IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Little Bismarck that Could

GoatLockerGuns

This little Bismarckia nobilis survived Hurricane Ian at my dad's house in Cape Coral, Florida relatively unscathed, and in a cheap plastic pot!

image.thumb.jpeg.8faec483f4f2ec00678a675f1c39a8a8.jpeg

This is the scene less than 100 yards away:

image.thumb.jpeg.f79c60ecbccd9450429329aa24019dbc.jpeg

He got tossed around and knocked over, but was still kicking when the skies cleared.  I decided to bring him back to Texas with me:

image.thumb.jpeg.95c9085dc787ca985ecff74157277a05.jpeg

I thought the fronds looked really green on this guy.  I would have expected them to be more silver since he has been palmate for some time now.  Does anyone know if this is normal for a typical Bismarckia nobilis of this size, or is this looking more like the "Green Form" of the species?

image.thumb.jpeg.20bf4922c43a2bfaaf1d327a1ebd939e.jpeg

My dad's more mature planted Bismarckia nobilis survived the storm in good condition as well:

image.thumb.jpeg.4a53bf80ab035b5a77d1e7b3af6de786.jpeg

I saw a lot of Bismarckia nobilis and other tall palms that got knocked over, some even falling on roofs.  This Bismarckia nobilis across the street had its massive crown beat up pretty good.

image.thumb.jpeg.428a92dde44aad73a772dea5878f9c47.jpeg

• Like 5

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

3 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Does anyone know if this is normal for a typical Bismarckia nobilis of this size, or is this looking more like the "Green Form" of the species?

Hey Rich,

I think it's pretty normal - particularly for a silver Bismarck sourced from Florida.  You don't see a lot of purplish red color so it probably won't be as silver and, therefore, as cold hardy as it ages.  It'll still be silver but probably won't survive too long in SA if it's unprotected below 28° or so.  Not sure about the lows it could handle but it was considered a 10a palm 20 years ago when they started to really get popular in the landscape.  Joseph from Texas Cold Hardy Palms showed that the more silver types are much more cold tolerant.

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Fusca said:

I think it's pretty normal - particularly for a silver Bismarck sourced from Florida.

Hey Jon,

Actually, I grew this one from seed in San Antonio, and then brought it down to my dad's place in Cape Coral a couple of years ago.  He just left it in the back yard and didn't do anything with it.  I can't remember where I sourced the seed from to be honest.  I guess this is technically a homecoming then.   I don't plan on planting it at my property.  I will just keep it in a pot for as long as possible.  A big pot that is.

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

@GoatLockerGuns that looks reasonably purple-ish on the petioles and the base of the fans.  I'd guess once it doubles in size it'll start getting more silver.  I grew one from a 1g up to now 6' tall and it went through a stage where it was kinda off-white-olive-drab-purple all at the same time.  It's nice and silver now!

• Like 1