IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Ian 09.28.2022

Barry

Starting a thread for Hurricane Ian. Getting windy, water is still soaking in for now.. Much larger and stronger than Charlie! I think we will be in the eye wall and possibly the eye. The eye was 40 miles wide at 6 am this morning. Power has gone out, but come back for now. Not expecting it to stay on for much longer. Short video out the front door, just a few minutes ago. Prepared the safe room just in case.

7E8E8F6E-FFB4-4872-A128-35CDDD5D7CCD.jpeg

F1EB5B89-54D2-47DB-AA49-2BDA0BB6FAB7.jpeg

7B8B36F2-0B48-4F85-B7FD-4CB775A5E24B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Weather Service issued a seldom used “Extreme Wind Warning” for Cape Coral and barrier islands from Boca Grande down through Sanibel. Winds outside are really howling. The eye is expected to pass over our house. We will almost surely lose power and no telling when it will come back. 

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Oops! Royal frond broke off the palm in the east side lot and was blown onto our Subaru Cross Trek in the driveway. Probably not the last one either. It’s a reminder that royals and many other palms adapted to strong winds and will “release” fronds to reduce stress on the palm. So they are far less likely, in fact unlikely, to shatter, fall or uproot than dicot trees. I expect my husband’s flowering tropical trees to be destroyed or catastrophically damaged just as they were by Irma. Palms are far more resilient than true trees and more people need to learn that before they trash them as landscaping choices.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Update: Our security cameras show (rain) flooding in the Garden Lot. The back lanai is calm and unfazed by the howling wind. That’s because of Sabal Row on the east side and the back yard jungle on the south side. Planting oodles (technical term) of palms around your house helps block storm winds. People who disparage palms should reconsider their use in landscaping in places palms can survive.

• Like 8

Meg

Florida

The eye wall of Ian is fixing to come ashore here in 30-45 minutes. Wind gust on the southwest corner of the eye wall just clocked at 179 mph(!). With counter clockwise rotation we should see that corner very soon. Naples, FL just clocked its highest storm surge ever: 5’ and rising.  Rising sea at Ft. Myers Beach just washed away a chickee  hut/cabana outside a resort and washed out the pool at the Pink Shell I’m beginning not wonder if our timeshare at the Royal Beach Club will survive. It’s on stilts but still……

Just heard the rattle of more palm fronds bouncing off the roof. BTW, after Charley we invested in a metal roof, an investment I recommend to everyone in hurricane country.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

Praying for you Meg and everyone else in the path. Yes looks worse than Irma, my last experience with a hurricane. Looks like my old palm collection in the Cape will get thrashed again. We are actually in the cone of Ian here in Eastern Tennessee where I hope we get some rain as it has been very dry here. Take care Meg.

• Like 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

13 minutes ago, Moose said:

Meg - aren't you concerned about storm surge coming up the canal?

Yeah, what about those canals everywhere? Don't they overflow and wash gators on your lap? Every time I see pics of canals in residential areas I think flood hazard. 

Edited by HiwaKika

Concerned for all our Fla members in harms way and Meg sounds like you might be home and not viewing footage on security from some remote location if hearing fronds hitting roof? Just watched morning weather report and Ian truly sounds like a monster. The storm surge forecast is maybe more frightening than the winds and remember a past hurricane where people were trapped in high flood waters. I have a relative with home at coast (with dock) near Tampa and other relatives on east coast, one in Jacksonville which might be in eye as it passes northward. Hope everyone remains safe and best of luck getting through this. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

15 minutes ago, Moose said:

Meg - aren't you concerned about storm surge coming up the canal?

My canal is freshwater and my house is probably 7-8’ above the canal. It has flooded over the sea wall and partway up the steps but never got close to the house. It is possible that if storm surge were to rise high enough it would overtop the weirs separating freshwater and seawater canals but to my knowledge that has never happened. Even if it did the water would have to climb 6-7’ more to reach the house. I’m not worried about that yet.

