IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID Help

Cayman1

Can anyone assist in identifying these 2 palms. We just purchased a house that had them in the screen pool area. They look like they need some extra love, so starting off by trying to determine what they are.

If you can see the condition and recommend a treatment, that's helpful as well.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4083.jpg

• Upvote 1

Majesties like lots of water and fertilizer. They actually don't look bad at all from here. Congratulations on the new house. 

I gave them all a very small amount of my Florikan CRF 8-2-12 palm blend. I didn’t want to give them too much, because I wasn’t sure if it would do more harm than good. 

First picture is the Christmas palm and then second is the Majesty palm. Thoughts? 

0125E566-D14B-4D70-9E2D-5271C7B982A0.jpeg

67C7FE45-1068-474A-841B-09D4EE5D48A9.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

I gave them all a very small amount of my Florikan CRF 8-2-12 palm blend. I didn’t want to give them too much, because I wasn’t sure if it would do more harm than good. 

First picture is the Christmas palm and then second is the Majesty palm. Thoughts? 

Do all the fronds look like that or just the lowest/oldest ones? Also if they were neglected for a while that could be it. I'm just spitballing, but a hot summer w/o regular water? There's lots of people more educated than me on here. 

40 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

Could be some normal transplant shock, nothing to worry about.

45 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

Thank you both. Should I use the Florikan on them or something else?  Maybe a liquid?

I can't answer that. I know nothing about Florikan or the soil or your climate. I personally use all kinds of crap on my potted palms because I don't know what I'm doing. I use Carl Pool slow release, Jobes organic palm food, and I mix what I call Stink Water every other watering. It's Alaska fish emulsion and SuperThrive. I also added some seaweed/humic acid this past week and it's now Violent Stink. It smells like a Taco Bell dumpster caught c.diff. 

Learning curve and I'm a casual. 

• Like 1

I also put dead leaf bases from my Chamaedorea Seifrizii clump sometimes because they produce a lot of fronds and they're fast palms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 9:01 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

It smells like a Taco Bell dumpster caught c.diff.

ROFLMFAO! :floor2:  That's a major reason I don't use fish emulsion.  I'd rather use synthetics than wander around my yard wondering where the dead possums were hiding...

As far as fertilizer goes, the dead spots in the leaves look like a potassium deficiency, and the general "light green" color is typical of nitrogen deficiencies.  I'd think any controlled-release palm fertilizer should do fine.  I use Osmocote in my nursery area pots, but I think the Florikan "CRF" type is the polymer beads with controlled release timing based on temperature/water/etc.  That's probably a good choice.  The only ones to definitely avoid (especially in pots) are granular fast release types. 

• Upvote 1