IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Growing Season 22/23

Tyrone

7 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

Been reasonably good growing temps here and the 75l chathams nikau in particular are powering along into their second spear of the summer. One is opening up looking like it was eaten by something. Doesn't seem to bother it otherwise but this frond will look a funky as a result. 

Looks like that could be some sort of caterpillar damage,  Leaf rolling moth larvae are always chewing new growth on my palms and fruit trees. Hard to stop them.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PalmCode said:

Looks like that could be some sort of caterpillar damage,  Leaf rolling moth larvae are always chewing new growth on my palms and fruit trees. Hard to stop them.

That was my thought too. Leafrollers are a dime a dozen here on my fruit and berry plants and can be a fatal threat to very young/small seedlings if I fail to notice them in time. I've Never seen them attack palms before but I guess there aren't to many laying around on offer for them yet, and millionaires salad was irresistable.  I'm intrested to see how this frond turns out once open.  

Edited by Phil Petersen
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

22c here today, with an hour or so of rain, after about a week of no rain other than just a few spits. Hoping for some more dry weather next month.

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2023 at 6:56 AM, Phil Petersen said:

That was my thought too. Leafrollers are a dime a dozen here on my fruit and berry plants and can be a fatal threat to very young/small seedlings if I fail to notice them in time. I've Never seen them attack palms before but I guess there aren't to many laying around on offer for them yet, and millionaires salad was irresistable.  I'm intrested to see how this frond turns out once open.  

I don’t think we get leaf rollers in my area. I’ve never seen them. We used to get palm dart moth here. The caterpillars stitch the palm leaflets together and eat them out from the inside of their protected area. Once theyve eaten it they do the same to the next and make a mess of a leaf. But since last winters mega freeze event, I think they’ve been wiped out in my area which is great. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yesterday was a warm and sunny day without gusty winds. It got to 27C. Good growing weather. Today is cooler and the clouds have rolled in. We’ve just had some light drizzle and going for a mild 20C. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:25 PM, Tyrone said:

I don’t think we get leaf rollers in my area. I’ve never seen them. We used to get palm dart moth here. The caterpillars stitch the palm leaflets together and eat them out from the inside of their protected area. Once theyve eaten it they do the same to the next and make a mess of a leaf. But since last winters mega freeze event, I think they’ve been wiped out in my area which is great. 

Hopefully no palm dart moths survived by huddling around the small fires you had below the frost fans 😂

Forecast is showing 24-26deg highs all next week here in Dunedin with 16 being the lowest overnight low.  Sea surface temperatures are way above average with Fiordland recording 22deg last week. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Phil Petersen said:

Hopefully no palm dart moths survived by huddling around the small fires you had below the frost fans 😂

Forecast is showing 24-26deg highs all next week here in Dunedin with 16 being the lowest overnight low.  Sea surface temperatures are way above average with Fiordland recording 22deg last week. 

That’s some nice warm weather. I think the tropics have sort of warped to the south a bit more than usual in the sw pacific region. The 10 day accumulated rainfall totals in the north island look sort of monsoonal with the Auckland area expecting about 130mm of rain. Over here in southern WA it’s our dry, but irrigation fixes that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tyrone said:

That’s some nice warm weather. I think the tropics have sort of warped to the south a bit more than usual in the sw pacific region. The 10 day accumulated rainfall totals in the north island look sort of monsoonal with the Auckland area expecting about 130mm of rain. Over here in southern WA it’s our dry, but irrigation fixes that. 

Try 130mm in a day, and that's the areas that got off lightly , serious situation unfolding up there as I write this.  So far nothing dangerous here, only had 30mm. 

4 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Try 130mm in a day, and that's the areas that got off lightly , serious situation unfolding up there as I write this.  So far nothing dangerous here, only had 30mm. 

That’s seriously monsoonal rainfall stuff. The north island will be really green then with all that rain. 

Just took a look online and Auckland in parts has already had 400mm of rain today!!

Incredible rainfall for an area outside the tropics. They’re saying more rain to come too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Just took a look online and Auckland in parts has already had 400mm of rain today!!

Incredible rainfall for an area outside the tropics. They’re saying more rain to come too. 

That's only 100mm off the annual rainfall here and that fell in a day! There must be lots of floods there. Hopefully there isn't lots of damaged in Auckland.

Edited by Foxpalms

6 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

That's only 100mm off the annual rainfall here and that fell in a day! There must be lots of floods there. Hopefully there isn't lots of damaged in Auckland.

Lots of damage, a handful of fatalities. Some urban stations at near sea level got nearly 300mm.

Screenshot_20230128_103332.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Those are crazy figures! I only had 26mm of rainfall across the entire summer season (3 months) last year. 71mm in one hour is just madness, let alone 300+ mm in 24 hours. It's sad to hear that some people have died during this weather event.

I have seen quite a few videos doing the rounds online. Goodness me...

Fnd-eL_aYAA-NF0.thumb.jpg.576b8ed89f20860572a5cf16ee496be0.jpg

Fnd78RpaUAEW3q7.jpg.5875fb241f088d22c1b76eb06e77ef3b.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Wow. Real sad there have been fatalities. This sort of thing looks similar to the east coast Australia floods. This has been a La Niña for the record books. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Wow. Real sad there have been fatalities. This sort of thing looks similar to the east coast Australia floods. This has been a La Niña for the record books. 

Definitely, over 40c here last summer and the hottest year on record. However even though el nino doesn't affect us as much it usually does mean slightly warmer coniditons, so the metoffice has predicted 2023-2025 is supposedly going to be warm here especially in 2024 and 2025. This year is still supposed to have a high chance being the hottest and at least one of the warmest. Record breaking rainfall though isn't a good record to break. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

I bet Australia and NZ will get the exact reverse of all this next summer under the influence of a strong El-Nino. So record heat, droughts and fires again like in 2019/20. You guys seem to go from one extreme to the other as much as anyone. Either baking hot and bone dry with fires, or it's a mild, wet, proper wash-out with floods. 

ENSO is likely going to trend neutral by March and then probably El-Nino conditions by July-August. It would likely reach peak strength around this time next year during your summer and you would expect El-Nino to maintain for about 6-12 months at least before possibly going neutral again. It might not be neutral again until next March-April.

So expect the polar opposite next summer. ENSO trending from neutral into El-Nino also usually brings baking hot summers to western Europe and eastern USA as well as erratic rainfall. The previous UK record max of 38.7C was set in July 2019 under those conditions, before last summer's 40C. Certainly worth keeping an eye on the ENSO in coming months.

• Like 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I bet Australia and NZ will get the exact reverse of all this next summer under the influence of a strong El-Nino. So record heat, droughts and fires again like in 2019/20. You guys seem to go from one extreme to the other as much as anyone. Either baking hot and bone dry with fires, or it's a mild, wet, proper wash-out with floods. 

ENSO is likely going to trend neutral by March and then probably El-Nino conditions by July-August. It would likely reach peak strength around this time next year during your summer and you would expect El-Nino to maintain for about 6-12 months at least before possibly going neutral again. It might not be neutral again until next March-April.

So expect the polar opposite next summer. ENSO trending from neutral into El-Nino also usually brings baking hot summers to western Europe and eastern USA as well as erratic rainfall. The previous UK record max of 38.7C was set in July 2019 under those conditions, before last summer's 40C. Certainly worth keeping an eye on the ENSO in coming months.

Here in the west of Australia it’s often the opposite of the east coast. It’s not quite as simple as that, but a La Niña event in the east brings dry to the west. An El Niño in the east will likely bring wet to the west, especially if we have a favourable Indian Ocean dipole and the Southern Annular Mode lines up right. So right now in the west it’s as dry as a chip, but I’m not complaining as my irrigation works well. We did have extreme cold last winter that most likely was a record for maybe 50 years. So far summer has been mild with no heatwaves like last year. I think summer record heat can transform into winter record cold. I’m hoping we have a mild average non eventful winter this time round. 

In regards to the Auckland flooding, I hope it calms down over there soon and people can start the recovery process. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Here in the west of Australia it’s often the opposite of the east coast. It’s not quite as simple as that, but a La Niña event in the east brings dry to the west. An El Niño in the east will likely bring wet to the west, especially if we have a favourable Indian Ocean dipole and the Southern Annular Mode lines up right. So right now in the west it’s as dry as a chip, but I’m not complaining as my irrigation works well. We did have extreme cold last winter that most likely was a record for maybe 50 years. So far summer has been mild with no heatwaves like last year. I think summer record heat can transform into winter record cold. I’m hoping we have a mild average non eventful winter this time round. 

In regards to the Auckland flooding, I hope it calms down over there soon and people can start the recovery process. 

How much rainfall have you guys had there in Albany this summer so far? Just curious if you are under a 'dry' setup in WA due to La Nina.

51 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

How much rainfall have you guys had there in Albany this summer so far? Just curious if you are under a 'dry' setup in WA due to La Nina.

Just under 9mm. It’s dry. We should have had 45 to 50mm by now. 

Well that was a shocking lot of rain, in such a short period .Lots of damages.  The river here flooded worse than the big one we had in 1905, apparently.

IMG_20230127_203417a.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Yeah thats pretty dry. What has Sydney had in comparison? 250mm or something this summer already? Their rainfall has dropped off a bit in recent months though as La Nina starts to wind down again. Still a pretty wet summer so far for them. Probably more to come but it should keep tapering off now.

Also parts of Indonesia have been hit even worse than Auckland over the past few days. A place called Manado has been especially badly hit. 400mm+ of rain in 24 hours. Likely also the result of the La Nina ENSO cycle too. Something tells me this won't be the last flood event either for the region.

