IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filifera seeds

NBTX11

This is the first year my 17-18 year old Filifera has produced seeds. Can anyone tell if they are ready to remove from tree and are viable yet. Thanks. 

1DC79665-1BFA-43A9-A5CC-50EDDBCEB47C.jpeg

• Like 4

Not ready yet from your picture. They will be black. I bet those are soft. A few on the ends may fall early. 

A6D07626-2BF0-401C-9368-74F7D39B543F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

If someone wants some in another month or so hit me up and we can work out a deal. 2021 Freeze hardy. I plan on taking most of them and tossing them around town in public flower beds. I’ve had great luck planting palms that way in the past. Some of which are large now and producing their own seeds. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

If someone wants some in another month or so hit me up and we can work out a deal. 2021 Freeze hardy. I plan on taking most of them and tossing them around town in public flower beds. I’ve had great luck planting palms that way in the past. Some of which are large now and producing their own seeds. 

You have quite a few hybrids left in New Braunsfel. I am collecting seeds from north and central Texas, at least 100 miles from hybrids. Though one time I did collect seeds from a Filifera in San Antonio and 3 of 4 came out to be Filifera and survive the freeze at my brothers house in Austin. The 4th was much faster and taller by 2021 and struggled, and don’t think it made it. Washintonia hybridize so easily. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

15 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

You have quite a few hybrids left in New Braunsfel. I am collecting seeds from north and central Texas, at least 100 miles from hybrids. Though one time I did collect seeds from a Filifera in San Antonio and 3 of 4 came out to be Filifera and survive the freeze at my brothers house in Austin. The 4th was much faster and taller by 2021 and struggled, and don’t think it made it. Washintonia hybridize so easily. 

There are a lot of hybrids, but is that going to affect my seeds?  My tree is likely a pure or close to pure Filifera.  There is another thinner, seeding hybrid maybe 8 houses away from my house in someone else's yard.  Would this affect me.  I don't usually worry about hybrids, I just find a tree that looks like a pure Filifera and grab seeds.

15 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

There are a lot of hybrids, but is that going to affect my seeds?  My tree is likely a pure or close to pure Filifera.  There is another thinner, seeding hybrid maybe 8 houses away from my houWhase in someone else's yard.  Would this affect me.  I don't usually worry about hybrids, I just find a tree that looks like a pure Filifera and grab seeds.

What about Canary seeds, have you found any of those this year in your neighborhood.

9 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

What about Canary seeds, have you found any of those this year in your neighborhood.

I'll look around.  I haven't specifically been checking for canaries.  There's a big one within walking distance of my house, but I don't remember what it's doing.

Edited by NBTX11

On 9/24/2022 at 8:17 AM, NBTX11 said:

I’ll buy some 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Looking good. You should get split leaves soon. 

I would definitely take more. I don’t mind buying them either just shoot me a heads up when ready 

• Upvote 1

Youtube - Okpalms 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:47 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Not ready yet from your picture. They will be black. I bet those are soft. A few on the ends may fall early. 

So I took a few off to see if they were soft.  I took off the outer shell and the seeds were hard, even though they are not black.  Actually really hard.  So, I am soaking them in water now to see if they are viable.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:11 PM, NBTX11 said:

So I took a few off to see if they were soft.  I took off the outer shell and the seeds were hard, even though they are not black.  Actually really hard.  So, I am soaking them in water now to see if they are viable.

Just to clarify. The outer fruit is black, but the actually seed I found of Filifera to be tiny and tan and hard as a rock. Ill go get some hybrids and see how they compare. I looked at my surviving what I thought was a hybrid, looked just like a Filifera seed. However a mile a way there was a freak really Lucky ( SW foundation of apartments) hybrid mutt with seeds, curious if the seed is larger or different color. Also wished I had a real Robusta to compare. They may all be identical though.

4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Just to clarify. The outer fruit is black, but the actually seed I found of Filifera to be tiny and tan and hard as a rock. Ill go get some hybrids and see how they compare. I looked at my surviving what I thought was a hybrid, looked just like a Filifera seed. However a mile a way there was a freak really Lucky ( SW foundation of apartments) hybrid mutt with seeds, curious if the seed is larger or different color. Also wished I had a real Robusta to compare. They may all be identical though.

Yes that’s what I’m referring to. The outer shell wasn’t black. I took off the outer shell and the seeds were hard and tan. The actual seeds were not soft at all. 

I harvested thousands of fresh Filifera seeds off my tree. About 25-50 percent of them were black. If any wants some message me. 

168F962C-7914-43E5-AF8C-13717CE581B8.jpeg

• Like 1

I can’t believe how many seeds one tree produces. I’ve filled up a pot of seeds and that’s only about 20 percent of the ones I took off the tree which was only about 25 percent of the ones which were on the tree

E4360F20-7844-4B9F-B5D6-6C7E25D409CE.jpeg

• Like 4

Estimated 10,000+ seeds collected. Maybe more. Enough to fill up a large standard kitchen pot. 

Edited by NBTX11

That's a LOT of seeds there! 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I just got done tossing thousands of seeds around town so in 10-20 years if you see palms everywhere in New Braunfels it was me. Making New Braunfels palm city USA one seed at a time. 

• Like 5