NC , Trachycarpus fortunei

BigBilly

On 9/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, MrTropical said:

Very nice palm there. Looks great.

I've been told that there is an individual in Wilkesboro, about 45 minutes north of Statesville, that has a Trachy. Never been able to locate it though. Would be neat to see one in an NC Zone 7A.

Can't wait for my T. Fortunei to get big enough to plant here in the mountains, and I'm ready to protect it at all costs when that time comes. 🤣

I grew up in Wilkes and there is a cemetery off highway 18. A good bit of my kin is buried there so I do visit often. The palm is located near a brick house on that road. Can’t remember exactly, but it looked fine the last time I visited.

The roads in that county are quite confusing and twisty. There may be another one in cricket behind David’s produce but can’t remember exactly where.

• Like 2

Also, when I grew up there it did reach single digits and one year we received almost 3’ of snow. And some years maybe snow flurries in the 20’s. Wilkesboro has wild swings in weather. 14 and snowing then 3 days latter…upper 60’s and sun.

for the spring, no frost for 30+ days in March-April, mid May shoot down to 28 , heavy frost and wipe out back yard gardens.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 10:54 PM, D Palm said:

I grew up in Wilkes and there is a cemetery off highway 18. A good bit of my kin is buried there so I do visit often. The palm is located near a brick house on that road. Can’t remember exactly, but it looked fine the last time I visited.

The roads in that county are quite confusing and twisty. There may be another one in cricket behind David’s produce but can’t remember exactly where.

Oh wow, thanks for that information! I'll have to look into those!

8-10-2023

North Carolina - Zone 9A. Humid Subtropical Climate (CFA). Elevation - 8ft.