IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another palm to identify- furry looking multi headed with dinosaur skin trunk

K2HI

Another palm new to me. I don’t remember ever seeing these anywhere before, not even in Jeff and Suchin Marcus’ or Bo Lundkivist’s gardens here on Hawai’i Island. These are growing in the yard next door to Gene, where we bought some used nursery pots to help feed our plant addiction. Gene said the neighbor was from the Philippines, and that a lot of her plants were from the Philippines. Any ideas what these are?

1F0DE3DE-3CDE-42D7-A5BF-303D9F2D9EF1.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure I saw some of those in "Horton Hears a Who," or maybe it was the Lorax tree?  :D  I'd agree though, it looks like a couple of multiheaded Roebellini.  Maybe they trimmed the fronds to get the rounded shape, instead of the normal 6' long fronds draping down?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Look like roebeleniis. Do they have spines?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We didn’t check to see if they had spines. We thought the looked like Phoenix roebelenii but the fronds are short and it definitely looks multiheaded. We will have to go talk to the owner and find out more. She had some other cool plants in her yard- my photo was from the neighbor’s yard. I definitely agree with you Looking Glass, it is the coolest roebelenii I’ve ever seen!  I’ll report back when I find out more. Aloha 

@K2HI if they are just a single trunk head, then the frond shape and unusually huge trunk head is an awesome looking mutation.  I found somewhat similar photos at Jungle Music, scroll down to the "PECULIAR FORMS OF PHOENIX ROEBELENII" section in the middle.  They have unusually short leaves and a somewhat similar poof-ball top appearance.  Phil calls these "crested."

https://www.junglemusic.net/articles/The_Pygmy_Date_Palm/ThePygmyDatePalm.html

20 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I'm pretty sure I saw some of those in "Horton Hears a Who," or maybe it was the Lorax tree?  :D  I'd agree though, it looks like a couple of multiheaded Roebellini.  Maybe they trimmed the fronds to get the rounded shape, instead of the normal 6' long fronds draping down?

I second truffula trees diagnosis. Maybe truffula x roebelinii.

• Like 2