 5 miles from the lake as the crow flies has had a light frost at 35* …. YMMV 😏

I haven’t looked this data up personally but I wouldn’t  be surprised if Lake Murray is 5 degrees or warmer in temperature than Norman especially during the winter months

20 hours ago, BigBilly said:

I normally hop on Weather Underground , Looks like southern lake Norman hasn't had a freeze yet , Where I am it hit 29F.image.thumb.png.bf07584a3e06515f5db0451e4ac9d342.png

I like WeatherUnderground for info on temps at RDU. But every time I try and look up weather data for my house and select the nearest weather station, it automatically goes back to RDU when I try to look at historical info. I hate that. RDU is outside of the city, surrounded by a state park and very low density development. So I can't believe its fully accurate for intown areas. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...