IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC'S NOVEMBER 19, 2022 MEETING IN ENCINITAS/OCEANSIDE

DoomsDave

Dear Palm Lovers:

We are extremely pleased to announce that we will be having our November 19, 2022 gathering at two gardens in northern San Diego county, one in Encinitas, and the other in Oceanside.

Garden No. 1: The first garden will be at the home of Tracy & Dana Strahl at 1723 Eucalyptus Ave, Encinitas, CA 92024.  The garden in the coastal Leucadia portion of Encinitas was started in 2010.  While this is an older neighborhood, the quarter acre lot was stripped nearly bare of plantings after they purchased the home to make room for Tracy’s container collection of Palms and Cycads he accumulated after running out of space to plant in their prior home in Carlsbad.   Palms include many Dypsis (now Chrysalidocarpus), Pritchardia, New Caledonia species and a smattering of Caribbean palms.  Tracy’s love of Cycads and Aloes as companion plants is apparent as one approaches the corner lot, including a large Aloidendron “Hercules” in the front planter.   The tallest palms were planted shortly after they bought the home in 2010 while other portions of the garden weren’t planted until after a remodel of the house completed in 2014. Tracy’s personal highlights wouldn’t necessarily be the largest palms, such as the trunking and flowering pair of Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus, but possibly the smaller Pritchardia flynnii, Chrysalidocarpus basilongus and Pseudophoenix sargentii, or even more likely one of the many Cycads.

Garden No. 2: The second garden is at the home of Mark McGuiness, 1601 Griffin Street, Oceanside, CA 92054. This garden is in the coastal-most section of Oceanside, west of the I-5 freeway. Mark started planting the garden in 2000, and the collection has grown from there, to a total of more than 160 species, in an average sized city lot. There is an abundance of treasures here: Benetickia condapanna; Chambeyronea macrocarpa, houailou, plus Chambeyronea (nee Cyphohoenix) elegans and nucele, plus four former Burretiokentias, and (Actinokentia) divaricata, five species of Ravenea, four species of Sabal, Thrinax, Cocothrinax and even a giant Caryota urens. You gotta see to believe, so come and see!

POTLUCK LUNCH

We'll be having a potluck lunch with chicken provided. Bring your favorite dish to share; meat, vegetables, dessert, or any combination all greatly appreciated. Make it yourself, or buy and bring it - if you like it, we will too! If it's grandma's favorite recipe, so much the better. We don't care if your grandma was from Marsailles, Mumbai or Manchester. Come feast on food, and the joint joys of palms and good fellowship on a glorious autumn day.  

AUCTION

There will be an auction at this meeting. Donors have a choice of donating 100% of the proceeds to the PSSC (we appreciate that!) or 50% (we appreciate that, too!) The focus is on rare palms, in 1 to 5 gallon containers, though larger ones will be accepted. Also good are nice palm-themed objects d'art, and other exotic plants, including but not limited to, bromeliads, fancy Ficus, etc. We accept credit cards, checks, and good old cash, though, due to expenses relating to credit card transactions, we greatly appreciate cash and checks, if possible.

As everyone is aware, the Covid 19 pandemic, and the forced closures of group events has hurt the PSSC's finances badly as the auction is a vital source of funding for the PSSC. The recent "re-start" auctions have helped a great deal, but more is needed; your participation by donating and buying will help immensely. If you have a question about a possible donation, contact Dave Bleistein at 323-481-5071 via text or email at urkurk2000@gmail.com

Since we have a limited time in which to conduct the auction, we ask that donors provide plants that will realistically sell for at least $20. Please no Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis, etc. We also appreciate liners and "freebie" plants as well for the plant raffle.

Thanks to all of our donors! 

ITINERARY:

9:30 AM: Board of Directors Meeting 
11 AM: General Members arrive at the Strahl residence and tour the garden.
12:15 PM: Depart the Strahl garden and go to the Mcginnis Garden. Bring your food item.
12:30 PM: Potluck lunch. Tables and chairs will be available
1:00 PM: Tour the McGinnis Garden
2:15PM: Begin General Meeting. Announcements, Auction and Raffle
4:00 PM: Meeting adjourns
  • Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:14 AM, DoomsDave said:

The first garden will be at the home of Tracy & Dana Strahl at 1723 Eucalyptus Ave, Encinitas, CA 92024.

Come take a look inside the garden on the 19th...

20221001-BH3I9060.jpg

20220929-BH3I9039.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

Come take a look inside the garden on the 19th...

