IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane ian damage

Plantking165

Lots of damage all around. My coconut are shredded and leaning bad barley made it. Gonna need some recovery time to straighten out. I lost my rainbow eucalyptus that I've had for Years now it survived Irma but not this one snapped off 70% of its growth. I'm not happy to lose this tree it was one of my favs and meant alot to me. It was bushy and 50ft probably and colorful. How did yalls stuff make out?

20220929_082239.jpg

20220929_082252.jpg

20220929_082255.jpg

20220929_082258.jpg

20220929_082302.jpg

20220929_082243.jpg

• Like 2

Sucks to lose a favorite tree. I remember when I first saw one and thought I wanted one. I did some research and found that it did not have a good wind resistance rating so I passed on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Sucks to lose a favorite tree. I remember when I first saw one and thought I wanted one. I did some research and found that it did not have a good wind resistance rating so I passed on it.

Yeah I knew it didn't have good wind resistance but that didn't stop me from having one. My coconuts are damaged pretty bad, the red spicata is very lose and the fiji is leaning and it rasied it out by about 2 inches so it's planted high now... can't really fix that without digging it up and I don't wanna do that as we're gonna be in colder weather soon.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

Yeah I knew it didn't have good wind resistance but that didn't stop me from having one. My coconuts are damaged pretty bad, the red spicata is very lose and the fiji is leaning and it rasied it out by about 2 inches so it's planted high now... can't really fix that without digging it up and I don't wanna do that as we're gonna be in colder weather soon.

Just do your best to fill in and stake. That’s the problem with hurricane timing around here. No time to re grow before it gets cold.

I'd say if you still have a house be thankful.  Losing a tree while sad seems like a given in this storm.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Just do your best to fill in and stake. That’s the problem with hurricane timing around here. No time to re grow before it gets cold.

We cut a leaning tree it fell on my red spicata not good man hope everything recovers 

Man, I was just talking to family member today who's in Melbourne, Fla.,; we both have Rainbows, but only a few years old and about 20 feet -- Nowhere close to yours.   Positive thoughts -- I bet she comes back.. Good luck..!!

• Like 1

I feel your pain. We went through Ida last year. They need to just start skipping the I names 

agree with above try to count your blessings with your house etc

• Like 2

In Puerto Rico, rainbow eucalyptus nearly always break with hurricanes but then recover. 

I am betting your tree will recover.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair