IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

5 month Royal update

Breaktheory

Dear friends…

This Royal has improved quite a bit but will it make it? It has 2 floppy fronds w a third emerging but is growing about half the speed of my other royals - what’s the consensus on this going into winter?

Thanks all!

Jon

484E1A1F-9C60-418A-9C6A-C3134D386FF0.jpeg

1F2108E4-F716-41F8-80EF-6F18F9577031.jpeg

0D411B22-5AEE-4C09-BCD9-E9204340099B.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks sun burned. I prefer to plant in the fall if possible due to less heat stress/sun exposure. Definitely keep watering. These palms usually experience cloudy conditions and a ton of rain this time of year in South Florida and Carribean islands. 

Cypress mulch may help lock in that moisture for longer periods over what is currently present.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like it’s acclimating pretty well. Good that you got it in the ground when you did since it will have established new roots and put out a couple of healthy fronds before much cooler weather sets in California. Are you giving it deep waterings besides the lawn irrigation? 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

16 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Looks like it’s acclimating pretty well. Good that you got it in the ground when you did since it will have established new roots and put out a couple of healthy fronds before much cooler weather sets in California. Are you giving it deep waterings besides the lawn irrigation? 

So since we’re in drought I only get 10 mins of lawn watering a week!

I’ve been doing deep hose waterings 3-4 times a week since May - I turn on a hose and stick it by the base and let it run 30 mins - that’s probably about 30 gallons each watering and I position the hose to prevent any runoff.

For comparison, here’s a picture from May - I’m really not sure why the fronds are so floppy 

5EFB983F-B2D0-4867-8B7A-F3B752765DD5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So I have rocks covering the base but under that I have a 4” layer of grow mulch and chicken manure - I should probably add some more soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D Palm said:

It looks sun burned. I prefer to plant in the fall if possible due to less heat stress/sun exposure. Definitely keep watering. These palms usually experience cloudy conditions and a ton of rain this time of year in South Florida and Carribean islands. 

Cypress mulch may help lock in that moisture for longer periods over what is currently present.

Yes in dry climates the palms that prefer more humidity sometimes get burnt even when established and well watered. My Livestona got all of the fronds toasted to a crisp by the sun here despite being in part shade. then it recovered once rainseason hit. The sun in the mountains is stronger as well so there is that as well here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Breaktheory said:

It’s doing better than it was but will it ever really become as healthy as my others?

I think you're 5 months into an 18 month experiment.  What can you do except keep watering it?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

7 hours ago, awkonradi said:

I think you're 5 months into an 18 month experiment.  What can you do except keep watering it?

You know I came pretty close to removing it but ended up installing the new tree I got as a third rather than replacing it