20221001-BH3I9060.jpg

20220929-BH3I9039.jpg

Thanks for posting and hosting!

More pictures to whet appetites . . . . .

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Been to Tracy’s and Mark’s….everybody is in for a treat on the 19th. Highly recommended. See you there. 

-dale 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, DoomsDave said:

More pictures to whet appetites . . . . .

How about a Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus and an Encephalartos horridus producing two female cones?

20221107-BH3I9447.jpg

20221107-BH3I9448.jpg

• Like 4

Tracy was kind enough to give me a personal tour of his garden, and one of the words that kept jumping into my head was "texture". So many lovely contrasts of leaf type, trunks and shape. Here are a couple samples of what my camera caught...

image.jpeg.f4e37e64cb753638b33191a7c4573010.jpeg

image.jpeg.7d458f3c1bb245b78d14f38e6f3300b4.jpeg

He also has one of the best Cycad collections around. I'm personally not a huge cycad fan, but many were screaming for my attention, like this huge dude. Tried to write down the name, but stupid spell checker kept changing it. @Tracy - can you tell me that name one more time?

cycad.thumb.jpg.395cd91b44184ea0ff067163c22ddb10.jpg

He also has large mature specimins of some of my favorite palms. Too many to post here, but here's one of his Ravenea julietiae ("erupting" from the ground) and his OTHER Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus (formerly Dypsis prestoniana). Yes, he has multiples of many rare palms.  Crysalidocarpus, Coccothrinax & Pritchardia made up a lot of the collection, but there were a ton of other genus represented.

textures3.thumb.jpg.dd9b4067fc1ef28cfec8083b3d4764a4.jpg

textures4.thumb.jpg.3cd35fef60c489bcb4f48d290f15312b.jpg

As if that wasn't enough, he also has a nice collection of orchids and other tropical. Go if you can!

• Like 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

2 hours ago, iDesign said:

this huge dude. Tried to write down the name, but stupid spell checker kept changing it. @Tracy - can you tell me that name one more time?

cycad.thumb.jpg.395cd91b44184ea0ff067163c22ddb10.jpg

Thanks for the write up Stacey.  That is an Encephalartos laurentianus.  I believe this species has the longest leaves of any Cycad, but definitely can say the longest leaves in the African genus of Encephalartos.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Parking information for those coming to the first garden:   My house is on the corner of Eucalyptus Avenue and Ashbury Street; Ashbury Street is a narrow street posted  "No parking" on both sides.  While there is some parking on Eucalyptus Avenue, which is a "DEAD END" as opposed to suburbia's "Cul-de-sac", there is also abundant additional parking at the foot of Ashbury Street along Vulcan Avenue.  Yup, that's my house sporting the DEAD END sign out front, kinda hard to miss.

20221111-BH3I9458.jpg

20221111-BH3I9457.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Tracy was kind enough to give me a personal tour of his garden back in November, and I just got a tour of Mark's garden as well! Since this thread had no photos from Mark's place, I'm posting mine for anyone who wanted to see it (Mark's garden is near the bottom of page 1, though you should check out Bill's garden as well!)...

I sadly can't usually attend IPS weekend meetings (yet), so PLEASE take lots of photos/videos people who do go! I often live vicariously through them, though I'll find a way to get to an "official" meeting someday. 👍

• Like 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

On 8/5/2023 at 11:35 AM, iDesign said:

Tracy was kind enough to give me a personal tour of his garden back in November, and I just got a tour of Mark's garden as well! Since this thread had no photos from Mark's place, I'm posting mine for anyone who wanted to see it (Mark's garden is near the bottom of page 1, though you should check out Bill's garden as well!)...

I sadly can't usually attend IPS weekend meetings (yet), so PLEASE take lots of photos/videos people who do go! I often live vicariously through them, though I'll find a way to get to an "official" meeting someday. 👍

Looking forward to the day you can join us in person. Meantime, we'll do our best to make vicarious enjoyment as enjoyable as possible.

And, might as well get a shout in - we're heading to Sandy Ego AGAIN on September 23, 2023, write up to come, hoping for a stampede of attendees.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/11/2023 at 7:50 AM, DoomsDave said:

…..And, might as well get a shout in - we're heading to Sandy Ego AGAIN on September 23, 2023, write up to come, hoping for a stampede of attendees.

Oh yeah!!! I’m there. We’re gonna need a bunch of people. Mark your calendars everyone. 

Thanks for the teaser Dave. 

-dale