@HiwaKika, a lot of canals, true, but more dry lots. People who invest in expensive saltwater canal homes are expected to know the risk and they pay through the nose for flood insurance unless they are totally stupid. The freshwater canal system, i.e., poor man’s waterfront, is totally separate from the saltwater and the two systems are separated by a system of raised weirs so they don’t mingle. In rainy season a lot or rain will raise the water level over the dock but the excess water drains out over the weirs. The freshwater canals can house alligators but most are too small to be hazards. I’ve seen gators as large as 7’ but they always move on. It is illegal to feed them and I’m glad most of my neighbors and I obey it.

By contrast, I could ask someone who lives in So Cal if he didn’t fear mountain lions might come into his neighborhood. Stupid question? By no means. It might even be true. And FL is also home to coyotes and invaded by iguanas, monitor lizards and pythons. I still live here.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

I’m watching a local Fox news streaming channel here in Calif and they mentioned their Fox Weather streaming channel would have continuous live coverage from Florida. Reporter now is 20 miles from Ft Myers. 

• Upvote 1

Ian’s eye wall is scheduled to cross into Cape Coral at 1:09 p.m. (2 minutes from now). Right now Pine Island is being slammed on live videos. Fort Myers Beach too - I fear even more for Royal Beach Club. Pine Island Sound looks like the North Sea in winter.

Lights flickering, stuff bouncing all over the roof. I think the eye wall is here. 

• Like 3

Meg

Florida

4 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

I’m watching a local Fox news streaming channel here in Calif and they mentioned their Fox Weather streaming channel would have continuous live coverage from Florida. Reporter now is 20 miles from Ft Myers. 

Tell him/her to come on down for an experience he/she will never forget. Local TV stations have reporters all over the place. The eye is coming ashore over Pine Island hopefully headed our way. I could use a de-stress break before the second half.

• Like 3

Meg

Florida

Reporting on Fox Weather streaming is from Tampa now. Showing Tampa Bay with a Negative 6 ft level. They just showed footage of two teens who jumped down in to the dry bay area to explore and their legs were stuck in mud struggling to get out. Pointing out how dangerous this is as no idea when sucked out water will be flooding back in. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Concerned for all our Fla members in harms way and Meg sounds like you might be home and not viewing footage on security from some remote location if hearing fronds hitting roof? Just watched morning weather report and Ian truly sounds like a monster. The storm surge forecast is maybe more frightening than the winds and remember a past hurricane where people were trapped in high flood waters. I have a relative with home at coast (with dock) near Tampa and other relatives on east coast, one in Jacksonville which might be in eye as it passes northward. Hope everyone remains safe and best of luck getting through this. 

I am at home. The security cameras are ours. We decided where we live in central Cape Coral that if we end up in peril the whole city is doomed. We got through Charley, Wilma, Irma so we can get through Ian. One thing to remember is that if you run, you may not be allowed to return for many weeks. Sounds reckless but we have thought through our options over the years and make considered decisions then follow through on our plans. And we don’t figure to cry to local authorities for aid. All the morons who stayed on Ft. Myers Beach are now crying for help on 911 even though they were warned for 3 days no emergency services will be able to respond to their pleas.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

Fort Myers Beach is awash with seawater. Cars are flooded and boats floating around.

But wait! The Lee County Sheriff’s Dept office trailer stationed at Lynn Hall Park by Times Square just floated by the Margaritaville resort construction!

Sanibel Island is in the eye. Ft. Myers Beach soon will be.  Then Pine Island, next Cape Coral.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Weather Service issued a seldom used “Extreme Wind Warning” for Cape Coral and barrier islands from Boca Grande down through Sanibel. Winds outside are really howling. The eye is expected to pass over our house. We will almost surely lose power and no telling when it will come back. 

3 minutes ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Holy hell check this hurricane live stream. These guys are right in the heart of it

Wow, damn. Praying for you all over there.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We know SO many palm peeps in Florida who are here or have been on PT over the years. Feeling concerned for everyone, especially those who might have to deal with the storm surge on top of the winds. Meg, you sound very prepared and calm, hope you won't lose power and can keep reporting.

• Like 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

So far it's been a nothing burger for Brevard, but the winds have been picking up in gradually.  Expecting stronger winds over night. 

• Like 2

Brevard County, Fl

Royal Palooza! Ft Myers. Yellow Fronds you can see for miles when you blow up image. This wasnt even close to strongest wind at coast. Followed Charley, just bigger... and the strongest sustained winds from the NWS never materialized over land. Punta had 126 Gust before going out, Port Charlotte probably had strongest winds inland.

royals.jpg

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

17 hours ago, Jimbean said:

So far it's been a nothing burger for Brevard, but the winds have been picking up in gradually.  Expecting stronger winds over night. 

