IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cleaning up a Hyophorbe

Matt in OC

Has anyone ever cleaned up their Hyophorbe trunk with a sharp knife (thanks for the suggestion, Dale!)? As you can see, this has some pretty good size but has really not shed any of the leaf bases which are extremely hard. Should I carefully try to cut those off? I'm sure there's a beautiful trunk underneath there somewhere!

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Has anyone ever cleaned up their Hyophorbe trunk with a sharp knife (thanks for the suggestion, Dale!)? As you can see, this has some pretty good size but has really not shed any of the leaf bases which are extremely hard. Should I carefully try to cut those off? I'm sure there's a beautiful trunk underneath there somewhere!

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

Can be done, very carefully...   Knife / very sharp carpet knife worked well to remove the old boots / leaf bases when i cleaned up about a dozen or so neglected specimens at a similar size at a nursery i'd worked for in FL. years ago. Used hand pruners to get the bigger sections off first, then worked on the parts attached to the trunk w/ the carpet knife..  Took a couple hours but yes, there should be a nice trunk awaiting under there..  Sold through the ones i'd cleaned up pretty quickly after their "make over"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Small tin snips work very well for me.  Tough enough to do the job, and minimal damage to the trunk.  I use these…

201B321B-6E7E-4BB1-97BA-574C6A834AA0.thumb.jpeg.51fc464d0aa70294324d1a7a9b477ca7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Matt, Like a lot of palms, the leaf bases that accompany the first couple rings of trunk are pretty persistent.  When my spindle was about the size of yours, I carefully used nice sharp pruning shears and worked my way around the trunk.  After that,  they began separating like any crownshafted palm.  Often,  the ones above it will then pull off easily, as each leaf base was just being held on by the below it.  You gotta see the crown and trunk of Hyophorbes; that's where the beauty is. Yours is plenty big enough..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I used a pair of heavy dury shears to cut the smaller hairs, and strong pruners to cut the thick sections back to where I could snip around them.  A razor knife could work too, I just decided not to use one.  My Spindle out front with 5 feet of trunk is self cleaning.  

• Upvote 1

I’ve had this question for a while now. My Hyophorbes do not self clean. Yet i have seen plenty of spindle in my area that happily shed their old fronds but they have much more trunk. I’m guessing it is just an age thing?

Edited by ruskinPalms
Typos yet again…

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

On 9/22/2022 at 3:16 PM, Looking Glass said:

Small tin snips work very well for me.  Tough enough to do the job, and minimal damage to the trunk.  I use these…

201B321B-6E7E-4BB1-97BA-574C6A834AA0.thumb.jpeg.51fc464d0aa70294324d1a7a9b477ca7.jpeg

I will be buying some of these. Thanks!

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

45 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

I will be buying some of these. Thanks!

I just cut across the top to free things up, then trim along the trunk edge like a pair of scissors.  They are pretty beefy and cut through the tuff stuff easily.  They come in all sizes but these are the smallest.  You can get very close with no trunk damage except minor abrasions at most.   Went outside just now and cut this one off in 30 seconds for this post.  I've got 3 in pots out back, due for a 1st time trim.   I'll post the hack jobs maybe tomorrow if it doesn't rain.   

IMG_7273.thumb.jpg.0032dcd368876ed670896d5c4b882505.jpg

IMG_7276.thumb.jpg.8c8b94b4ef7b5db840ea6b445ff1f93c.jpg

IMG_7278.thumb.jpg.cecd652d0bf933401fcce9af3332707d.jpg

IMG_7280.thumb.jpg.582e1e5db7091796c1ddb232905ca349.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

@MerlynA serrated Cutco hunting knife. 😈

Yours looks great after the trim.   I know some people like the scruffy-trunk look on these, but I think they look really nice circumsized.   

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Yes. Must be careful circumcising these things (sorry couldn’t help it 😂). Very easy to damage the underlying flesh and introduce pathogens… I feel like the tin snips would cause the least harm. 

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

On 9/24/2022 at 8:02 AM, ruskinPalms said:

I’ve had this question for a while now. My Hyophorbes do not self clean. Yet i have seen plenty of spindle in my area that happily shed their old fronds but they have much more trunk. I’m guessing it is just an age thing?

I’ve noticed many palms don’t shed the lowest fronds attached to the trunk naturally but then start to further up the trunk. Of crownshafted palms, Hyophorbe and Dictyosperma come to mind. I think it’s the growth in diameter at a flared base that locks the leaf bases together, then as the palm grows with a relatively stable diameter they fall off easily. 

Many fan palms are good examples of this too. Old Livistona and Washingtonia specimens which have never been touched often have clean upper trunk but leaf bases attached closer to the ground. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.