IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

For all you indoor up north growers!

Rickybobby

Coming this Palm Sunday I redid my indoor room this is a teaser pic 

video is coming this Sunday of my new setup in southern Ontario Canada 

0CC56205-F68D-47A4-A608-EE70B1818F3B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

and here I am trying to figure out how to shoehorn some up-potted monsters back into my library this fall. . .   

I feel like I need to buy another house!  (or maybe just build a climate-controlled shed?)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

On 9/26/2022 at 3:50 PM, Rickybobby said:

Coming this Palm Sunday I redid my indoor room this is a teaser pic 

video is coming this Sunday of my new setup in southern Ontario Canada 

0CC56205-F68D-47A4-A608-EE70B1818F3B.jpeg

Nice room, though!  What is that putting out those super-long strap leaves on the edge of the table?

On 9/30/2022 at 10:47 AM, Funkthulhu said:

Nice room, though!  What is that putting out those super-long strap leaves on the edge of the table?

Syagrus romanzoffiana 

• 3 weeks later...

That's a lot of watts for the current situation with electricity prices through the roof 

previously known as ego

3 hours ago, subsonicdrone said:

under 250W in lighting
not bad if you ask me

single 54W t5s are around 45cad at the local shop

Under 250W in total for the whole room? That's not bad at all indeed.

previously known as ego

I've had really good luck with my palms and tropicals ever since I moved from a north-facing apartment, to a house with huge ESE facing floor-to-ceiling windows.  But even with that new blazing sun (and south windows all day), I still wonder if I should augment with a few lamps.  The forest is really thick this year and I'm worried some of the understory of pots is going to be light starved...   

Would help if I had a palm room that wasn't also my library as well.

2 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I've had really good luck with my palms and tropicals ever since I moved from a north-facing apartment, to a house with huge ESE facing floor-to-ceiling windows.  But even with that new blazing sun (and south windows all day), I still wonder if I should augment with a few lamps.  The forest is really thick this year and I'm worried some of the understory of pots is going to be light starved...   

Would help if I had a palm room that wasn't also my library as well.

You can use a light meter or whatever they are called. There are also apps you can download on your phone to measure the intensity of light. For a palm tree that likes sunshine I would think that it needs at least 1000 FC of light and for at least 10 hours every day. 

My apartment is north-facing and not only that, it is surrounded by tall trees that block any sunshine even in the patio at the front. However, I think I would still use grow lights for the most tropical species even if I lived in a sunny south or east-facing flat because it's also the duration of light that's important. I don't think 8 hours of sunlight will be enough for the most tropical species, so perhaps grow lights can fill the gap.

previously known as ego

My palms are growing well as always. The current lighting is doing well. Price wise on hydro it’s a few bucks. My fish tank is just as pricey. Gotta pay to play. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

My palms are growing well as always. The current lighting is doing well. Price wise on hydro it’s a few bucks. My fish tank is just as pricey. Gotta pay to play. 

Do they also grow during winter or do they stay dormant?

previously known as ego

Great setup.  Systemic insecticide if you want to kill that scale indoors

Edited by Allen
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F