IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

South Bethany Beach Sabal Minors

GregVirginia7

Finally made it to the beach in Delaware so here are my Sabal Minors that I planted from one gallon containers, I think, about 7 or 8 years ago…no protection wonders since day one…

03D4E620-18EE-46D5-AEED-CBCA961A3060.thumb.jpeg.b8921a03e78083b9120adc80abe2a393.jpeg

This one is well protected by a shed and outdoor shower enclosure facing south…maybe too big for the space but seems to grow slow enough not to matter much…

37CADBDC-DC7B-4800-AC2E-70842D8CBF51.thumb.jpeg.3a44a49d484b180274101cc42df3aa1a.jpeg

99AE4FDF-D832-4009-A192-A61607C3AB39.thumb.jpeg.40591409db249360b72fe3c8d1229556.jpeg

Also facing south, the one by the canal is doing great as well…although the new frond emerging is yellow with green margins…guess that’s normal? and I do like the coloration but I think I may need to run to the garden center to get a fall/winter supplement…anyone know about this? Between the two, I cut off 6 six foot flower spikes loaded with seed so they can divert energy to the palm itself for winter…the three Sabal Minors growing at my house in NOVA are the progeny of these two…right now, they are just strap leaf babies in ground for their third year, no protection at all…a great zone 7 palm for us marginal folk…

• Like 6

Nice looking palms

Probably not relevant.....I've noticed faded fronds on my  palms that are garage kept during the winter...so possibly shock from low light.

It could be anything, I would water it, like a madman and give it a few sprinkle of fertilizer. 🖐️