FIZDBGAWQAAvId-.jpg.f409461e4725f590998326afae44c4a2.jpg

FIZDAt-XsAIj1fq.jpg.8be1dfb20a0f007abf90641eb8aa58db.jpg

FndNKW6aMAAE-0g.thumb.jpg.3900fe8dff6a5395517bbfe5304028cc.jpg

FnkAhmTaUAAxDKq.thumb.jpg.e691e9c47590759a120f78c228aab8d6.jpg

Fneu5bgaYAMGJDb.jpg.b6823ed2ae19a9b394396026879416d4.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms

2 hours ago, PalmCode said:

Well that was a shocking lot of rain, in such a short period .Lots of damages.  The river here flooded worse than the big one we had in 1905, apparently.

IMG_20230127_203417a.jpg

That’s some impressive flooding. Hopefully it dries out for you soon. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:24 AM, PalmCode said:

Shocking to see all the damage and to hear about the 4 deaths in Auckland. We need some precipitation down south here so hopefully it gets spread around more evenly over the rest of summer.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

Shocking to see all the damage and to hear about the 4 deaths in Auckland. We need some precipitation down south here so hopefully it gets spread around more evenly over the rest of summer.

I think the west coast of the South Island is expecting some good rain but I’m not sure if it will make it to the east coast where you are. You’re probably in the benign zone of NZ much like the south coast of Western Australia. Just mild with very little happening. 

My place has had 3.8mm of rain for January. The driest since 2017. Weatherzone was saying how dry Melbourne and Hobart were in Jan but they were wet in comparison with 20.4mm and 11.0mm. However the air hasn’t been dry. It’s been quite humid at times. 

How are things going for you guys in NZ? I saw another weather system moved through earlier today, but the weather appears to be clearing up a bit according to reports.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

How are things going for you guys in NZ? I saw another weather system moved through earlier today, but the weather appears to be clearing up a bit according to reports.

Assuming you are wanting to know re Auckland/Northland. I think they are still copping rain unfortunately. Hoping very much there are no more deaths, and little more damage. Massive clean ups needed up there. 

Down here in Dunedin im almost feeling guilty with the warm weather we are getting. The recent warm spell seems to be peaking in the next few days. 

Screenshot_20230201-213610_MetService.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Its was patchy rain here from 10pm  last night through to about 10am today, with some heavy downpours in the mix .Probably around 30mm. Thankfully nothing to damaging came from that. Then it cleared up and the sun came back out in the arvo helping to dry things .  

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Phil Petersen said:

Assuming you are wanting to know re Auckland/Northland. I think they are still copping rain unfortunately. Hoping very much there are no more deaths, and little more damage. Massive clean ups needed up there. 

Down here in Dunedin im almost feeling guilty with the warm weather we are getting. The recent warm spell seems to be peaking in the next few days. 

Screenshot_20230201-213610_MetService.jpg

That’s balmy weather for your latitude. Warmer than here. Next week warms up for my area. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:39 PM, Tyrone said:

That’s balmy weather for your latitude. Warmer than here. Next week warms up for my area. 

Almost as hot as it gets here. Meant to cool down a bit after Monday 👍

20230202_122853.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Didn't drop below 20.3 overnight, until last summer had not ever recorded a >20C overnight low. Yesterday hit 28C with only a few hours of sun mid afternoon. Looks like quite a pattern change next week, even seeing a SWetr which has not been seen for a while.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Didn't drop below 20.3 overnight, until last summer had not ever recorded a >20C overnight low. Yesterday hit 28C with only a few hours of sun mid afternoon. Looks like quite a pattern change next week, even seeing a SWetr which has not been seen for a while.

It's certainly hot all over NZ atm. The official low temp overnight here was 21.1. Possibly same again tonight. Looking forward to a nice cool SWr to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, cbmnz said:

I’ve never recorded a min that high in 9 years here. 

18 hours ago, PalmCode said:

Bring on that SW wind change. That will be refreshing.

The humidity will drop a bit too, with air coming from closer to Antarctica. The Australian alps has just experienced some snow from the same cold blast. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I’ve never recorded a min that high in 9 years here. 

Me neither until last Sumner. The "off the scale" night was on 12/13 Feb 2022 when it was 25.3 at 3am, if you count "overnight" as ending at 9am, low was 21.7.   Reached 30.0 here today when it somewhat unexpectedly cleared in the afternoon. Still on 22.1 at 10:30pm, could be another >20C night.  Have not dipped into single figures since Dec 4th, maybe later this week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/29/2023 at 4:10 AM, Tyrone said:

Do you water in Summer there, or property too large, not practical?

4 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Do you water in Summer there, or property too large, not practical?

Yes, I irrigate all garden beds with an outlet on every plant. I never water the lawn. I’ve got plenty of water here and probably use around a km of pipework at a guess. It certainly helps during these dry periods, which don’t happen every summer like this. 

• Like 1