IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Coconut Group that survived the freeze in my city

idontknowhatnametuse

I was in the house of familiars of my dad today. I always remember that there were 2 coconut palms in a house near the place I went. one died but the other one remains healthy. Picture taken 20 minutes ago.

20221231_013400.thumb.jpg.648e7c51618236bb358b5eea53c1d643.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

I was in the house of familiars of my dad today. I always remember that there were 2 coconut palms in a house near the place I went. one died but the other one remains healthy. Picture taken 20 minutes ago.

Nice!!!  And this one is in Monterrey too?

John

10 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Nice!!!  And this one is in Monterrey too?

John

Yes

• Like 1

12 hours ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

Are the coconuts there fruiting?

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Are the coconuts there fruiting?

No, not yet. I asked people if the coconut ever fruited but they said it never fruited. They didn't even know it was a coconut palm.

• Like 1

No, not yet. I asked people if the coconut ever fruited but they said it never fruited. They didn't even know it was a coconut palm.

Good to know. The closest one we had flowering was the Mexicali Palm (R.I.P) but it seems the winters froze the flowers every time. 

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

5 hours ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

It may be too chilly for it to flower there.  Are there any that are fruiting in the Monterrey area?

John

Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

It may be too chilly for it to flower there.  Are there any that are fruiting in the Monterrey area?

John

Yes, they do fruit here and the fruit reaches maturity sometimes but at the time, most of the palms are still recovering and/or flowering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

Yes, they do fruit here and the fruit reaches maturity sometimes but at the time, most of the palms are still recovering and/or flowering.

Good to know.  Can you give me the normal high/low temp there in Farenheit for December and January?  Thanks.

John

6 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Good to know.  Can you give me the normal high/low temp there in Farenheit for December and January?  Thanks.

John

Average Temperatures in December and January

December:

High: 71F

Low: 50F

January (Just like december)

9 minutes ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

December:

Really?  So the averages stay the same for December and January?  Here, January is a little colder than December, but starts warming up again a little in February.

John

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Really?  So the averages stay the same for December and January?  Here, January is a little colder than December, but starts warming up again a little in February.

John

Yes

• Like 2

Now we're getting somewhere

• Like 2

December:

That gives an average temp of 60.5F, just within the magic minimum average temp zone of 60.0F for wintertime temps for a Coconut Palm to do alright and even fruit eventually.  So, no wonder there are some of the more cold hardy varieties growing to maturity there.

John

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

That gives an average temp of 60.5F, just within the magic minimum average temp zone of 60.0F for wintertime temps for a Coconut Palm to do alright and even fruit eventually.  So, no wonder there are some of the more cold hardy varieties growing to maturity there.

John

Also as you can see, it's pretty warm here right now. This is in celsius.

Screenshot_20230101-152436_Weather.thumb.jpg.cfb668cc40c527216b47538618a2ca54.jpg

Also as you can see, it's pretty warm here right now. This is in celsius.

Screenshot_20230101-152436_Weather.thumb.jpg.cfb668cc40c527216b47538618a2ca54.jpg

Wow, 89F???  That is really warm for January!!!  Those temps for the week, are certainly Coconut Palm growing wintertime temps!!!

John

• Upvote 2

similar story here in Lucknow. There are few coconut trees that don't fruit and local people insist they are not coconut trees. Temperatures here right now are between 7C at night and 20C in the day

20230101_172507.jpg

• Like 2

previously known as ego

On 1/2/2023 at 12:22 AM, ego said:

similar story here in Lucknow. There are few coconut trees that don't fruit and local people insist they are not coconut trees. Temperatures here right now are between 7C at night and 20C in the day

20230101_172507.jpg

I can't imagine why people from a coconut growing country would not recognize a Coconut Palm???  Strange.

John

My Panama Tall is starting to grow faster

20230103_220606.thumb.jpg.adae970f40a8fd584221565bc165465e.jpg

20230103_220620.thumb.jpg.538e6d92a6cc836170025369c382f27b.jpg

Nice looking.  Where did you get it from?

John

14 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Nice looking.  Where did you get it from?

John

I brought it from a huge abandoned mountain of sprouted coconuts in Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

I brought it from a huge abandoned mountain of sprouted coconuts in Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo.

Wow, I would love to see such a mountain!!!  I would be like a kid in a candy store, LOL!!!

John

9 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Wow, I would love to see such a mountain!!!  I would be like a kid in a candy store, LOL!!!

John

There were tons of germinated coconut palms of all sizes and varieties in that  "mountain". I grabbed that one because it had the most beautiful coloration out of all those.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

There were tons of germinated coconut palms of all sizes and varieties in that  "mountain". I grabbed that one because it had the most beautiful coloration out of all those.

Good choice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I can't imagine why people from a coconut growing country would not recognize a Coconut Palm???  Strange.

John

Uttar Pradesh is not a coconut growing place. Coconuts grow in southern India; in the north there might be some isolated trees and people don't know they are coconuts because they don't make fruits and because they always hear that coconuts grow in the south (Kerala, Tamil Nadu etc).

It's really cold here at nights now. Around 6 C. I am amazed at those speciments. Daytime temperatures are 15 C or so.

previously known as ego

3 hours ago, ego said:

Uttar Pradesh is not a coconut growing place. Coconuts grow in southern India; in the north there might be some isolated trees and people don't know they are coconuts because they don't make fruits and because they always hear that coconuts grow in the south (Kerala, Tamil Nadu etc).

