IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which palms do you think should be more common in your city?

idontknowhatnametuse

The only palms I commonly see around my city are Washingtonias, Syagrus Romanzoffiana, Clumps of Dypsis Lutescens and some royal palms.

Here's my list

Sabal Mexicana, because it's a native palm in my state but it's not used as ornamental for some reason.

Acrocomia Aculeata, which is native to the neighboring state of San Luis Potosi and has a very extended range. Also it's more cold hardy than queen palms.

Bismarckia Nobilis, There are some plantings of these around my city and they have proved to be more cold hardy than queen palms and even washingtonias. They didn't take any damage in the February 2021 freeze.

Livistona Chinensis, It looks good for public gardens.

Arenga Engleri, Looks very good for public gardens too.

Beccariophoenix Alfredii, A good coconut palm look-alike.

Euterpe Edulis, is a good replacement for Adonidia Merillii.

Phoenix Reclinata, There is only one place in my city where I have seen this species and it's in a public garden.

Chamaedorea Microspadix, very cold hardy and good looking.

Chamaedorea Radicalis, can take a lot of cold and it looks very nice.

Dypsis Onilahensis (Now Chrysalidocarpus), Looks better than Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens in my opinion and can also take a lot of cold.

• Like 3

Large Sabal such as Riverside, mexicana, and uresana

Brahea armata, aculeataberlandieri

Washingtonia filifera (true)

Livistona alfredii, mariae

Bismarckia nobilis

Beccariophoenix alfredii (warmer areas to be safe)

Phoenix rupicola (warmer areas)

mules of many types

Trithrinax campestris

Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera

Copernicia alba, prunifera

Jubaeopsis caffra (warmer areas)

Hi 99˚, Lo 69˚

• Like 2

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Overall:

Brahea, -all sp. B. armata is represented reasonably well already ( ..Though there's plenty of room for more )

Copernicia, Thrinax / Leucothrinax, and Coccothrinax -all sp. that will handle the heat / what cold we see in the winter.

Cryosophila  any and all species that will survive here.

Pseudophoenix,  Mainly P. sargentii since they're the most adaptable sp.  Since they're slower growing ..and quite attractive, they should attract attention.

Sabal uresana.. It is our regionally native Sabal species.. Should be much more commonly seen here.

Specific applications: IE: In Parks / Commercial landscapes where there is a water source such as a groundwater recharge pond / lake

Beccarriophoenix alfredii   ..Trial the other two sp. to test their hardiness in under local conditions.

Tough Chamaedorea sp.. I see lots of commercial developments with shaded corridor areas where these would thrive ..and look amazing.

Majesty, Ravenea rivularis

Hyphaene sp.

Nannorrhops

Other Sabal sp,  BIG ones esp.

Enough with the overload of Phoenix and Washingtonia  planted  everywhere already...  It's 2022, time to put these tired, worn out options to bed.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

Sabal Palmetto

Sabal Minor

Chamaerops Humilis

Butia Capitata

Butia Odorata

Butia Yatay

I see these planted sparsely around my town, and I'm always thinking to myself how they could be planted more often. They are bulletproof here pretty much, and I live close to a lake, which would look amazing if the street was lined with palmettos or something. There's a house right on that lake that has a bunch of palmettos in the backyard right on the edge of the lake, and the palmettos are tapped right into that water, and they look amazing!

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 3

I would like to see more of the following palms in Jacksonville, Fl. :

1. Livistona species: nitida,  saribus, australis, decora

2. Sabal causiarum- nice thick white trunks

3. Copernicia alba

4. Bismarckia - Few specimens already planted proving to be very tough

5. Syagrus romanzoffiana - Litoralis, santa catarina varieties

• Like 5

Interior UHI:

• Veitchia arecina
  • Ptychosperma macarthurii
  • Carpentaria acuminata
  • Archontophoenix purpurea
  • Attalea cohune
  • Beccariophoenix (fenestralis, madagascariensis)
  • Clinostigma savoryanum
  • Hyphaene thebaica
  • Zombia antillarum

Rural areas without UHI influence:

• Archontophoenix cunninghamiana
  • Allagoptera arenaria
  • Trithrinax (acanthocoma, campestris)
  • Nannorrhops ritchiana
  • Hyphaene (coriacia, petersiana, compressa)
  • Guiihaia (argyrata, grossifibrosa)
  • Cryosophila (warscewiczii, stauracantha)

