IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Survivor Palms

Cindy Adair

Well when I left for a brief trip to the States Fiona was not yet born.  I had done the basics one does during peak hurricane months but nothing like what I would have done had I been home when she “visited”.

Still since the rain, not the wind was the issue this time, my little plants in pots in a strong shadehouse are fine. 

I am choosing to post the positives at least to start.

Look at these survivor palms that did not lose a leaf!

Licuala cordata

296216D6-AD59-42E7-BCB1-D6D8B004FEA8.thumb.jpeg.f84f59c89ffe41df005b56ef1b3052c1.jpeg

Asterogyne martiana 

02FB5D65-CE9E-4F55-BE85-5BEED58C762D.thumb.jpeg.f2d603872a12033e03de21bdf9a48f02.jpeg

Licuala mattanensis ‘mapu’ now seeding, but collected the ripe seed before I left.

50966912-7844-45E3-88CE-46FDBE95FD57.thumb.jpeg.3dc7df6354be4d98bc19cdb605cc78c1.jpeg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

7FFC4003-5223-4343-BD51-38DC1CA93C5D.thumb.jpeg.ebf499057f8c4e7307f83f254c33ad5b.jpeg

In fact, when I looked more closely, most of the severely leaning palms are less than 4 feet tall and have evidence of obvious rhinoceros beetle damage. Of course they could not stand tall in the wind and rain. 

Some may live as I can prop them up and apply imidocloprid hopefully tomorrow.

My flight home was to be on the day Fiona (and María five years ago) hit, so obviously I had to make other plans.

I am very happy that even originally paying the lowest fares SW and Cape Air were VERY nice and got me home Tuesday by dark. 

Bad but not María on my land and in fact City water returned today versus 3 months without following María. 

Got smart with a small push button propane generator so no need to wait in gas lines.

Bamboo and Tropical Almond and Cecropia trees are expected to crash down and I have been removing and cutting but still plenty to fall last Sunday. 

My big Roystonea borinquenas dropped leaves which crush some plants but the trunks usually survive and they push out odd yellow leaves soon after.

Need to get through the rest of September and all of October before relaxing a little. 

I remember Irma that was so bad for us (and poor FL got nailed) but before we could clean up and exhale María charged in. 

I never lost internet (so credit cards work) and kept phone service with this one which has also been a huge plus.  I live in the mountains away from water so my house and car are dry.

Certainly many in PR had to be rescued due to flooding and landslides and many roads still impassable.

Below is one of two seedling Copernicia fallaensis from Mike Harris of Caribbean palms in Loxahatchee FL.

Both with Cuban genetics were also perfect and probably just appreciated all the extra water and now even more sun!

711A410D-CD1A-4E90-8AD0-FE6F5A0329C4.thumb.jpeg.4f1b2a9b3c4837cf5c65d1dfc9161651.jpeg

Back to clean up/rescue.

• Like 16
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Great to hear that you came through OK!  I was wondering how you were doing over there.  We're watching the disturbance just south of you now for possible entrance into the Gulf.  Interesting time of the year!  🙄

Jon Sunder

Cindy,

Glad to hear you came out good on this one. I was wondering how you fared? Looks like you are safe from 98L, but we will be watching closely over the coming week.

Cordata and Mapu look amazing! Very jealous of those.

Cindy hell with the palms 

glad you’re okay!

Worried about you …..

but glad the palms are okay too!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Cindy, glad to hear missed Fiona and that your palms are OK. Tim & I thought of you when the storm headed to PR. Looks like we may have Charley/Wilma/Irma deja vu with Hermione. Now we have to decide how to "get ready" right away before everyone else here gets a clue. Considering how many clueless Yankees have flooded in the past two years, it won't be pretty. 

Just another day in Paradise.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Cindy, glad to hear missed Fiona and that your palms are OK. Tim & I thought of you when the storm headed to PR. Looks like we may have Charley/Wilma/Irma deja vu with Hermione. Now we have to decide how to "get ready" right away before everyone else here gets a clue. Considering how many clueless Yankees have flooded in the past two years, it won't be pretty. 

Just another day in Paradise.

Be safe!

I'll help someone with earthquake panic out here, when the time comes.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Meg,  I have been too busy here trying to save trees, but did hear about the worries for SW FL. So sorry!

Sadly I know you have much experience with preparation so hope all goes well!

One day we will get power back but in the meantime more propane to be delivered tomorrow.

Long gas lines but not out for cars but I am happy to avoid them so far.

I am very happy to have scored new shadecloth (better than what I had before a big limb blew down from my neighbor’s place and tore it up). Amazingly  the one store with it was open AND the roads to get there were OK!

Cindy Adair

We all think of you when hurricanes approach PR. A big WHEW1

Oh man, that L. cordata………killer specimen.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Clean up ongoing.

Not surprisingly no electricity here yet, but with this sunset view just now from my house, I can’t complain.

My heart goes out to those hit by Ian!