It's really cold here at nights now. Around 6 C. I am amazed at those speciments. Daytime temperatures are 15 C or so.

Coastal Kerala has the most amazing West Coast Tall coconut palms. Some have 8m+ long leaves. Almost look like an Attalea :)

• Like 5

On 1/13/2023 at 8:24 PM, sarasota alex said:

Coastal Kerala has the most amazing West Coast Tall coconut palms. Some have 8m+ long leaves. Almost look like an Attalea :)

I am moving to southern Rajasthan next week; let's see if trees have coconuts there.

• Like 2

previously known as ego

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, ego said:

I am moving to southern Rajasthan next week; let's see if trees have coconuts there.

Any updates?

-8°C?! A coconut? That would be record breaking with any type of daytime warm up! But the trees themselves maybe didn't really get -8°C right? Was that measured at the weather station so outside of UHI? Still incredible!

• Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 2/12/2023 at 11:23 AM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Any updates?

Yes, in Udaipur some coconuts have fruit! Today I found one full of nuts but I couldn't grab them haha.

• Like 1

previously known as ego

11 hours ago, ego said:

Yes, in Udaipur some coconuts have fruit! Today I found one full of nuts but I couldn't grab them haha.

Great!!!  What are the normal high/;ow temps there in December and January?

John

On 2/14/2023 at 8:11 AM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Great!!!  What are the normal high/;ow temps there in December and January?

John

December is not winter yet here. Proper winter here lasts about 3 weeks in January. Lows go down to 2C and some days the maximum is 8 or 9 C. This is the coldest it gets. After the 20th of January temperatures rise rapidly. Today for instance, the maximum was 32 C! I believe that coconuts suffer damage during those three weeks but they recover once the temperature rises. The winter is not long enough to kill them.

• Like 1

previously known as ego

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 8:54 AM, sarasota alex said:

Wow, Coconut Palms with leaves over 25 ft. long!!!  Amazing!!!

John

On 2/15/2023 at 10:38 AM, ego said:

December is not winter yet here. Proper winter here lasts about 3 weeks in January. Lows go down to 2C and some days the maximum is 8 or 9 C. This is the coldest it gets. After the 20th of January temperatures rise rapidly. Today for instance, the maximum was 32 C! I believe that coconuts suffer damage during those three weeks but they recover once the temperature rises. The winter is not long enough to kill them.

Sounds like a good climate.  But what are the normal high and low temps during the coldest month?

John

On 3/4/2023 at 6:50 AM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Sounds like a good climate.  But what are the normal high and low temps during the coldest month?

John

2-8 C would be a very cold day. There are some things I don't understand btw. We know coconuts require high humidity. In Rajasthan humidity during the hot season (March to June) can be less than 10%! How do they survive?

I left India btw. I carried two coconuts in my bag which were confiscated at the airport... 

previously known as ego

11 hours ago, ego said:

2-8 C would be a very cold day. There are some things I don't understand btw. We know coconuts require high humidity. In Rajasthan humidity during the hot season (March to June) can be less than 10%! How do they survive?

I left India btw. I carried two coconuts in my bag which were confiscated at the airport... 

Damn, that sucks that they were confiscated.  I wish there was some way to get sprouted Indian Talls, or at least good viable ripe Indian Tall nuts shipped to us in marginal climates for Coconut Palms in the U.S.

John

12 hours ago, ego said:

I was shocked to find out that they actually grow pretty well in dry arid climates like the coastline of the Arabian Peninsula, provided that they are given enough water.  I have a Facebook friend in Egypt who has several of them in pots in Cairo, and they appear to be doing great.  He plans on planting them in the ground in his yard when they are a little bigger.  He also has a neighbor with one that appears to be about 10 or 11 ft. tall in overall height in his yard.  They have a cool winter time climate, with highs in the upper 60'sF and lows in the low 50'sF as I recall, and though not ideal for a Coconut Palm, they can certainly handle that and snap out of any cold injury quickly this time of year when the temps really start warming up.  Plus, unlike here in my cool winter time climate, they don't ever get any freezes, only occasionally down into the 30'sF from what I understand.

John

8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I was shocked to find out that they actually grow pretty well in dry arid climates like the coastline of the Arabian Peninsula, provided that they are given enough water.  I have a Facebook friend in Egypt who has several of them in pots in Cairo, and they appear to be doing great.  He plans on planting them in the ground in his yard when they are a little bigger.  He also has a neighbor with one that appears to be about 10 or 11 ft. tall in overall height in his yard.  They have a cool winter time climate, with highs in the upper 60'sF and lows in the low 50'sF as I recall, and though not ideal for a Coconut Palm, they can certainly handle that and snap out of any cold injury quickly this time of year when the temps really start warming up.  Plus, unlike here in my cool winter time climate, they don't ever get any freezes, only occasionally down into the 30'sF from what I understand.

John

Cairo can be quite humid though, perhaps, being next to the river? The ones in Rajasthan are in the middle of a desert. From my small experience with plants I'd say humidity is the most overestimated factor. As long as plants are watered enough they don't seem to care much.

Here we don't get freeze either, lowest will be about 34 every year and that for a couple of nights. Difference is our winter is 4 month long, while in Rajasthan it's one month

• Like 1

previously known as ego