IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Here we go again

NWpalms@206

Carted this heavy beast home yesterday… think I have a spot picked but watching the sun today to see when it’s shades it out. May need more sun but we’ll see. Back to moving rocks and digging. 

D44A0B42-D148-4AD8-BD8B-91FB0595F2B4.jpeg

3D72DB9C-8477-4C00-AA8F-A26D816CC330.jpeg

FC2A1FD7-F036-4B30-BC3D-056396507A99.jpeg

ED3F4EB8-3ADD-4507-9255-303CD19ED474.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 3

It was hard to find them as big or nice as that back in the day when I lived near Corvallis (early 2000’s).  And I went down to Northern California quite a bit to look.  Is that where you found this one?  The one I have in my Louisiana yard now was purchased as small 3-gallon at an Oregon Rite-Aid pharmacy of all places!

Edited by ryjohn
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A very beautiful palm you have there.

• Like 1

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

USDA Zone 8B/9A - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

Count me as very jealous!  Nice pick up!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, ryjohn said:

It was hard to find them as big or nice as that back in the day when I lived near Corvallis (early 2000’s).  And I went down to Northern California quite a bit to look.  Is that where you found this one?  The one I have in my Louisiana yard now was purchased as small 3-gallon at an Oregon Rite-Aid pharmacy of all places!

This was actually transported from San Diego Mission Bay area. They’re hard to find this size north of southern Oregon. There’s a few 24” box jubaeas here and there around the PNW area, but they’re not this big. Its really root bound and splitting out of the 30g pot it’s in, it could have probably been in 48” box with some room to grow. But that makes shipping a lot harder kinda glad it’s under potted. It’ll stretch it’s roots in the ground now!

How old is the Palm.  To me it looks like it is around 20 years old plus or minus judging from the size of the fronds.  At this age and in a sunny spot it should start taking off with bigger and bigger fronds each year. 

Looks amazing!!!! I'm sure it's already planted but this website is pretty cool for seeing where the sun starts and where it sets and allows you to see the sun location across your yard

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Very nice! I am assuming Jubaea or Jubaea X.  In any case I am envious. LOL.

This one is pure Jub, but I do have JxQ and JxB as well and of course the highly praised Yatay x Jub which seems to be a favorite of many. 

18 hours ago, Banana Belt said:

How old is the Palm.  To me it looks like it is around 20 years old plus or minus judging from the size of the fronds.  At this age and in a sunny spot it should start taking off with bigger and bigger fronds each year. 

I’d guess around 20 also. Hoping to really see some growth in the next 3 yrs. I planted another about this size a few months ago and it’s pushed 3 fronds out already. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I’d guess around 20 also. Hoping to really see some growth in the next 3 yrs. I planted another about this size a few months ago and it’s pushed 3 fronds out already. 

There is nothing like a "Pure Jub", absolutely true.  Like a coconut palm pure Jub's have a smooth trunk with diamond shaped patterns where the fronds fell off.  By the way have you heard of anyone crossing and Jubaea with a Coconut Palm?  Is it even possible?

Your new palm will love being in the ground especially for the winter rains coming.  It can spread its roots in next 12 months and then at 21 Plus years old it will grow larger and larger fronds, reaching up and then out as the base of trunk swells in size.  A rapid increase in size of new leaves and swelling at the trunk is prelude to the trunk starting to take off verticle.  It can take 25 or so years for a Jubaea to grow several feet tall, but once the leaves are long and big enough with swelled up trunk it takes off verticle growing 1.5 to 2 feet verticle each year thereafter. 

In ten or twenty years your Jubaea will be amazing and tall, one warning at that time is falling fronds during summer.  The fronds off Jubaea with trunks are very heavy and if they should fall on someone it could cause serious injury.  I watch and pull gently on all fronds or my Jubaea that are turning brown before they fall and hurt someone.  You have heard of falling Coconuts and how dangerous they can be, but a falling frond off a Jubaea is many times worse.  Fronds off my 15 foot trunked Jubaea weigh about 30 lbs, and when they hit the ground the ground shakes with a big thump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanK said:

I'd buy one if I were a toddler, also.

Haha, Teddy my son is my palm tree assistant, hes only 3 and already loves palms. If we can keep it alive hell be the one sitting under a monster someday.

• Like 2

Got it done today. Praying for long sunny fall like last year but no shitty winter and spring this next time! You Can see how sandy my soil is, added the good stuff and tilled it up. 

6B8BE72C-734C-47E9-85E5-903353436564.jpeg

1CFE2E0F-0E26-417F-933F-EF776FA159A6.jpeg

75D2A37C-B6F5-431B-B141-0DC0199A6345.jpeg

2E727128-A7A1-4A9A-A4ED-6B0387AC18A8.jpeg

B1AC548B-4EB1-411E-BD8E-F8ABAB8BE39D.jpeg

EC912738-6342-4670-9855-F6D1720EEB28.jpeg

53E443F4-EB5A-4650-B3C2-E24ED92DF624.jpeg

D552142D-1EDB-4BF1-8DA9-11FB78BB7DE4.png

• Like 6

Nice work man! Looks like a beaut. 

What’s your approach on water and fertilizer planting this late in the season? Seems like some advocate for fertilizing and watering on the heavier side going into winter to deal with leaching from heavy rains while others warn against it for fear of the new growth being tender and easily burned by the cold. 

17 minutes ago, Moe Exotic said:

Nice work man! Looks like a beaut. 

What’s your approach on water and fertilizer planting this late in the season? Seems like some advocate for fertilizing and watering on the heavier side going into winter to deal with leaching from heavy rains while others warn against it for fear of the new growth being tender and easily burned by the cold. 

You want to give the minerals for sure for root growth and potassium, magnesium, calcium, but very low nitrogen. Probably up there the soil will be too cold ( below 60F) for urea/ammonia nitrogen sources around Oct 1. 

An unhealthy palm is probably worse than an active growing one, but up there things probably slow down anyhow, unlike in central/southern Texas and Florida.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0848PW7NF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)