IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

which hardiness zone map do you think is better?

DTS

Plant Maps.. Only map i trust, ...Besides Sunset's Maps which are most reliable for the west, particularly California.  USDA and Arbor Day maps are too vague for my liking.

Here's the map for Massachusetts ***2012 Data***  Hopefully there will be an update soon.

1929467745_Screenshot2022-09-27at17-30-46MassachusettsInteractive2012USDAPlantHardinessZoneMap.thumb.png.26433d28f687b0ecd1e36f57e6c4028e.png

43 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Plant Maps.. Only map i trust, ...Besides Sunset's Maps which are most reliable for the west, particularly California.  USDA and Arbor Day maps are too vague for my liking.

Here's the map for Massachusetts ***2012 Data***  Hopefully there will be an update soon.

1929467745_Screenshot2022-09-27at17-30-46MassachusettsInteractive2012USDAPlantHardinessZoneMap.thumb.png.26433d28f687b0ecd1e36f57e6c4028e.png

Looks like they’re just using USDA, no? I see they have St. Armands Key listed as 9b so they basically have no credibility in my book.

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

33 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Looks like they’re just using USDA, no? I see they have St. Armands Key listed as 9b so they basically have no credibility in my book.

i totally forgot about plantmaps lol

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Like any map, it's definitely not perfect, and needs to be updated to reflect some changes but plenty credible from what i've seen here/ in California, and in Kansas / Ohio..  Regular ol' map is too mind numbingly basic, and lacking in important detailed insight.

19 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Like any map, it's definitely not perfect, and needs to be updated to reflect some changes but plenty credible from what i've seen here/ in California, and in Kansas / Ohio..  Regular ol' map is too mind numbingly basic, and lacking in important detailed insight.

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Yes, plantmaps just regurgitates USDA to a T, hence the 2012 data

1706768631_masshardinessmap.thumb.JPG.180f6817c2473a67a66cad999c752c6b.JPG

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

They really need to make an updated one for 1993-2022, or at least the 1991-2020 climate normals, using the median instead of the mean lowest temperature. Lots of places have jumped a full zone or even two zones in that time period compared to 1976-2005, if their median low is used.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...