IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How much space should I plan for "CORYPHA UMBRACULIFERA" Talipot Palm

PJP

I'm considering acquiring one of these palms and wanted to see how much space I need to plant.  Looking for some guidance on the footprint I need while this palm develops and starts to trunk.   I realize this will grow into a very large palm so I want to place it it the proper spot.  Thanks 

What is the maximum size of the intended planting area? These palms get incredibly massive and can eventually fill dinky standard lots in most FL housing developments. I have 0.61 ac now but my original 10,800 sf lot with house could never accommodate a full grown Corypha.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I think you should think about who will own the property in the future when it flowers and dies.  It will take a commercial tree trimming co. with cherry picker access to get rid of it once it dies.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

My notes on Umbraculifera are 20' diameter fans on 20' long petioles.  So figure a maximum diameter of around 60' or so.  Lecomtei is the smallest with around 10' diameter fans on 15-20' petioles.  They can all be trimmed up a bit when the fronds get close to horizontal, but those fronds are BIG and HEAVY.  There's some variation in size though, because some of the palms in full sun are significantly smaller.  This one from Palmpedia is approximately a 35' diameter crown:

https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/File:C9c03dz.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PJP said:

I'm fortunate to have 1.33 acres and I was planning on an area of 25' x 25' to accommodate this palm.

Not even close enough to house this palm. How about X4?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

7 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Not even close enough to house this palm. How about X4?

Whaaaaaat????? Really? I am closing on a half acre and was looking to plant something massive such as this or Attalea. Yikes!

48 minutes ago, James B said:

Whaaaaaat????? Really? I am closing on a half acre and was looking to plant something massive such as this or Attalea. Yikes!

Attalea is a lot easier, because they tend to grow very vertical.  The same goes for big ones like Arenga Pinnata.  There is an Arenga Pinnata at Leu Gardens with about a 6 foot diameter footprint and 40 foot tall fronds.  The same cannot be said for giant fan palms like Corypha and Tahina.

• Like 2