IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

“Beast” Trachycarpus - none better anywhere.

Chester B

There was a nice 20 footer on my street that survived below 0F in February 2021. Unfortunately, the house was sold and the new occupants removed the palm. :(

Oak trees provided the palm with sun protection to the south and west, which I think is why that particular Trachycarpus thrived.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:00 PM, Chester B said:

I call this one “The Beast”. Probably the best looking representative of the species. Found in the Mississippi neighborhood here in Portland. The tree originally came from the famed plantsman Sean Hogan. Apparently the owner is an elderly lady who does zero for this palm. I think it’s tapped into some sort of reliable water supply perhaps a leaky water or sewer pipe. Enjoy!

I need a soil sample! Obviously in a hot southern climate here, they use up minerals quickly thus losing leaves quickly, but as a scientist I would be thrilled to know what makes it so exceptional so we can learn something to pass on to others.

Is that a pinkish purple Hydrangea by the steps? If so soil is neutral. The bare ground also looks black. But don’t know the other plants nearby for clues.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

7 hours ago, amh said:

There was a nice 20 footer on my street that survived below 0F in February 2021. Unfortunately, the house was sold and the new occupants removed the palm. :(

Oak trees provided the palm with sun protection to the south and west, which I think is why that particular Trachycarpus thrived.

I have never seen a trachy in my part of town planted small get to more than 6Ft before dead. In my local neighborhood same goes for butia. It’s a real bummer. In slightly different soil they live a little longer.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

I have never seen a trachy in my part of town planted small get to more than 6Ft before dead. In my local neighborhood same goes for butia. It’s a real bummer. In slightly different soil they live a little longer.

I think the filtered sunlight helps, but the soil in my area is fairly deep and isn't too alkaline or salty.

I just checked a USDA map and the soil is listed as SUNEV.

Edited by amh

Thought I'd post this vid up for anyone interested. These grow quite comfortably in many coastal regions of British Columbia. I recall when many of these where planted and the story behind that effort.

• Like 4

Saw these from today.. not the best but there must be at least 10 of them... we have the same problems as Collectorpalms has with soil and water just a lesser extent...still bad enough.. The other cool thing about smaller palms.. is you can definitely overplant!

20220924_125827.jpg

20220924_125810.jpg

20220924_125754.jpg

• Like 5

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

On 9/19/2022 at 12:37 AM, Collectorpalms said:

I empty my used coffee grounds near the base of mine. I am very, very alkaline, water and soil.  That's it, my only addition. Not much either, like a Keurig cup or so every other day or so.

16640522160384043555229609544425.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 1:13 PM, Las Palmas Norte said:

Found another one on Zillow. These where poorly placed and will have to be moved. Some folks don't understand the eventual height of many palm trees.

Not limited to palms. I see pine trees planted under power lines by landscapers.

Zillow-BlaineWA.png

On 9/16/2022 at 4:34 PM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Perfect Trachies in Austin. Sadly it looks like a new owner bought house and chopped both down 

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 3.32.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 3.33.17 PM.png

GORGEOUS!!! The best one I've seen.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2022 at 11:40 PM, Chester B said:

I’m convinced that we have the ideal climate for Fortunei. I see so many amazing examples of the species but this one is something else. 

I saw some monsters up against a building in LA. At first I mistook them for Trithrinax, they were so big! 

• Like 1