IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops in Zone 7

GregVirginia7

This one came from a garden center greenhouse covered in mealy bugs…they weren’t going to sell it to me because it was diseased but they relented, gave me 50% off and I brought it home…I saw the potential and knew it was an outdoor cold hardy palm and not a humid greenhouse palm, doused it in insecticidal soap and 14 years later, here it is…

32225E5B-BA26-4B32-B249-25AD57B5AA1C.thumb.jpeg.eb401e676271e443afb64878858f946b.jpeg

It’s developed a 2’ trunk and suckers are doing great…had a weird sort of frond dieback this season but all those fronds were old originals…still a couple of the old ones left but I didn’t want to cut all them off as they still have some color…but it really pushed up a dense flush of many new fronds this season, adding many inches of trunk height…

Here it was during recuperation 14-years ago…

97ACFB6E-B5CC-4A2C-A2C1-00E560C01C28.thumb.jpeg.fc08c017b4c6a534d679afa663dc8d72.jpeg

It’s been a loosely protected palm with a blanket of lights on the ground a shroud of landscaping cloth when temps sink into the teens and an umbrella topper all winter long to help keep the crown drier, but it’s never been tightly wrapped. The umbrella stays but the shroud gets opened up during the day…I do watch this one as I know I test its limits but want to be ready should a polar anomaly strike. This past winter, I let it go a little further into our winter wonderland, for what that’s worth…

A4DB42E9-2099-43D3-8DD1-D63636707C37.thumb.jpeg.cae406049f59c546632b7fe361b67da6.jpeg

C2509AA4-C883-40BA-96C1-0DCF8480D244.thumb.jpeg.4a741ffcdc340716330da15f1c2bfca2.jpeg

The McCurtain to its left (and current in top picture) has really begun to show up to the backyard party…getting its adult fronds and really bluing up…nice contrast for sure and a real winter trooper!

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Very Nice. I'm in Atlanta and we have not so much a problem with cold (It's gone to 7º since I've live here), as with ice. From ATL to CLT we get ice storms and it kills Butias and Chamaerops.

11 minutes ago, SeanK said:

Very Nice. I'm in Atlanta and we have not so much a problem with cold (It's gone to 7º since I've live here), as with ice. From ATL to CLT we get ice storms and it kills Butias and Chamaerops.

Yes…I think top protection is very important during winter…

@GregVirginia7badass! 14 years says a lot, seems permanent there. Makes me want to plant mine against the foundation and see what happens. I think I get more heat than you do, but also worse winter weather in middle TN zone 7a

I like your protection scheme using the umbrella. I often thought an overhead protection from rain/snow would be good in a different climate. Your palm looks great.

This is my med palm.  Seed grown from Las Cruces NM source.  I had it on the north side of my house when 2011 hit.  It lost 1' trunk at -10f.  All the other stumps survived. Saw zero the following winter and defoliated again. I move it to the Southside in 2012, and that is currently where it sits. It has not defoliated since. 

Mine now sits directly under a canale (roof drain) so it does get totally encased in ice at times.  

Tallest trunk is about 3.5 feet. This pic is from April this year after seeing 7f in February.  Probably about 40% leaf damage.  Never protected.

IMG_20220410_154206_HDR.jpg

Edited by jwitt
Additional info
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 4:15 PM, jwitt said:

I like your protection scheme using the umbrella. I often thought an overhead protection from rain/snow would be good in a different climate. Your palm looks great.

This is my med palm.  Seed grown from Las Cruces NM source.  I had it on the north side of my house when 2011 hit.  It lost 1' trunk at -10f.  All the other stumps survived. Saw zero the following winter and defoliated again. I move it to the Southside in 2012, and that is currently where it sits. It has not defoliated since. 

Mine now sits directly under a canale (roof drain) so it does get totally encased in ice at times.  

Tallest trunk is about 3.5 feet. This pic is from April this year after seeing 7f in February.  Probably about 40% leaf damage.  Never protected.

IMG_20220410_154206_HDR.jpg

Looks like you relocated it to the perfect south face…an umbrella may just give it the cover it needs to arrest some of the browning…my problem is, as soon as I get a frond that gets some wear on it, I hack it off…but the Chamaerops is really the only palm I have that I’m compelled to, at least, get some protection established just in case the arctic pays a visit…

On 9/26/2022 at 9:13 PM, teddytn said:

@GregVirginia7badass! 14 years says a lot, seems permanent there. Makes me want to plant mine against the foundation and see what happens. I think I get more heat than you do, but also worse winter weather in middle TN zone 7a

Yeah…I’d plant next spring and see what happens with a bit of Christmas lights and some cover for winter…do you have a protected sunny south face? Foundation facing sunny south would be great. Mine could use more direct sun but it seems happy enough…

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 9:35 PM, Nomad NYC said:

This is the third year in ground of my own seven year old seed grown Chamaerops Humilis ( var. humilis ) :

YcxvJP.jpg

Amazing…do you give it winter protection? Looks like it gets quite a bit with its surroundings…looks really happy.

• Like 1

It looks really good Greg, I wonder how the humidity affects it?  I remember being surprised to find them in Florida.  They seem quite adaptable.  

9 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

It looks really good Greg, I wonder how the humidity affects it?  I remember being surprised to find them in Florida.  They seem quite adaptable.  

Like my Trachy, I never lost a frond to freeze…that umbrella top cover with lightweight, loose cover and lights has carried it through…it’s more a desert palm but has adapted to a mid-Atlantic climate pretty well with my heavy clay soil, humidity…I really don’t water it since it likes things a bit dry so I let nature handle that for this one. But I do think umbrella cover in the winter is the most beneficial, however, the suckers on the left don’t get much benefit from the umbrella and they have always remained perfectly fine though they do get the same ground cover blanket of lights and shroud.

On 9/30/2022 at 8:08 PM, GregVirginia7 said:

Amazing…do you give it winter protection? Looks like it gets quite a bit with its surroundings…looks really happy.

Yes, it's a very happy little palm - it's best thriving one in my whole yard!

As for winter protection,  I just wrapped it up in a burlap tent-bag in a simple unheated wooden frame ( but this past March I unwrapped it too early, and after brief, but cold freezing rain event, the central spears completely pulled out. Fortunately, the palm bounced back completely this past spring and summer  - I'll do a future post soon about the Chamaerops spear pull back in early Spring and it's recovery ).

Speaking of the surroundings, I made sure to plant it in a good microclimate , having it near a southwest facing side of the brick foundation of my house , and my furnace in the basement below ground on other side of that wall keeps that part of the ground outside very nice and warm ( frost free ) during the winter months.

(  It also probably helps that that my particular area in New York is probably warmer than it is officially listed in the old 2012 USDA plant hardiness zone map  )