IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Monty

Gallop

Anyone else growing Butia x Monty (schizophylla x romanzoffiana) ? Would be interesting to compare. This plant has been in ground aprox 3yrs and appaers to be a strong grower. It’s seen temps to 20deg for several hours with moderate frost, no damge or leaf leaf burn.

6BA1B854-22BB-480E-9160-0D07F275D6FF.jpeg

CF36ECA7-08BF-4ABD-9589-DF770EC005FD.jpeg

• Like 7

Paul Gallop

I haven’t seen this cross before so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But that looks like straight up butia to me. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

That’s not the 1st time I’ve heard that. That’s one of the reasons I posted it. 

I’ve been watching the palm close for a couple of years and I feel it’s not pure butia. I could be wrong but I see a few things that are different.  

I also grew Butia x schiz for many years and most thought the same untill the palm got much larger. I’ll have to wait to see how this one ends up.

Edited by Gallop

Paul Gallop

I currently have this cross from Patric in the ground for about 4 months at a 3g. Grown from band size to this point. Since getting into the ground it really has started to move in growth. It's very blue and mule like so we shall see. @RJ I kinda see what your saying but it doesn't look any one particular butia to me. I would be happy with my palm looking like @Gallop at that stage. I'm not particularly fond of a normal mule myslef. 

T J 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

T J 

2 hours ago, RJ said:

I haven’t seen this cross before so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But that looks like straight up butia to me. 🤷‍♂️

I second this. I could be wrong, but it looks like 100% Butia.

9-12-2022

• Like 1

Emerald Isle, NC

USDA Zone 8B - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

Well this is a close call for me. I see a very few Butia here with a twist in the tips of the leaves, like yours but that could be common in other climates. The overall look is "airy" but that could be light exposure. The petiole looks smooth from the pics.  The trunk seems a little tall and thin for a pure Butia after 3 years in ground.  Time will tell.  Did it come from Patrick? If so I can vouch for his authenticity of product.  Of course the hybrids are all over the map and what may look like one thing today may look much different in a few years. 

Edited by Jeff zone 8 N.C.

Here is mine after 4 months in the ground. Hoping it turns out to be Prettier then a regular mule haha 

T J 

20220727_180734.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

T J 

@Jeff, Canada, 8b yes it came from Patrick. I belive there are Butia x monty that are blue and there are some that are green. I would assume the blue monty have more butia dna and the green more syagrus. I’m happy with my plant and will look to aquire the green form to grow for comparison. I believe in time the blue form will show nice characteristics. 

Paul Gallop

11 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Here is mine after 4 months in the ground. Hoping it turns out to be Prettier then a regular mule haha 

T J 

20220727_180734.jpg

Nice one TJ! It’ll put on some nice growth in the next few years.

Edited by Gallop

Paul Gallop

12 hours ago, Gallop said:

Nice one TJ! It’ll put on some nice growth in the next few years.

We're due for some maybe 9b or even 10a winters after Palmageddon :bemused: At this point all of my palms in the ground can easily be protected.

T J 

T J 

Nice to see you posting gallop!

how’s the butia x parajubaea?

Andwhat kind of little striped philodendron you got behind that palm? Those are cool.

I thought the mule looked like a butia too but I’m no expert by any means

14 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

Nice to see you posting gallop!

how’s the butia x parajubaea?

Andwhat kind of little striped philodendron you got behind that palm? Those are cool.

I thought the mule looked like a butia too but I’m no expert by any means

Hey Chad,

I think your talking about Calocasia “Pharos Mask” it’s a nice looking hybrid and a strong grower. I have them planted in several areas in the yard. The plants in more shade do better than the ones in dryer/ sunny areas. The plants in pic don’t look the best, it’s a dry sunny area. 

I sold my collection when I put the house up for sale. We later decided not to sale, so I started replanting. I did keep a few large plants in the ground. One of those had a lost tag. I contacted the expert to verify and he says it’s BXP Tor.  I’d be really interested in seeing yours for comparison.

705A5D14-EF8D-47C8-A2CB-E58074243A71.jpeg

EBBEB617-2976-4017-A6E4-2539E63A981B.jpeg

404CA96B-4815-4E40-AB99-BB7BC67D7C64.jpeg

22644A78-8E31-4415-97C4-BD705F86BD5D.jpeg

• Like 8

Paul Gallop

Do not know if that is a BXP Tor. or not but it looks right for one. It's a very nice palm that I would not leave behind if I sold my house.

4 hours ago, Gallop said:

I contacted the expert to verify and he says it’s BXP Tor.  I’d be really interested in seeing yours for comparison.

Wow where has this palm been hiding. I could be wrong but that has to be the largest BxPJT. How long has this palm been in the ground? This has me extremely excited for the future of mine :drool:How long has Patric been making this hybrid ? 

