IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Ian 09.28.2022

Barry

Evacuated to the SE but some news from my neighbors near downtown Fort Myers between McGregor and 41 (a few blocks from where @Barry mentioned he lives). Thank god we had no flooding, and the neighbors who stayed are safe with no major damage to our homes as far as I know. Catastrophic damage to my little backyard oasis however, the large liveoak totally collapsed and every other tree and plant shredded, all the precious shade gone. Still feeling very lucky today and totally heartbroken for the community, can't even imagine how the area is going to be able to recover from this. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here in NW Orlando the storm is almost completely gone.  We had a lot of heavy gusts, but not a lot in the way of sustained wind speed.  I lost a couple of shingles and have several leaks, but I think most of the roof damage was from a hailstorm with 1" hail and 50-75mph winds about a month ago.  I'm on generator and USB tethering my computer for internet.  Everything else is mostly undamaged, except for a tall B. Alfredii that fell over, and a big stand of Dendrocalamus Hamiltonii that toppled over and landed on a Miata...er...two Miatas.  There's a red one under there too.  I'm just waiting for the rain to clear out before I slice and dice to see if there's significant damage.

229381157_20220929_104413MiataBamboo.thumb.jpg.4c3edbeac411b15a64b0b76d48f670f3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Moose said:

I'm hours away. Finished all my cleanup by 10:30 this morning. Lot's of frond chopping 

So glad to hear you’re okay!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This drone video shows the scale of flooding from the storm surge and isn't even in the worst area. During some helicopter footage I was watching I believe they were told to leave that airspace by an Emergency Operations Center which may be the reason why there's very little coverage of the surge areas as rescue operations are ongoing and they don't want news crews, sightseers, and drones getting in the way.

Storm surge video

• Upvote 1

Here in Tampa the storm was uneventful, I didn’t even lose power. However, my properties down south caught the north end of the eye wall with winds around 100mph and got hit pretty hard. We had minimal building damage, but a lot of fence/yard damage. I haven’t seen anything from the other property yet.

I’m really just very thankful it wasn’t a direct hit. Technically the center of the eye was only about 30 miles south. Had it just come slightly further north it would have been a catastrophe. 

I didn’t see Meg post an update, but the peak wind gust in Cape Coral was 140mph so I hope she is okay.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, Jimbean said:

Man, you don’t want to be out in that.  One good hit from that sheet metal, or splintered wood and you die.  No way to get you to a trauma surgeon before you bleed out, during that.  

I wonder if these houses were up to modern hurricane code, with the roof strapping?  Some of these look like pre-Andrew buildings not up to code.   

https://www.news-press.com/story/news/2017/08/23/hurricane-andrew-25-years-later-memories-fade-florida-weakens-building-codes/593029001/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimbean said:

😖

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Some of these look like pre-Andrew buildings not up to code.   

Those are mobile homes, there are also a lot of "double wide" which are modular homes built by connecting two half houses that are each the size of a single mobile home. Dunno why mobile homes are even allowed in hurricane prone areas. To make them worse,  poor quality repairs get done over time. Also many of the owners get "additions" built on or add screened in enclosures, car ports, etc. that barely hold up to a strong wind during thunderstorms never mind a hurricane.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Royal Palooza! Ft Myers. Yellow Fronds you can see for miles when you blow up image. This wasnt even close to strongest wind at coast. Followed Charley, just bigger... and the strongest sustained winds from the NWS never materialized over land. Punta had 126 Gust before going out, Port Charlotte probably had strongest winds inland.

royals.jpg

You have to remember that a lot of weather stations were destroyed, along with the collected data. Based on videos from storm chasers and their account of the storm, this definitely had winds over 150 mph whether it was officially recorded or not. 

In other news, the Sanibel Island mayor said storm surge over the island was likely in the 8-15 ft range. The Sanibel Island Causeway was destroyed, quite possibly permanently as a section of the island near the bridge was completely washed away. Significant damage all over Fort Myers Beach, where at least 60% of the Fort Myers Beach Times Square was destroyed. I do not know the condition of the Royal Beach Club, there have been no drone videos over that way. But, a lot of the island had significant damage.

• Upvote 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

3 minutes ago, JLM said:

You have to remember that a lot of weather stations were destroyed, along with the collected data. Based on videos from storm chasers and their account of the storm, this definitely had winds over 150 mph whether it was officially recorded or not. 