32DDF43E-62B1-4EDB-BD00-EACD8C2B0800.thumb.jpeg.2ed85e668eeeaa91b845f36f89a09aa2.jpeg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

Good thing I have learned to allow extra time for surprises such as this big downed bamboo blocking my long driveway pre dawn on the way to go to the IPS Biennial.

D3A24789-82B3-4FA5-AA79-650876D182A0.thumb.jpeg.07efc5d28edf7e395a4476752a85542e.jpeg

As I had 15 minutes “extra” I just walked back to my house and grabbed a work shirt, gloves and my sawzall and went to work using my car headlights to see.

Still no power but hoping it will be back on by the time I return home.

I made MANY supports with pvc pipes over the last couple of weeks. 

Here’s a Beccariophoenix alfredii special to me as the seeds were gifted by Alfred himself in Madagascar. 

C9086DF0-4EC9-4DF6-9AB5-B55746585940.thumb.jpeg.e92088c3868724203c4fa06517be695f.jpeg

Very few palms needed help but others did not fare as well. Below is a volunteer white flowering Bauhinia that I had to chop severely. Notice the new growth already and the rhipsalis I tied on remaining. As this tree has survived a landslide I think it will live to bloom again.

24CE872F-972C-40EF-A2C2-AE6D24AA1D4D.thumb.jpeg.1a9c5b17019cac51170f202179217eb5.jpeg

My only mangosteen (grafted) in the ground needed help too. So slow from seed, but as they grow up eventually I will plant out more.

1C9B3F6E-DE14-409D-A1FF-5891AEEE125C.thumb.jpeg.9a56d853ce5f39701f6e1ee733e73ba4.jpeg

And last for now, before Fiona I had one little waterfall and now I have two!

• Like 3

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

my thoughts were with you when the storm that hit you showed up even on the news over here and I am glad that you are well! 

I am wishing you wonderful days at the Biennial and looking forward to see one or two pictures taken there...

Have a safe flight!

Lars

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up on this topic, Thanks to all who had been concerned about me and to those who posted about my many survivors. 

I was very glad to see Meg’s topic on her Ian attack and her perseverance!

I arrived back home to Puerto Rico late afternoon last Monday after 5 flights (over 26 hours of travel) which began in Hilo HI with a convenient shuttle to the airport (included in the Biennial cost).

I had heard that my little rural neighborhood’s power had been off and on but it was definitely off when I arrived. 

Happily it came back on two days later and so far so good! I have even stored my little, but excellent portable generator in the porch bathroom and hoping the cover can stay on!

I have seen no new hurricane related issues with my rescued plants although some new rhinoceros beetle attacks.

I heard that happens after the extra rain following a hurricane.

I am hoping for help as I was able to connect with the HI based CRB who is fighting the coconut beetle invasion in HI trying to at least keep this pest off the Big Island.

BB4C2614-6E5C-4F13-84D5-EA8980F8C490.thumb.png.214e49355a57a28002285ca40ff60bf1.png

See this topic if you want that whole story:

But I digress. 

What follows are a few more survivor photos. First my formerly nice volunteer white flowering Bauhina. Here is the chain sawed look I posted earlier as the tree was too heavy to prop up and blocking the path of my car. 

image.thumb.jpeg.14f80eae3832bbe5edcb8ce8d30db0e2.jpeg

And this is what it looks like now, only less than three weeks after the first photo.  Amazing!

2B9984CF-2837-4F09-9706-76FF5D9325CB.thumb.jpeg.ba9e6869bc941347f8dcc49d926b048f.jpeg

Next is a favorite grafted red apple cashew  that also seems to be determined to live.

This tree had exposed roots and had fallen down flush with the steep slope below. Thanks to the two very strong helpers and the improvised bamboo prop still in place!

C7911FA7-EEC9-49C0-9127-65968E12C549.thumb.jpeg.936de3fe41b217c8d0209254828011fa.jpeg

AB153AC7-CE9B-4E3E-8E27-4075315E5746.thumb.jpeg.843b76495ac161063eac21c121d139eb.jpeg

Well there is much left to do as you see a sample of remaining issues below. The photos don’t show the dangerous slope nor convey the full height of this invasive bamboo. But not an emergency so little by little I will clear the mess. 

952F95A6-03A6-4B72-B73F-7AB39939F8F3.thumb.jpeg.dcbeee985e2bc4402c2c2b54c91525a2.jpegC6513F31-49A8-4104-8C0D-64EE1A55EAC4.thumb.jpeg.a40509689bfb0eac6cb1bac148246e34.jpeg

In closing more survivors to celebrate upon my return from my wonderful HI adventure.

2FB24889-8E73-4981-BCFD-367488BB63F9.thumb.jpeg.74218e05fb2f2a58ff39d38e0d59c4a2.jpegCDC7D314-E8FF-45E1-9ACC-1E841D2EA5DF.thumb.jpeg.b03c0db7111b9c6083c1d6a13113031d.jpeg

I wish all those in recovery (from whatever 2022 environmental challenge) strength, positivity and patience.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair