IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cone-tainer Roots Growing Out of Bottom - Is this a problem?

floridaPalmMan

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but almost all of these germinated seeds have roots coming out of the bottom of these cone-tainers.

Bizzy:

16623033381805035479739919573230.thumb.jpg.df4b11564aac192c53ac410ac60e7c39.jpg

S. Schizo:

16623033898861323816914668573191.thumb.jpg.59279cb35c90272f5f273ca70b4e677b.jpg

What's weird is that they haven't even pushed through the surface yet.

16623033033566370160478506983167.thumb.jpg.14a6096f83b0b7b57e0a11b9a008843b.jpg

Should I up pot them already?

They can be moved from the 8" to the 11" cones if I have to but can that really be necessary before they've even put out a strap leaf?

16623035352232284173837420734784.thumb.jpg.e5d6595c7b09252c6ab8f18e584f1fe4.jpg

I think the bismarckia need to be in at least 16” tall pots to allow the main root to do its thing. They are remote germinators so the leaf comes off the root not off the seed. They are very root sensitive and the roots are fragile. For those I would get some tall tree pots Stewe makes some. If you dont want the cost and hassle getting those you can double up some tall 1 gal pots and just cut the bottom out of the top one. That should give you about 16-18”. 
I’ve never grown Syagrus schizophylla from seed but the other Syagrus seem to be tolerant of air root pruning. I had a Romanzoffiana in a small cone for over a year and it just kept air pruning and looked very healthy. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What i did with my bizzy whenever it germinated was i took some 2 liter mtn dew bottles, cut the tops off both, drill some drain holes in the bottom of one and cut the bottom off of the other, then taped them together. It worked just fine for me, but beware that they like to fall over because they're so tall.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I’ve had the same problem with nannhhorhops. 2 tiny strap leaves and roots out the bottom of a tall liner pot. I think I saw someone post about making their own deep pots out of cut pieces of pvc…..

I suggest you put a little leca at the bottom of your pots. This will allow water to drain freely but make it less likely for roots to find their way out the holes; instead they will just grow in circles around the bottom of the pot. You certainly can grow remote germinators in pots that are nowhere near deep enough, but you need to keep the end of the root in the medium at all times. The same is true for things like Welwitschia, which is extremely root-sensitive and has a tap root that grows down yards into the ground; the only way to grow it in a pot is make it grow in circles.

I'd re-pot the ones growing out of the holes, but make the holes harder to get at in your deeper pots.