IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Preventing Palms from Going Dormant

jruffd13

Good Afternoon Everyone, my name is David and I am the proud founder and owner of District and Piedmont Palms.  On 10/3/2022 I took my Washingtonia Robustas, Traphycarus Fortuneis, and Christmas Palm tree seedlings inside because we had a little bit of early freezing rain her in DC.  I have put them on a shelve in our guestroom and I put grow lights over them and they are also next to the window.  I turn on grow lights on for an hour when I wake up in the morning 5:40-7:40am (then I shut them off when I got to work because I am scared of fire and the dogs).  After work they receive growlight light from 4:00-10:00 (6 HOURS).  They are getting 7 hours of artificial light with growlight and 8 hours with weak winter window sunlight while I am at work.  Will the palm seedling go dormant?  I would like for them to grow during the winter-time.  Please let me know if there is anything that I am doing/not doing.  BTW I love this website!

Palms and growlights.jpg

• Like 1

I would keep the robusta and fortunei outside in the sunniest hottest spot you can find until night temps go under 32F.  Fertilize a tablespoon size with osmocote or similar and keep grow lights on them for 12 hours indoors.   Humidity indoors as high as possible as that is the enemy of indoor palms. Over 60 preferred.

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I've kept some of my palms under grow lights with no dark period over the winter.  I got two seasons worth of growth.  Keep in mind that my grow light is horticultural grade high lumens meant for growing weed indoors.  And I had the electricity bill to prove it.

Edited by Fallen Munk
Added content
  • Like 1

Hi David. I shared your concern about grow lights at first, too. Mine are probably on 16 hours a day or so during the work week. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the quick response!  You all are amazing.  Allen I will definently up the humidity and grow light time, I been using the jobs slow-release staffs for fertilizer.

Do you have any sunny windows? I have a few of those mini greenhouses that Ikea sells and I put some of my seedling in them.