IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hawaii, October 2022: Post your photos and commentary here!

Kim

C. mananjarensis crownshaft still looking fresh 2 days after the visitors swarmed through:

4054D10C-E559-428A-AD45-FDF9C61F80D6.thumb.jpeg.cd39cdfc7700296ffb038e2c0dc0bfe6.jpeg

• Like 7

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

7 hours ago, Keith N Tampa (ex SoJax) said:

This is how I feel today.  This year’s biennial has been the best week I’ve had in years.  I don’t want it to be over. 

I’ll add palm more pics as I get organized.

FA1E5CBC-C200-4118-AB75-431BD7A3692F.jpeg

Even facing three more flights (after the two I have already taken), I am NOT complaining and do not regret a dollar spent for the lifetime memories.

Thanks so much for your post Keith about this week being one of the best weeks you have had in years.

I too will be happy to sign up for the next IPS adventure where I am hoping to greet so many new and old friends! 

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

I could not fit in all the gardens and people I wanted to see so clearly I need to return to HI after my introductory IPS trip.

Kim your garden always looks great in photos on PT for years but obviously from the photos just added it is even more amazing now!

And I missed meeting Bill Austin who has kindly been selling seeds on PT allowing me to add rare palms to try in PR. 

I really wanted to see Tim and Bob (and yes their gardens) but will have to hope they will let me visit on my HI part 2 trip…

Thanks to others posting as with travel time, jet lag and cleaning up after Hurricane Fiona it is likely to take a bit of time to sort my many many photos that I really want to add.

Safe travels to all those flying home today.

My forever thanks to all those in HIPS and the IPS Directors, bus drivers, Jeff Marcus and Suchin, all the garden employees and more who spent money and time to make all of us so very happy!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post. Amazing gardens.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

People were looking for Len... missed you, sir. Will post more pics as well. One of the best times in my short life, for sure.

Time to give some love and appreciation to the native genus; this is Pritchardia Lowreyana. Planted and thriving at the Moani-Lundkvist Garden, she is making a statement and seeds!

It was such a pleasure to visit this garden and the new owners, GET IT. Hawaii seems to be very good at converting people from the cold, anti-palm places! 

Resized_20221015_144227.jpeg

Resized_20221015_144219.jpeg

Resized_20221015_144205.jpeg

Resized_20221015_143928.jpeg

• Like 3

This proved to be a very rare palm, during the Biennial. I am sure Jeff Marcus has one, but this was the only Satranala declusiva I saw. This palm was at Bill Austin's and it looked surprisingly handsome, for what I was expecting. 

Resized_20221014_104029.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

This was another very rare palm that we all irrigated with salivation, for twice as long as any other palm. Clinosperma macrocarpa with it's captivating dark ramenta, is one not soon forgotten! 

Resized_20221014_113907.jpeg

Resized_20221014_113914(1).jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

This was another first for me-read all about it, but never in the flesh... Maxburretia furtadoana from limestone cliffs of peninsular Thailand. 

Resized_20221013_144349.jpeg

Resized_20221013_144337.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi,

I saved this thread for today's Friday night after two very busy weeks - Japan's government has launched a national travel campaign to stimulate tourism

and Okinawa as one of the warmer parts of this country is practically overrun by tourists - and I wasn't disappointed (how could I ;) ) ! 

What a great documentation and thank you all - especially Cindy - for providing so many spectacular photos, I enjoyed all of them!

With those great images in mind and two days off ahead I am sure I will get one or two ideas for my own garden... 😀

Lars