We have a lot of species here, including mature Trachycarpus.  The list has to be split because while the interior UHI didn't freeze this past winter, the Northwest corner of the area recorded 23F on a Davis Vantage Pro 2.  There were similar records in the northeast extremes of the area.  You can see the difference between my gardens and the public gardens in town vs. the damage recorded outside of town here: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/72092-january-2022-florida-freeze-report/

Under these circumstances, you can grow some "different" stuff, but it has to fit different criteria:

• very hardy OR
  • can grow well under canopy AND/OR
  • stays short
  • Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

For Texas this should be its own separate thread. What you would like to see, and what will survive the brutal freeze events we historically have. Nevertheless, in zone 8b/9a I would like to see more Canary Island Dates, but the bigger the cities gets the better chance that Texas Palm decline kills them all.  That leaves Sabal Palmetto and Sabal Mexicana as the only viable option of palms sold at large sizes that will survive another big freeze. Washingtonia Filifera is another if you get the real deal. A few other options for palm nuts, but they would never become popular or readily available. Pindos and Trachycarpus are short lived here in the main part of town.

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Beccariophoenix Alfredii 

Dypsis decaryi 

Dypsis carlsmithii 

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

For Texas this should be its own separate thread. What you would like to see, and what will survive the brutal freeze events we historically have. Nevertheless, in zone 8b/9a I would like to see more Canary Island Dates, but the bigger the cities gets the better chance that Texas Palm decline kills them all.  That leaves Sabal Palmetto and Sabal Mexicana as the only viable option of palms sold at large sizes that will survive another big freeze. Washingtonia Filifera is another if you get the real deal. A few other options for palm nuts, but they would never become popular or readily available. Pindos and Trachycarpus are short lived here in the main part of town.

To be fair, the 2021 freeze was a once in a century event. But how often do you get an out of zone freeze at your house?

Where I live, I see a long string of 12º to 14º, but then every 20 years we'd get between 6º to 9º.

We are well loaded with Trachycarpus fortunei and Washingtonia filifera. Nannorrhops and Serenoa would do well. Brahea and Chamaerops are starting to get a decent representation.  
Brahea armata‘s growth rate turns a lot of people off, but they should be more widely planted. They don’t stop growing in the summer, and they are leaf hardy into the single digits around here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Beccariophoenix Alfredii & Madagascariensis, Dypsis Decaryi & Leptocheilos, Rhopalostylis Sapida, Chambeyronia Hookeri & Macrocarpa, are all no brainers. There's way too many to list so the best bet would be to just have Tracy be in charge of landscaping our whole town! Maybe launching an "undesirable Queen palm removal" campaign would be a start.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Short list:

Pseudophoenix sargentii

Attalea cohune 

Syagrus schizopyhlla

Satakentia leukiuensis 

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

Burretiokentia hapala? 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

Short list:

Pseudophoenix sargentii

Attalea cohune 

Syagrus schizopyhlla

Satakentia leukiuensis 

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

Burretiokentia hapala? 

:greenthumb:  These are a couple others that should at least be trial- worthy here.   " Coco " Queen cross as well.. Maybe it will tolerate the heat here far better than standard Queens.. Mules do really well, but i've yet to see them used in public places much -so far.

Attalea might be so darn slow that they never really catch on / bigger growers not patient enough to grow any..   Arenga and Acrocomia  sp. might work as well in some situations, though the last might be too spiny for more public applications..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we should have some more sabals in my city becuase they have been proven to be hardy in my zone as well as nannorrhops and maybe even washingtonia hybrids in a sheltered location!

Edited by EJ NJ
misspelling
  • Upvote 1

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

I'd like to see more Wodyetia (Foxtail) Palms planted in southern California!  They're much more attractive than the ubiquitous Queen Palms, a much more interesting head of fronds (kind of fuzzy-looking) and a much more elegant trunk (kind of Royal-like).  And they are perfectly hardy here, but not commonly available, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bismarckia Nobilis. Only see one growing in a planter in the cities main street. 
Royals. There is some big ones here and there that was planted out as smaller palms a long time ago. 
All species of Brahea. Only exist in my yard lol

Trachies

Kings

foxtails

butias

mule palms

Parajubaea 

I could probably list more, but thats the ones I can come up with right now. 

• Upvote 1

I think the San Francisco Bay Area deserves many more Rhopalostylis, Hedyscepe, Howea, and Parajubaea, microclimates permitting.

• Upvote 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Sabal Palmetto, it’s the state tree for Florida. Pindo’s are common in neighborhoods around my area. Nothing beats a sabal, looks great year-round, hurricane & frost proof. 

• Like 2