T J 

T J 

It came from Patricks 1st batch if I remember correctly. I’ll have to dig in my notes to get the year I purchased. I grew in a pot awhile then put in ground in July 2014. It’s a large palm. You have to see it in person to appreciate the size. 

Edited by Gallop

Paul Gallop

59 minutes ago, Gallop said:

It came from Patricks 1st batch if I remember correctly. I’ll have to dig in my notes to get the year I purchased. I grew in a pot awhile then put in ground in July 2014. It’s a large palm. You have to see it in person to appreciate the size. 

Was he making bxpjT back then? It might be a bxpjc….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gallop said:

It’s a large palm. You have to see it in person to appreciate the size

I can appreciate just from the pics , it's an absolute knock out specimen. @RJyou said BxPJT would be as good or better then JxS and I believe your right with Gallops specimen. Still alot of variables out of mules but I like my chances. 

T J 

T J 

Gallop is very sneaky like that. I bet he has several other palms that would blow all of us away.

that torallyi hybrid is unreal!

I’ll get a pic of my hybrids and post

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 1:46 AM, Gallop said:

Hey Chad,

I think your talking about Calocasia “Pharos Mask” it’s a nice looking hybrid and a strong grower. I have them planted in several areas in the yard. The plants in more shade do better than the ones in dryer/ sunny areas. The plants in pic don’t look the best, it’s a dry sunny area. 

I sold my collection when I put the house up for sale. We later decided not to sale, so I started replanting. I did keep a few large plants in the ground. One of those had a lost tag. I contacted the expert to verify and he says it’s BXP Tor.  I’d be really interested in seeing yours for comparison.

705A5D14-EF8D-47C8-A2CB-E58074243A71.jpeg

EBBEB617-2976-4017-A6E4-2539E63A981B.jpeg

404CA96B-4815-4E40-AB99-BB7BC67D7C64.jpeg

22644A78-8E31-4415-97C4-BD705F86BD5D.jpeg

Paul, it looks like that hybrid has more

of a butia sized trunk is that accurate?

I might replace my 2 b alfredii with that hybrid if they don’t make it

@Tropicdoc Your palms are looking great and getting big. Which one is which ? I also have a Alfie that is in a prominent spot that if it fails will be replaced with a Patric hybrid. 

T J 

T J 

21051827-9A64-40A8-B3C0-10DCD1653B3F.thumb.jpeg.511679c0abb52ef4500960fc78255525.jpeg3D05E34C-C029-43A4-BC63-0167C9D61CEB.thumb.jpeg.303f35bf605b4a7ef56802c48b11eb88.jpegChad, 

Nice looking palms. Are yours BxPJC? I remember mine looking like that. 

As I mentioned the tag on mine was lost and I do not want to miss lead anyone. I had planted several hybrids from Patick around that time.  Patrick mentioned he likley had BxPJ Tor then but wasn’t positive about selling any in that time frame. The expert (although not postive ) thought it could be Bx Pjt or BxPjc, leaning more towards Bx Pjt. The other possibility we think is BJxBQ? 

When the palm flowers again I’ll count the stemens to try to narrow it down. 

Any help or thoughts from the folks on this forum would be appreciated. 

I took a couple pics of trunk for you Chad, the sandals in pic are my wives size 9. 

• Like 1

Paul Gallop

All of mine are b x pjc 

I have 4 of them

paul your palm looks like dick Douglas b x pjc (butia odorata)

cool thing about yours is the thick green petioles and droopy leaflets 

mine are butia paraguayensis which based on this forum has thinner trunk and stiffer leaflets (see Alberto)

46 minutes ago, Tropicdoc said:

All of mine are b x pjc 

I have 4 of them

paul your palm looks like dick Douglas b x pjc (butia odorata)

cool thing about yours is the thick green petioles and droopy leaflets 

mine are butia paraguayensis which based on this forum has thinner trunk and stiffer leaflets (see Alberto)

Interesting you say that, I was told there was a palm that looked like mine in California. I haven’t seen the pictures so I have not mentioned it. Thanks for the information. 

Paul Gallop

3 hours ago, Gallop said:

Interesting you say that, I was told there was a palm that looked like mine in California. I haven’t seen the pictures so I have not mentioned it. Thanks for the information. 

Agree it looks like Dick’s palm, which is why I thought it might be bxpjc 

So if @Gallop BxPJ turns out to be C then the verdict is still out on what BxPJT will turn out to be. I didnt have much faith in BxPJC surviving in my climate, even tho I figured it would be the best looking of the 3. 

T J 

T J 

6 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

pride possessed me to post one of the hybrids in its environment.

You should be proud of it , gorgeous palm.

T J 

T J 

On 9/20/2022 at 2:16 PM, Tropicdoc said:

Here’s a link to pictures not sure if it works 

Thanks, for the link.  Your palms are looking great Chad!

Paul Gallop