IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Princeps frond color :

WSimpson

My Princeps has an interesting  white underside color .The fronds on the top have   a green appearance , and are  not that   blue  variety   that  I think I like the better ,  but I  do  like the contrast with the underside of the fronds a lot  , and of course the fronds are so elegant looking . 

I think it will flower year after next since it's trunking quite a lot these days . 

Will

52389018293_3d4069f930_b.jpg

Overview :

52389201305_ffa3c4f4cf_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Lookin' great!

Thanks , I haven't had a problem with hardiness and I've heard they are just as hardy as fortunei , but then I'll read something that says they are less hardy than fortunei . So I'll know eventually .

Mine is in a great microclimate  . 

I believe this is princeps "Green Form" or "New Form" sometimes referred to as "Nova". You may be aware but there are two forms of princeps, one of which was more recently discovered and mistakenly imported as the "StoneGate" or "Blue/Silver" form, later being noted that it is actually different and has been since identified (maybe unofficially, but the word is out) ... I have both forms and the pics posted strongly resemble my New/Green form princeps. They both have the white undersides. The blue/stonegate form is much shorter/stouter and has the iridescence sheen on the top that gives a blue appearance. The New/Green form is taller, longer petioles, much greener appearance, bigger longer fronds and just overall larger. The biggest difference is growth speed, the Blue form is slow ive seen 3 fronds this summer. The Green is on its maybe 8th in the same time.  Just thought id share what Ive found during my self education of palms. Now you can try and find the other form!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I believe this is princeps "Green Form" or "New Form" sometimes referred to as "Nova". You may be aware but there are two forms of princeps, one of which was more recently discovered and mistakenly imported as the "StoneGate" or "Blue/Silver" form, later being noted that it is actually different and has been since identified (maybe unofficially, but the word is out) ... I have both forms and the pics posted strongly resemble my New/Green form princeps. They both have the white undersides. The blue/stonegate form is much shorter/stouter and has the iridescence sheen on the top that gives a blue appearance. The New/Green form is taller, longer petioles, much greener appearance, bigger longer fronds and just overall larger. The biggest difference is growth speed, the Blue form is slow ive seen 3 fronds this summer. The Green is on its maybe 8th in the same time.  Just thought id share what Ive found during my self education of palms. Now you can try and find the other form!... EDIT... Also worth noting that the green form at least in my experience can take full sun all day, the Stonegate/blue does not like that it burned and bleached and i couldnt figure out why, i moved it to mostly shaded, but 3-4 hrs (morning) sun, and it has made a drastic difference, and actually re greened some sun bleaching which i was surprised to see, and the newest frond looks way better with the shaded afternoon spot. 

2 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Thanks for the info . I'll definitely want a blue form . 

Do you know of a good source for the blue form ? Have your heard anything about the hardiness of both forms ? 

Thanks