IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's wrong with my Kentia palm?

kentia

Hello everyone!

I bought it about one month ago, had a few totally brown leaves which I've removed from the bottom.

I'm watering it once per week after I make sure the first 2 inches of soil are dry. The humidity is low, only 40% (already ordered a humidifier for it), I'm spraying some water on it each morning that I hope it helps.

What are these brown/black spots on the stems? Should I worry?

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

• Upvote 1

No, I’m keeping it inside. I bought it one month ago from a diy store with garden center (similar to Home Depot) and also there it was inside. I’ve started to use some fertilizer, also humidity is around 50% now, I hope to see some improvements. Any other advice?

Kentia's are a Hardy Palm and one of the best indoor Palms to have. They require fast drainage sandy soil. The humidity at 50 % is ok, Place a pebble tray under the plant for additional Humidity. Place the Plant it a moderately bright window NO Sunbeams, or in a very bright corner. Here is a website with more detail :)https://plantophiles.com/plant-care/kentia-palm-care/

• 1 month later...

It looks great.

I'd only really be concerned if the spots spread or continue to get larger.

If they do, they may be fungus which would require a spraying of copper fungicide.

You should probably get some anyway in case fungus gets a hold of it in the future. Also grab some some horticulture spray when spider mites start to infest the plant.

@kentiait's looking great!  I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to the spots on the petioles, pushing out that new frond is a sure sign of a happy palm. I've often seen similar discoloration on the petioles of the older fronds of my kentias and haven't found it's anything to worry about.  As far as kentia specific pests to be on the look out for, the one I have the hardest time with is scale.  I keep a spray bottle of 70% isopropyl handy to spray them when they crop up. 

I'm a big fan of the look of solitary potted kentias, what a beautiful palm you have! Here are a few of mine from my Seattle apt. :D

lEgGtpLw.jpeg

Palm16.jpeg

Palm15.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have another issue on my other kentia - on the biggest one of them (there are 4 in this pot) I've cut the center stem about 2 weeks ago because it was dead, now it seems the oldest leaf is dying as well. Should I cut this leaf? If yes, from where? Is there anything I can do to prevent any other issues on this palm?

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Just one leaf? Cut it off. Palms grow by reabsorbing nutrients from older leaves, then growing new ones. Just cut off the dead leaf after it browns. Howeas are not crownshafted palms that shed dead leaves. From your latest photo the palms look fine so don’t fret yourself into an ulcer over them. You have multiple solitary palms in that pot, so they are competing for nutrients and weaker ones may die in the future. When you water do you make sure the pot does not sit in a tray of water? That can cause root rot.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the quick response. The pot has some drain holes and the soil is a mix that has a good drainage, never kept the water in the tray. From where to cut the brown leaf? From all the way down?

20 hours ago, kentia said:

Thanks for the quick response. The pot has some drain holes and the soil is a mix that has a good drainage, never kept the water in the tray. From where to cut the brown leaf? From all the way down?

Cut it near the stem, i.e., the dying part.

Meg

Florida

Photo 2

Meg

Florida