In other news, the Sanibel Island mayor said storm surge over the island was likely in the 8-15 ft range. The Sanibel Island Causeway was destroyed, quite possibly permanently as a section of the island near the bridge was completely washed away. Significant damage all over Fort Myers Beach, where at least 60% of the Fort Myers Beach Times Square was destroyed. I do not know the condition of the Royal Beach Club, there have been no drone videos over that way. But, a lot of the island had significant damage.

I am a meteorologist... That focuses on Hurricane Forecasting. So no need to tell me what you see on TV. It was BAD, Ill just leave it at that out of respect for anyone going through it.

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

4 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I am a meteorologist... That focuses on Hurricane Forecasting. So no need to tell me what you see on TV. It was BAD, Ill just leave it at that out of respect for anyone going through it.

Well good, if you are a met then you know how important ground truth is. 4 people confirmed dead unfortunately, hopefully it goes no higher. Prayers for anyone affected!

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Hope everyone in Florida stays safe. The jet stream is going to bring us some very windy weather from Ian. Worst effected areas will be Scotland and the Isle of Wight.

Screenshot_20220930-031924040 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220930-031950048 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220930-032202631 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220930-032426619 (1).jpg

6 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Here in Tampa the storm was uneventful, I didn’t even lose power. However, my properties down south caught the north end of the eye wall with winds around 100mph and got hit pretty hard. We had minimal building damage, but a lot of fence/yard damage. I haven’t seen anything from the other property yet.

I’m really just very thankful it wasn’t a direct hit. Technically the center of the eye was only about 30 miles south. Had it just come slightly further north it would have been a catastrophe. 

I didn’t see Meg post an update, but the peak wind gust in Cape Coral was 140mph so I hope she is okay.

I hope she is okay as well, some say it was worse than Charley but others say it wasnt. One big difference is that Charley's core was TINY compared to Ian's. Charley's harsh winds were confined to a relatively small swath from the coast into inland portions of the Peninsula. Ian was a much larger storm, harsh winds were spread over a much larger area. And since a quick eyewall replacement cycle had occurred not long before landfall, the wind field was expanding which only made things worse.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JLM said:

I hope she is okay as well, some say it was worse than Charley but others say it wasnt. One big difference is that Charley's core was TINY compared to Ian's. Charley's harsh winds were confined to a relatively small swath from the coast into inland portions of the Peninsula. Ian was a much larger storm, harsh winds were spread over a much larger area. And since a quick eyewall replacement cycle had occurred not long before landfall, the wind field was expanding which only made things worse.

Are you a weather nerd or going to school for it? I dont know your age.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Just now, Collectorpalms said:

Are you a weather nerd or going to school for it? I dont know your age.

Age 16 in high school, weather nerd i guess you could say. Why does it matter?

My birth date is in my profile as well.

11 minutes ago, JLM said:

Age 16 in high school, weather nerd i guess you could say. Why does it matter?

All my life everyone has acted like they are a meteorologist. So I was curious. So I just dont even mention it anymore what I do.

Just got a report from my Grandfather who has a condo in Fort Myers Beach. 9’ of storm surge water at his condo, flooded the garage and destroyed all the cars in it. Lobby doors and all the furniture is gone. Electronics and backup generator are destroyed. Most boats in the harbour floated away… a few deposited on the boardwalk upside down behind the condo. Most landscaping destroyed (there were some beautiful large Bismarck palms). He was talking to the property manager who lives in FMB when he house collapsed (he’s OK). Looks like I won’t be visiting anytime soon unfortunately. Hope everyone is ok and can pick up the pieces. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

1 minute ago, Collectorpalms said:

All my life everyone has acted like they are a meteorologist. So I was curious. So I just dont even mention it anymore what I do.