Sometimes a nothing burger is the best flavor!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

36 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Sometimes a nothing burger is the best flavor!

I barely got up to tropical storm force winds overnight.  The highest wind gust might have been 50mph.  I could have taken some of the west coast's intensity and more evenly distributed it here and I think everyone would have been a little better off. 

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

One to remember for sure, and Ian will replace Charley in everyone's memory.

Not much going on here in southern Broward except for a bundle of low-end tornadoes and wind gusts to maybe 40 mph. During Tuesday night into Wednesday morning I stopped counting tornado warnings when it hit ten. I think five of them were confirmed by now, including one that bounced through a couple nearby neighborhoods into Cooper City, two that went through North Perry Airport and another one near I-75 and Griffin Road. I have the expected litter of broken fronds and branch tips. We are still getting the back-side wind and rare gusts.

Once Ian left Cuba, it began to wobble a lot and I got the worry it would sheer it's course to the east, which it did. I began to think of all the plant people I know and have met from Marco Island to Tampa and parts inland.

I know of two collectors in Marco Island I would meet at every west coast plant sale. They might not be able to get in and out.

Naples got higher than expected storm surge and wind due to that wobble to the east. I think of the Naples Botanical Garden and of course the Naples Zoo. Hard to fathom the Zoo with several feet of flooding. The animals, the plant collection...

Fort Myers, ugh... I don't even want to think of it. Jim & Judy Glock right in Fort Myers, their house and massive plant collection in central, southern Fort Myers. So many more plant collectors, old nurseries, collections. The Edison Estate! It's right on the river... all that history...

They keep mentioning Cape Coral as possible 'ground zero' and I hope Meg is fine. If anyone can make it through, she can. She is most likely without power at the moment, cursing at the fact she can't post about it.

They are showing the now missing Sanibel Island causeway on the news.. almost a quarter million without power in Lee County, about 98%...

If you are in west or central Florida at all, report in if you can.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

5 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Any update @PalmatierMeg??  Everything okay where you're at??

Cape Coral is in Lee County and the worst area affected by the storm surge. According to news outlets there is no cell service, and little if any electrical service still functioning in Cape Coral. It's so bad that damage videos since the storm moved away haven't even started to show up on you tube. Hopefully Meg made it through OK and will let us know but that may not be for days. The county sheriff for Lee County spoke this morning of grim reports of people calling 911 yesterday as they were drowning in floating/sinking cars etc. after conditions got so bad rescue operations had to be halted. So many told to evacuate think they can "ride it out",   then when it really hits the fan it's too late.

Was windy/rainy here and some local tornadoes ripped roofs off but not bad at all.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

I barely got up to tropical storm force winds overnight.  The highest wind gust might have been 50mph.  I could have taken some of the west coast's intensity and more evenly distributed it here and I think everyone would have been a little better off. 

Bless your heart! But we all know that's not how it works, alas.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Cape Coral is in Lee County and the worst area affected by the storm surge. According to news outlets there is no cell service, and little if any electrical service still functioning in Cape Coral. It's so bad that damage videos since the storm moved away haven't even started to show up on you tube. Hopefully Meg made it through OK and will let us know but that may not be for days. The county sheriff for Lee County spoke this morning of grim reports of people calling 911 yesterday as they were drowning in floating/sinking cars etc. after conditions got so bad rescue operations had to be halted. So many told to evacuate think they can "ride it out",   then when it really hits the fan it's too late.

Was windy/rainy here and some local tornadoes ripped roofs off but not bad at all.

I've heard from two sources that have relatives living in Cape Coral (1 brother, 2nd father). They were saying no one has an undamaged roof, or any roof at all. 

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

I've heard from two sources that have relatives living in Cape Coral (1 brother, 2nd father). They were saying no one has an undamaged roof, or any roof at all. 

Hope they're wrong! :crying:

You okay?

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hope they're wrong! :crying:

You okay?

I'm hours away. Finished all my cleanup by 10:30 this morning. Lot's of frond chopping 

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B