IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID - Palm in a hotel garden in greece

Janni

Hi everybody,

Once I found a nursery  on crete, that promotes a large variety of tropical palms. Main customers of that nursery are Hotels. By searching on google, I found a very interesting picture, but cannot identify one of the palms. It is the palm in the middle of the photo with the thin bluish trunk. Can anybody help me?

Here is the link:  https://www.google.de/maps/place/Dedalos+Hotel/@35.2860228,25.459874,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNW48mC8SDCjpKrF15OvSNBGO6O38c6INNi66OM!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNW48mC8SDCjpKrF15OvSNBGO6O38c6INNi66OM%3Dw221-h100-k-no!7i4624!8i2084!4m8!3m7!1s0x0:0xe311ca2bebdecf9a!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d35.2860228!4d25.459874 

2 hours ago, Janni said:

Hi everybody,

Once I found a nursery  on crete, that promotes a large variety of tropical palms. Main customers of that nursery are Hotels. By searching on google, I found a very interesting picture, but cannot identify one of the palms. It is the palm in the middle of the photo with the thin bluish trunk. Can anybody help me?

Here is the link:  https://www.google.de/maps/place/Dedalos+Hotel/@35.2860228,25.459874,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNW48mC8SDCjpKrF15OvSNBGO6O38c6INNi66OM!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNW48mC8SDCjpKrF15OvSNBGO6O38c6INNi66OM%3Dw221-h100-k-no!7i4624!8i2084!4m8!3m7!1s0x0:0xe311ca2bebdecf9a!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d35.2860228!4d25.459874 

Are you referring to the one just to the right of the Chamaerops?  It looks like maybe Euterpe edulis or one of the solitary Ptychosperma?

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Are you referring to the one just to the right of the Chamaerops?  It looks like maybe Euterpe edulis or one of the solitary Ptychosperma?

Looks like a solitary chrysalidocarpus lutescens

16 hours ago, Fusca said:

Yes, that one. I think euterpe edulis might be the right guess. 

14 hours ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

Looks like a solitary chrysalidocarpus lutescens

The shape of the palm does really look like a solitary dypsis lutescens. But I don't think it is one, because of the bluish trunk. At least, I don't know of D. Lutescens with bluish trunks. I know of green, yellow and purple D. Lutescens trunks and/or crown shafts, but no blue.

I have to chuckle. $30 (or €30?) But still cheap. Listed as. 1* hotel. I've traveled a lot and a one-star in front of the ocean (+tropics) beats five-star in Chicago hands down!

• Like 1

D. Madagascariensis sounds like a good guess as well. 

btw, why are you both referring to the palms as chrysalidocarpus and not as dypsis? I thought dypsis is the newer name of the genus or did I miss something?

39 minutes ago, Janni said:

I thought dypsis is the newer name of the genus or did I miss something?

We kinda went back in time on that one. Lots of palms that were formerly Dypsis are now Chrysalidocarpus. If I remember correctly, Lutescens was labeled as Chrysalidocarpus in "Palms of the World" book by David L Jones. I had a laugh when first reading but now it all makes sense...I guess.

1 hour ago, Janni said:

D. Madagascariensis sounds like a good guess as well. 

btw, why are you both referring to the palms as chrysalidocarpus and not as dypsis? I thought dypsis is the newer name of the genus or did I miss something?

Reclassification. You need an update.

chrysalidocarpus lutescens    ( name changed back from dypsis ) for sure ... and many of them do have blue-ish trunks when the leaves first drop ..