Weather is very interesting for a lot of people, i can see why people do that. I do not claim to be a meteorologist, never have and never will until i am one day. I just like to share useful information and have educational discussions. I have had an interest in weather since i was 2 years old, caused by an EF3 tornado that passed less than a mile from me, among many other things that peaked my interest. I met a local meteorologist in Nashville TN at a news station and he pointed me to all the NOAA sites. Once we moved to Florida in 2017, my interest has taken off. Tropical Storm Cindy 2017 really got me going on the tropical weather side. Its just so fascinating to me how it all works. I respect you and everyone else here, i mean no hostility towards anyone. Its good to have meteorologists in these types of discussions.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Just got a report from my Grandfather who has a condo in Fort Myers Beach. 9’ of storm surge water at his condo, flooded the garage and destroyed all the cars in it. Lobby doors and all the furniture is gone. Electronics and backup generator are destroyed. Most boats in the harbour floated away… a few deposited on the boardwalk upside down behind the condo. Most landscaping destroyed (there were some beautiful large Bismarck palms). He was talking to the property manager who lives in FMB when he house collapsed (he’s OK). Looks like I won’t be visiting anytime soon unfortunately. Hope everyone is ok and can pick up the pieces. 

Glad to hear he is okay! It will be a long road to recovery down there.

• Like 2

VERY Curious how the Bismarkia did in Florida? I feared not good out of all the palms.

31 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

VERY Curious how the Bismarkia did in Florida? I feared not good out of all the palms.

It will be interesting to get survey info on how various palm species faired with this storm.   Tons of palms flopping everywhere.  It’s always interesting to get the stats on how various species hold up.  Champions are usually Sabals and Pygmy Dates.  Queens normally flop.  I’m always curious how the rarer stuff holds up.   

https://pamela-crawford.com/wind-tolerance-trees-palm-beach-landscape/

@JLM growing up as a little kid, one of my friends next door was a real weather nerd… for as long as I can remember.  (Measuring rain, checking the levels of the river near our house as a child).  He now works as a meteorologist at the NWS.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

If they said most of the landscaping gone, I’d imagine mostly only the coconuts, royals, and Sabals survived the carnage as they are used to it. I’d imagine these big beauties are part of the casualty list by the sounds of it. 

1FBC7FCD-05EE-4425-875D-92665FD4DE96.png

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

My heart goes out to all of those affected by this horrible storm. 

No more hurricane guesstimations from me.

What you look for is what is looking

10 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

In my area it was up to around Cat1 gusts, but not a lot of sustained winds or anything even close to 100mph.  3 Bismarcks did okay, a few tattered fronds but nothing significant.  My 5 Alfredii in the 12 to 20ft tall range are all leaning but ok.  For the NW Orlando area this was much less windy than the past 6 or 7 storms that came through, including the 2004 series.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

In my area it was up to around Cat1 gusts, but not a lot of sustained winds or anything even close to 100mph.  3 Bismarcks did okay, a few tattered fronds but nothing significant.  My 5 Alfredii in the 12 to 20ft tall range are all leaning but ok.  For the NW Orlando area this was much less windy than the past 6 or 7 storms that came through, including the 2004 series.

Afredii’s hurricane tolerance is something I’ve always been curious about, and the species is currently untested, due to its newness and relative rareness.  I’ve always feared that due to its giant canopy, and wobbly nature during youth, it might be not-so-great.  Time will tell, I guess. 

I am saddened to hear about all the damage and loss of life Ian has continued to cause.

Ongoing cleanup and no electricity but Fiona was only a Category one at my place.

I hope we will hear from Meg in Cape Coral soon.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

51 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

I am saddened to hear about all the damage and loss of life Ian has continued to cause after visiting Puerto Rico. 

Ongoing cleanup and no electricity but only a Category one at my place.

I hope we will hear from Meg in Cape Coral soon.

She said she was the highest spot at 15Ft. I know there was storm surge in Cape Coral but not 15Ft. So I hope the house was built well, and she is ok and just without power.
The palms can be replaced, but a long term hell to get back to normalcy.

Media and us on mainland shouldn’t forget about Puerto Rico, and how difficult it can be there.  

• Like 2

It’s a really bad situation in Lee County right now. Apart from the destruction, they have no power or water right now. 700k people with no water. Its difficult to comprehend how much assistance is needed there right now. I may go down this weekend with supplies from Tampa.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

No water is rough!

I did three months without water post María so thought only less than a week without water after Fiona was nothing!

I am certainly concerned about FL and hope recovery goes quickly.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Expecting PamatierMeg is without power, but I hope she has a roof. Please check in when you can!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone,

we survived the storm, us and the house are fine. The yard is destroyed, we have started cleanup. We did not get the eye at my location, just on the edge of the eye wall. We just got power back last night. Luckily FPL put our power lines underground last year, a big help. It was 10 days for Irma with no power. We got no storm surge here. Thank goodness, it is bad. Naples, Bonita, and Ft Myers Beach got horrible surge. I have not seen many pictures, phone service has been spotty. Just last night when we could start getting access. Our internet is still down at home. In Cape Coral, 100% power outage and no water. We have water but low pressure. Below are some videos from during the storm and some pictures afterwards. Our yard is a mess, but that is nothing compared to what people had to live thru. We were very blessed! It is going to be a long road to recovery. Hopefully Meg is okay in the cape? And hopefully the Glocks are good? I have friends that lost everything from the surge, so I can’t complain about my yard damage, even thou it is tough to see again. It is worse than Irma. Please everyone be safe and if I can help any locals, please feel free to reach out to me.

I guess I will have to post pictures later, they have not updated to my iPad from phone. I will post as soon as I can. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 9/29/2022 at 10:23 PM, JLM said:

Well good, if you are a met then you know how important ground truth is. 4 people confirmed dead unfortunately, hopefully it goes no higher. Prayers for anyone affected!

The death toll will be an arbitrary number. After going through Andrew, we learned how the number is suppressed. Sorry, but if no one comes looking for you, your body wasn't counted. Grim but it's reality

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

If anyone has Meg’s address, please message me. I can try to get out there and see if they are ok. Also saw some of the news this morning, Matlacha is wiped out, Bert’s bar was there for 100 years, completely gone! Pine Island road is devastated, no access to Pine Island. Hopefully Shelby and her family @ Premire Growers survived? They were on the south end of Pine Island, Bokeelia. 

• Upvote 1

Meg will be unhappy to hear that the Royal Beach Club was basically washed away. Heres comparison satellite imagery.

Before:
image.png.c7d5feb78c2c41c50cbc1f10caaef805.png

After:
image.png.864346c8333d8a3a7bd21e9f0163f703.png

Hopefully someone can get into contact with her sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

The Washington Post had a good illustrative article with maps of storm damaged areas. Including Cape Coral. Meg said she was uphill 15ft above so I’m picturing her in the area not shown in blue. Looks like a good part of Cape Coral might fall in that area. Wind damage would be the biggest concern followed by water intrusion from damaged roofs, windows etc. Hope her roof integrity held up and they are doing okay. I know she’s posted about palms in the past being diseased and needing to be removed and likely now more but small potatoes IMO to house damage.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/09/30/hurricane-ian-damage-photos-videos/

Very sad to see photos/videos of the extent of damage and hear about the growing loss of life. Trying to house all those displaced as well as accounting for their lost or damaged businesses/employment is going to be monumental for Florida. I can’t help but wonder if people’s insurance coverage won’t be able to pay out as the company goes under from the extensive claims. I know Florida already has a homeowner insurance coverage problem and insurance companies are leaving the State. Our niece recently was talking to us about buying something on the east coast there and given projections for rising sea levels and tidal flooding in some cities now I thought she should look elsewhere. Rent, okay, but I’d be hard pressed to own. The damage from Ian may change her mind.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

7 hours ago, Barry said:

If anyone has Meg’s address, please message me. I can try to get out there and see if they are ok. Also saw some of the news this morning, Matlacha is wiped out, Bert’s bar was there for 100 years, completely gone! Pine Island road is devastated, no access to Pine Island. Hopefully Shelby and her family @ Premire Growers survived? They were on the south end of Pine Island, Bokeelia. 

Corey (Premier Growers) managed to post on Facebook the night of the storm from the nursery, I believe they are safe but the damage looked to be pretty major and of course the road being out is devastating.

I did a wellness check on a friend of a friend in SE Cape Coral earlier today. They were quite close to the river and had waist deep water in their street but most of the houses sit on mounded earth so it didn't get as high as that inside. Wind damage is worse than fort Myers, many utilities poles down and wires across roads, trees including palms on cars, shingles missing from most houses. No power or cell service in the city at all but the people I talked to did have some running water which is good. I hope we hear from Meg soon but the part of Cape Coral I saw was battered but did not seem to have the devastating surge damage seen right on the coast.

Here in Fort Myers we are very lucky to have no damage on our house, but the backyard is absolutely destroyed, possibly by a mini tornado that lifted up the shed and deposited pieces of it on the other side of an mostly intact row of Dypsis lutescens. @Barry pm if you need help or anything else I am nearby. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1